Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ELMC's new line …

zhz

Practically Family
I think Gary try to match his non-leather products' price to the Japanese brand now.

And I think it is make sense, because I see more Asian wear ELC/ELMC than British now. Seems they have a really good market in Asia

Last edited:

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Antique 1903 canvas army bag used but the modifications actually reduce the value to close to worthless. As for Asian market except Japan, I am worried whether they can stay competitive given the devaluation of Yen. For Japanese market, they do buy pretty much anything made in Europe and USA. You can find Aero, Lost Worlds, White's, Wesco selling at a premium in Japan not to mention Red Wing, Chippewa mass brands.

I don't get it, though. Okay, brand new leather jackets are one thing, at least they bother convincing you you've bought something that's useful, practical, gonna last you a lifetime, whatever, but how in the world do you justify buying that horrible bag to yourself? I'm guessing the point behind the thing is to make you look like you don't care, but at 500 GBP, you can't even do that right. The fact that I'd feel like the worlds worst poser aside, problem is I wouldn't dare letting that thing out of sight for a second! Wost part, whoever would steal the bag would probably move it for $5... Thank God for Hipsters, huh.

And can anyone tell me, what's with the Japanese obsessing over that ancient biker stuff all of the sudden? I know it's a trend, but it's a damn expensive one and once it dulls out in a three or so months, what's gonna happen with all those $3000 jackets, $2000 boots and $1500 3/4's?

http://www.elmc.co/watch-cap-black-p-92.html <- sadly, compared to everything else on the site, this seems to be reasonably priced. lol

Blackadder

I don't get it, though. Okay, brand new leather jackets are one thing, at least they bother convincing you you've bought something that's useful, practical, gonna last you a lifetime, whatever, but how in the world do you justify buying that horrible bag to yourself? I'm guessing the point behind the thing is to make you look like you don't care, but at 500 GBP, you can't even do that right. The fact that I'd feel like the worlds worst poser aside, problem is I wouldn't dare letting that thing out of sight for a second! Wost part, whoever would steal the bag would probably move it for $5... Thank God for Hipsters, huh.

And can anyone tell me, what's with the Japanese obsessing over that ancient biker stuff all of the sudden? I know it's a trend, but it's a damn expensive one and once it dulls out in a three or so months, what's gonna happen with all those $3000 jackets, $2000 boots and $1500 3/4's?

http://www.elmc.co/watch-cap-black-p-92.html <- sadly, compared to everything else on the site, this seems to be reasonably priced. lol
That obsession has been going on for a very long time. They have been scooping up a lot of vintage things on the market since the 80s. I doubt it will cease in a few months unless the Japanese economy completely went bust. In any case, we should thank them or we will not get all these nice repros. One of the reasons Levi's started the LVC line is because of the Japanese. The Japanese started making repro big "E" Levi's in the 90s and Levi's eventually caught on and started the LVC to make repros themselves that ended the Japanese's licence. The Japanese still regularly produce Lee and Wrangler repros under some sort of licence because Lee and Wrangler have no interest in doing so.

Last edited:

ProteinNerd

Its a double edged sword though, the demand from japan for this stuff may have increased the choice on the market but unfortunately, its also driving the prices up to ridiculous levels as well.

Blackadder

Its a double edged sword though, the demand from japan for this stuff may have increased the choice on the market but unfortunately, its also driving the prices up to ridiculous levels as well.
I can't wholly agree. The Japanese did drive up the real vintage market as those are antiques and there are only so many. On the repro market, the price is driven by not just the demand but the supply as well. The "ridiculous" price drew in a lot of players which increases the competition, that should in turn drive the price back down if not for the trade protectionism and Government intervention. For example, the recent devaluation of Yen should have increased the pressure on many European and American makers but with the high import duties and sales tax that they imposed on foreign goods, the American and European makers have a cushion against such pressure hence the price failed to come back down like that of the Japanese's.

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
problem is I wouldn't dare letting that thing out of sight for a second! Wost part, whoever would steal the bag would probably move it for $5... Thank God for Hipsters, huh.
To me that thing only looks like a $5 bag and well worth passing up in a charity store. leave all that junk off it and it may look kind of decent.
Reminds me of the old British Army gas mask bag I used to take my swimming kit to school in :)

Mark Ricketts

One of the Regulars
I look at this not as a functional bag, but rather as a one off piece of art. My three criteria for art are, expensive, difficult to understand and essentially useless. The bag hits all three, which turns it into a must have.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
In short, the Japanese believe that Japan made products are the best in the world (this must be true, because everyone bought a walkman, drives a Toyota, right?), and therefore buying anything 'authentically' made in the west is seen as a massive status symbol, especially if it is hugely over-priced, since it says 'I've got taste AND a load of disposable cash'.

The Japanese have very protectionist non-tariff barriers to hinder foreign companies doing business in Japan (for example, every single US made car made in the US by a non-Japanese brand that is imported into Japan, 'must' be subjected to individual safety inspections that push up the price and slow imports). They also have a law that requires Japanese ownership of companies in Japan (at least 51% stock ownership). Foreign companies choose to set up Japanese owned subsidiaries rather than import in order to avoid non-tariff import barriers, but then lose control of the brand in the Japanese market (including pricing). This is why Levis cost twice as much in Japan. Starbucks and Burberry recently terminated their Japanese subsidiaries, and now operate as foreign companies in Japan, and accept the non-tariff barriers since the previous Japanese management was exposed for human-rights violations of workers that have a negative effect on their global brand image.

That's kind of the short version.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
In short, the Japanese believe that Japan made products are the best in the world (this must be true, because everyone bought a walkman, drives a Toyota, right?), and therefore buying anything 'authentically' made in the west is seen as a massive status symbol, especially if it is hugely over-priced, since it says 'I've got taste AND a load of disposable cash'.

The Japanese have very protectionist non-tariff barriers to hinder foreign companies doing business in Japan (for example, every single US made car made in the US by a non-Japanese brand that is imported into Japan, 'must' be subjected to individual safety inspections that push up the price and slow imports). They also have a law that requires Japanese ownership of companies in Japan (at least 51% stock ownership). Foreign companies choose to set up Japanese owned subsidiaries rather than import in order to avoid non-tariff import barriers, but then lose control of the brand in the Japanese market (including pricing). This is why Levis cost twice as much in Japan. Starbucks and Burberry recently terminated their Japanese subsidiaries, and now operate as foreign companies in Japan, and accept the non-tariff barriers since the previous Japanese management was exposed for human-rights violations of workers that have a negative effect on their global brand image.

That's kind of the short version.

That is very likely to be the repercussion of the American presence in Japan right after the War. They tried so hard to get rid of the foreigners which results in the system that you have just described. But in general, they still admire foreign imports, wine (grape wine in Japan), for example, is a luxury to consume, while for some countries in Europe, wine is almost as cheap as mineral water.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
That is very likely to be the repercussion of the American presence in Japan right after the War. They tried so hard to get rid of the foreigners which results in the system that you have just described. But in general, they still admire foreign imports, wine (grape wine in Japan), for example, is a luxury to consume, while for some countries in Europe, wine is almost as cheap as mineral water.

Absolutely right. The Japanese call MacArthurs occupation command, GHQ, 'Go Home Quickly'.

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
And yet they have an almost obsessive desire to dress like 1940/50's Americans, both in military and civvie clothing styles! Guess that's why ELC are styling this range and are able to price them accordingly.

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
And yet they seem to have an obsessive desire to dress like 1940/50's Americans! I guess that's why ELC are styling this range and pricing them accordingly, that's the market they know will spend that kind of money...

Big J

Call Me a Cab
And yet they seem to have an obsessive desire to dress like 1940/50's Americans! I guess that's why ELC are styling this range and pricing them accordingly, that's the market they know will spend that kind of money...

Yes, it seems strange in a way that the Japanese fetishizes the culture of the country that beat them in the war, but I think this fulfills a neo-Confucian need to see everything in a hierarchy. Also, I think that a lot of it with regards to Buzz Ricksons, Real McCoys, and the high end military reproductions is related to the way that post-war Japanese society has fetishized war over the last 69 years in the total absence of Japanese body bags coming home from overseas conflicts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart