Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
So I got myself a pair of Fryes...

Based on Marineabilly's photos, I decided to get a pair of the Frye Brando boots. Found them new on eBay for right around $150. Here's a pic after 2-3 weeks of pretty constant wear:

4448756600_44053dedb4.jpg

My impressions thus far:

I'm actually quite happy with these and have been wearing them a lot. The color is hard to capture in a photo, but it is a darkish red-brown, that in some light looks almost black, but in other light has a deep almost cherry tone. The leather is nice with tons of character. Some areas have a pronounced grain, while others are relatively smooth. It seems durable, but I must agree with others that it is definitely thinner than what you see on the "true" engineer boots from Red Wing, Wesco, or Chippewa. I don't have motorcycle myself, so I think these should work just fine for my purposes.

Fit: Everybody on Zappos said to buy a half-size small, which I did, and they fit fine with average socks. With thicker woolen socks or an added insole, you might want to go with your normal size.

Comfort: They feel pretty good. Not quite as comfy as my Chippewa Katadin boots, but still pretty good. I've been wearing them all day at work and my feet are just a bit sore at the end of the day. They seem to be getting more comfortable every day-- not sure if they are just breaking-in (they seemed pretty malleable to begin with) or if my feet are toughening up. Either way, I'm not complaining too much...

Extra: These have double leather sole with a thinner black half-sole attached. They came with a blackish edge-dressing that I removed. I might be crazy, but I think it gives them more of a vintage appearance, a la Mr. Freedom's worn in repro's.

Overall, I'm pleased with them, and for around $150, think they were a good deal!

Chainsaw

Suspended
The boots you guys are probably after are made on the East coast. There's a 6-12 month waiting list for them.

Those are fantastic though! Good score.:eusa_clap

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Omg those are breaking in extremely lovely. And fast :eek:
I have had mine for a while now and they hardly seem worn in the toe/foot area
just some subtle creases wich seem to almost come out if its humid.

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
those Frye Brando's look great...

I'd have never have gone for them based on the stock sales photos but after seeing you picture and reading the write up I've gotta say I'm up for a pair!

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Those Frye Brandos are real nice, with the low profile toe and double shaft buckle. I'm a US 12 and my 'no name' black horsehide engineer boots have steel toes, making them a bit too bulbous to wear with trousers/chinos for smart events, but great with jeans... My wife and I will be in Memphis & New York over the next coupla weeks, seeing friends, and I'll be keeping an eye out for those Fryes!

These are my faves, a pair of vintage Acme buckle boots, guess they're more western than engineer, but I think they've got a good portion of golden era style... I darkened my own pair all over with polish and they've got a lovely patina...

DSCF0030.jpg

DSCF0032.jpg

marineabilly

A-List Customer
That seller is INSANE!!! We know the high price tags associated with Japanese items - not even THEY would have the nerve to list these boots a this price. At the most, the Japanese would price it at about $2,000. I personally wouldn't do more than $1,000 on these.

I scored three Rare and Amazing boots at VLV that blow these out of the water. Don't have them yet, but trust me... They ROCK!!

jimmer_5

Practically Family
marineabilly said:
That seller is INSANE!!! We know the high price tags associated with Japanese items - not even THEY would have the nerve to list these boots a this price. At the most, the Japanese would price it at about $2,000. I personally wouldn't do more than $1,000 on these.

I scored three Rare and Amazing boots at VLV that blow these out of the water. Don't have them yet, but trust me... They ROCK!!

If you don't mind me asking. what's VLV?

jon z

One of the Regulars
Vintage Boots on eBay Looking Set to Sell High

Check out item 350337757642. A 7 day listing with over 6 days to go with the bidding standing at $609 already from a $19.99 starting price!

jon z

One of the Regulars
marineabilly said:
Jon Z, I'll definitely post my Engineer Boot acquisitions on my blog once they come in.

Saw those boots an hour after they were listed. They'll definitely go for a lot - I'll be posting my review (2 cents) on them.
I look forward to seeing them & envy you being able to get to VLV.

Those boots on the bay remind me of the pair s_crumb posted previously in this thread. You made the comment about them that you'd never seen the copper rivets in both the leather & the half sole area. These boots have this also so I guess they are pretty rare. If you don't mind asking will you be bidding?

marineabilly

A-List Customer
jon z said:
I look forward to seeing them & envy you being able to get to VLV.

Those boots on the bay remind me of the pair s_crumb posted previously in this thread. You made the comment about them that you'd never seen the copper rivets in both the leather & the half sole area. These boots have this also so I guess they are pretty rare. If you don't mind asking will you be bidding?

Yeah, VLV was a great time!! I plan on bidding, but frankly the boots from VLV, to me, are much more amazing.

jon z

One of the Regulars
Well I wish you luck with your bidding. I wont be bidding against you BTW. Only because I can't afford to right now. Now I'm even more excited at seeing the VLV acquisitions if they outshine these.

girliegirlvint

New in Town
I have a question re: vintage engineer boots - Some one gave me (yes gave-they were going to toss the 'old boots') a of pair of Hermans (size 9) exactly like the ones S Crumb posted about in this thread. They are in great broken in condition except for one thing - a mouse chewed a corner of the boot opposite the calf buckle on one boot. I know this affects value - there is an excellent shoe maker I have all my other vintage shoes repaired by before selling them. Should I have him put the corner back-it would be a patch-but a very good one. Or just leave them.

Please weigh-in. Thanks in advance.

univibe88

One Too Many
girliegirlvint said:
I have a question re: vintage engineer boots - Some one gave me (yes gave-they were going to toss the 'old boots') a of pair of Hermans (size 9) exactly like the ones S Crumb posted about in this thread. They are in great broken in condition except for one thing - a mouse chewed a corner of the boot opposite the calf buckle on one boot. I know this affects value - there is an excellent shoe maker I have all my other vintage shoes repaired by before selling them. Should I have him put the corner back-it would be a patch-but a very good one. Or just leave them.

Please weigh-in. Thanks in advance.

Hello fellow beantowner!

It is kind of hard to say without seeing a picture. But if they would be wearable without being repaired, I think you should leave them original. But if they are otherwise unwearable, then get it repaired.

Mad w/o power

New in Town
jon z said:
eBay item no. 230456712026. A 'steal' at $3600. C'mon marineabilly time to make a new acquisition?

Wow, I'm a little stunned; I just held these boots in my hands a few days ago. I'm sure some of you are familiar with Heller's Cafe - I used to sell him vintage leather from time to time, so every once in a while now, I go check out what he's got. Anyway, he was the winner of this auction, apparently. Great, thick, stiff hide and interesting cream piping but a little short for my tastes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner