Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ELMC Californian review.

yakima

One of the Regulars
From the front, the jacket is perfect.

My only issue is the back. The half belt looks to sit about 2-3 inches above the true waist.

Probably just me, but to my eyes, it looks too high.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Thanks a lot guys! I have only worn it one evening and it is quickly becoming my favourite jacket.
I'm surprised by how much i enjoy the lightness of it... There is something to be said about the armour feel of FQHH, but it is a nice change to have something that drapes nicely and doesn't weigh a ton.
Also, it just looks so damn cool!

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
The fit is great and the hide is beautiful, enjoy wearing it!

If there is anything that bothers me, it's the very high positioning of the half belt. But that's no issue related only to the Californian but a problem that many relatively short fitted half belt designs have. For me, a halfbelt looks best on a longer jacket such as the Teamster when halfbelt and leather straps sit where a waistband or belt would sit on another jacket.

I wish I could get a tailored jacket that looked/fit that well... Don't know if I'm just not built for leather jackets, or I stink at taking measurements. Man, Carlos, all your jackets fit you perfectly. I'm jealous. Even thought I know you've had trouble with this one, and the CR from AL. Still, it was all worth it.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
One thing worth adding that i just discovered today, this jacket is really not the greatest at dealing with weather...
The leather has literally zero water repellency, it actually sucks water right in, no bead and drip, straight up absorption.
I walked to the shops under a small London drizzle and in no time the jacket felt humid.

So great for the sunshine and the warmer months, not so good if you want to have a jacket to wear in every possible weather conditions.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That is interesting re the reaction to water. I always assumed this and the Vicenza were quite similar but the limited exposure my Vicenza jacket has had to water so far has seen it repel and bead up really well.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Don't get me wrong, it's not as bad as suede or completely raw leather, the water will bead if it's a big enough droplet, but if you rub your sleeve while wet you can see the water just soak in as you rub.
Even more so on the panels that are super creased.
I have done tests on the "American walnut" sample i have and it is even more obvious as it leaves a darker mark where the water soaked in.

I thinks it's probably due to the fact that the leather is vegetable tanned, and has very little top coat. It is pretty much matte and not waxy or oily at all, so it makes sens that it's not super waterproof.
I'm honestly not bothered, i bought this jacket as a dressier summer jacket. Something that i can wear without looking to much like a biker and that is lightweight.
If i want something that will withstand the elements i can just go for my AL Cafe Racer or my Lewis Leathers.

I was actually talking about that with Diamond Dave the other day, he was saying that Shinki leather has a tendency to be very matte, and soak up water, so he adds a top coat to it.
From what i have read it is common for veg tanned leather to not react greatly to water. Maybe the vincenza also has a more water repellent top coat.

Last edited:
My heavy Aero FQHH HBD sucks up water too...but the Shinki Ventura repels water pretty well in comparison.
I don't tend to wear leather in the rain if possible.

yakima

One of the Regulars
This is how high a half belt should go....

8wMg49.jpg

mendelboaz

One Too Many
I love wearing my leather jackets & boots in the rain :) if it's good quality leather, it can take it and look the better for it. If it's a new jacket, all the better because the jacket will mold better and break in faster. Just wear it, treat the jacket with your choice of conditioner when need be after a dozen years of wear and forget about it :)

Selvedge denim in the rain though... Stiff as heck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner