Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Electric Razor cleaning solution?

SirPandaEsq

New in Town
Hello all! Although most of my wardrobe and appliances, and cars are from last century, my electric razor is pretty top notch. I have a self cleaning Philips Norelco shaver that gives me the smoothest shave I've ever had. Smoother than my old safety razor, it sounds crazy I know. I keep a pretty big beard and use it to even out, and touch up my cheeks, but the cleaning solution is very expensive. I turned to using alcohol, but im not sure if that is the best solution, and it doesnt smell the best. I have decided to try Barbicide due to it having built in rust inhibitors and the fact that it has been around forever, it will match my pomade, Brylcreem, Talc powder, and everything else on the shelf from the era. Anyone else have any experience with these self cleaning shavers? If so, what do you use?

ShanghaiJack

One of the Regulars
900.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The alcohol above will do it. I have a Braun and was told by the razor dealer not to bother with the cleaning fluid/cleaner attachment. So I haven't. You can rinse mine under the tap every few weeks or spray it occasionally with razor cleaner or just brush the thing out which I do every week or two.

I had a grotesquely expensive self-cleaning razor about 10 years ago - I stopped using the cleaner after about 3 months and it made no difference to the performance.

Peacoat

Bartender
Alcohol works well as does hot water and Dawn dishwashing liquid. I brush mine out and then soak it in the Dawn solution or alcohol. Occasionally I will use the commercial cleaner, if I can find it.

SirPandaEsq

New in Town
I have been using alcohol, but the cleaning cycle takes 15 or so minutes and makes the bathroom and resulting hallway reek of alcohol. plus it evaporates so quickly it tends to leave the gunk at the bottom of the cleaning tray in the razor. Although seeing that the shaver only is used on maybe 15% of my face, I wont need to clean after every use and just use alcohol once a month lol

Peter Mackin

Practically Family
Clean it in boiling water after every use & a quick spray of cleaning & lube solution (Phillips) own make,,no issues on both my Phillips shavers and both always ready to go .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk