Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ellroy's Aloha shirt - where to procure one?

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
b00psp99_303_170.jpg

I'm wondering where James Ellroy gets his shirts. In particular I really like this one. I think the green is very vibrant.

Does anybody have any good leads? I have a vintage Aloha shirt and I love it, and I want to look at buying more. I really want to avoid the bad ones (which are the vast majority I suspect :rolleyes:)

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Reyn Spooner's never been a classic Hawaiian shirt. More the Southern California 70s idea / knock-off of classic Hawaiian shirts. What the L.A. & Orange County aging beach boys buy to try and look yacht-y and cool. "These aren't like my grandfather's Hawaiian shirts! they'll say, and alas, they're right. Grandpa's Hawaiian shirts are the ones that ARE what's really cool. They're also really pricey. I'd rather buy two classic or classic reproductions instead of Reyn-Spooner. And I'm sure Ellison's not blowing money on Reyn-Spooner.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
^^^ so any leads Mike?

Personally I don't think Ellroy is wearing vintage. Just not his thing from what I see. He normally wears high end preppy with a porkpie or flat cap. Or ecclectic, like a Purdy shooting sweater.

dr greg

One Too Many
Mike in Seattle said:
Reyn Spooner's never been a classic Hawaiian shirt. More the Southern California 70s idea / knock-off of classic Hawaiian shirts. .
Well, not quite, I have an original Reyn's shirt from the 50's which would have to qualify as classic, and full marks to the current label for working WITH instead of ripping off (like some Japanese labels I believe) the Shaheen family to keep some of their classic designs in circulation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff