Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Emily Post

colleency

One of the Regulars
In doing some research, I found Emily Post's 1922 edition of "Guide to Etiquette" online at http://www.bartleby.com/95/subject_frames.html

I thought maybe some of you might be interested, as this edition was hard for me to find in person. The only hardbound library editions in the Los Angeles/Orange/San Bernardino areas are in private university libraries.

shindeco

A-List Customer
I've always found that Emily Post had a real sense of humour in her writing. My copy is the 1956 Edition and the introduction to the wedding chapter is VERY funny. There's no way she couldn't have meant it to be that way either. Her successors (daughter-in-law and granddaughter successively) have not matched her in the wry comments.

For example, the following; from the section on dinner table conversation:

"At dinner once, Mrs. Toplofty, finding herself next to a man she quite openly despised, said to him with apparent placidity, "I shall not talk to you -- because I don't care to. But for the sake of my hostess I shall say my multiplication tables. Twice one are two, twice two are four--" and she continued on through the tables, making him alternate them with her. As soon as she politely could, she turned again to her other companion."

Post, Emily (1956) "The New Emily Post's Etiquette", New York: Funk & Wagnalls Company, p. 360.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21