Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

AndrewC

New in Town
I browse around quite a bit on the lounge, but I don't post that much. But I would like to share some pictures of my latest purchase - Viberg Chromexcel Engineer boots. I have wanted these for a while, but they are not always available, and the price is a little steep. I just happened to check the Viberg website a couple of weeks ago and they had posted them for sale again, but there were few sizes left. After determining that I would take an 8.5, in a moment of weakness I managed to grab the last pair available. They arrived one week later after travelling across Canada, very well packaged - each boot in its own cloth bag, wrapped in bubble wrap, double boxed. They were comfortable right out of the box. They did take a little bit of getting used to because they have an unstructured toe and even though the length is good, there is a little pressure on the top of my big toe because it contacts the leather due to the toe box being quite shallow. I checked with Viberg and they said this is normal and that with some wear they will stretch a bit. If I could design my own boot, they would be exactly like this. An 8" height - shaft circumference is only 14", so I can even wear them with slim cut jeans, and catspaw soles and heal.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very nice. Are those in D or E width? May I know what size sneakers you wear? I am thinking of ordering a pair but I wear extra wide and have to go up half a size with their service boots. These however look to be wider than the service boots.

AndrewC

New in Town
No problem - my present footwear is:
Reebok sneakers 9.5
Saucony sneakers 10
Sketchers shoes 9.5
Clarks dress shoes 9.5
Wolverine Stockton 9.5
Whites Semi dress 8.5E

The Vibergs were listed as 8.5 and are stamped 8.5 with no letter designation so I am assuming they are a D width. The footbed length is exactly the same length as the whites and the wolverines (11"), but it feels a little shorter due to the lower toebox height (I am assuming). For reference, both my feet measure 10 5/8" long and 4" wide. But again fit is subjective. These feel to me to be at the smaller end of my "fit spectrum", but still comfortable.

ultrark2004

Familiar Face
I saw those a few weeks back but didn't realize until Sat that they were UK size, went back to get them & now all that's left are 6 & 12 so no go. My understanding is there not gonna be made again

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No problem - my present footwear is:
Reebok sneakers 9.5
Saucony sneakers 10
Sketchers shoes 9.5
Clarks dress shoes 9.5
Wolverine Stockton 9.5
Whites Semi dress 8.5E

The Vibergs were listed as 8.5 and are stamped 8.5 with no letter designation so I am assuming they are a D width. The footbed length is exactly the same length as the whites and the wolverines (11"), but it feels a little shorter due to the lower toebox height (I am assuming). For reference, both my feet measure 10 5/8" long and 4" wide. But again fit is subjective. These feel to me to be at the smaller end of my "fit spectrum", but still comfortable.
Thank you very much. I think for me lengthwise 8.5 but still not quite sure about the width and last.

Dav

One Too Many
White's Nomads in distressed smooth, very much inspired by jimmer_5 earlier in this thread!

That's it for boots for a while, time to spend some money on the house!

EDIT

Unless I find the money for some Roll Clubs that is. ;)

Last edited:

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
They look great...I Wouldn't mind a pair of Whites in Nat CxL. I have some semi dress in it, and I really like them. I've heard the distressed is the toughest leather they have....lots of good times ahead in them Nick. How do they compare to your Boss for fit and finish and comfort?

pawineguy

One Too Many
White's Nomads in distressed smooth, very much inspired by a jimmer_5 earlier in this thread!

That's it for boots for a while, time to spend some money on the house!

EDIT

Unless I find the money for some Roll Clubs that is. ;)

Wow Nick! Gorgeous - well done. The distressed leather really looks great right out of the box, but I'm sure it will get better and better.

Dav

One Too Many
Thanks Gents. I must say, they are very comfortable out of the box, more so than the Boss's, especially those steel toed ones which are still giving my toe some grief. Having said that, the 1930's Boss were quite tight when new, but now are supremely comfortable, so I suspect they'll get there. Better a bit tight than a bit loose IMO! I've taken a 10D in all of them btw. As for finish, I think I'd put the Wesco's just a shade higher, not a lot, they're just a bit neater where the double stitching ends that's all, certainly nothing to be concerned about.

Last edited:

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Dav,

Sick boots man!! Been thinking about that same makeup but in roughout. I know what you mean about the sole stitching but I think it can in large part be attributed to the two different stitch down methods. Wesco like Viberg employ a traditional stitch down, while Whites use a modified style more attuned to a Norwegian welt so there's more slop

How's the room in the toe box compared to your others?

Dav

One Too Many
Thanks for the info. The toe box in these is very comfortable, not as restrictive as the 1930's, I've got room to lift my big toe a touch whereas the 1930 I haven't. They feel about the same room wise as the steel toed ones, my feet just need to get used to a hard toe again in those.
I think they'd be awesome in rough-out!

art89b

Familiar Face
Ok, here are some pics of the new White's Nomads! It only took me three pairs to get to the classic black color. These are pretty much built to my "signature" specs - round toe (no option on White's anyhow), double midsoles, and Vibram Composition Half soles. Since White's uses a thinner Quabaug heel, I took a leap of faith this time and ordered the boots with an extra heel lift. This added an entire 1/4 inch to the height of the heel. I would probably have been happier with 1/8" extra, but I'm going to give it a chance. The heel did end up being the same height as the heel on the standard Nomads with Vibram 100 lug soles, so it should be manageable. Otherwise, they are just what I expected. The standard black smooth leather is very nice, and the build quality is superb as always.

I think the pics describe them better than I can, so here you go! I included some heel height comparison pics for reference.

i still remember the day you asked me where i got the picture of the black nomad boots, lol. between beautiful boots. how are they holding up? if you ever decide to sell any of your size 12.5-13 boots let me know asap. i just ordered a pair of Navy Chromeexcel nomads, will be posting a pic up once they get here =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana