Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

girliegirlvint

New in Town
Ok - here are the pictures of the still dirty boots and the damage at the top of the right boot-overall its less than an 1/2 inch of leather missing - leave alone or have repaired (the person I would take them to is excellent-it would be a very nice repair/patch)-I don't want to further diminish the value of them.
100_3110.jpg

100_3109.jpg

girliegirlvint

New in Town
Marineabilly -thank you, I was hoping you'd chime in - seriously, don't clean them or fix them - leave them just as they are dirt, crud & all?!

Love your blog btw Marineabilly - wealth of info!

marineabilly

A-List Customer
Yes - dirt, crud and all. Based on the photo's, the "damage" is negligible. IMO, you'll lessen the value if they are cleaned or perform any type of repair. If the buyer wants clean boots, they can easily do it themselves - this is the look people pay good money for.

Thanks for the kind words!!

Good luck!! PM coming your way.

volatile

A-List Customer
Hey MB - what are your tips for cleaning old boots, and for keeping boots in good condition? Do you recommend polish? Or saddle soap? Or just dubbin?

Can you recommend any particular products, or even techniques?

marineabilly

A-List Customer
Sorry GGV, you don't have PM capability - was just going to send you more boot info.

Honestly, I really don't clean my boots. I let them age naturally leaving all the scuff marks and dirt. Whenever I do get a wild hair to clean them, I use either Saddle Soap (conditions and leaves the leather soft and supple as well as preserves the leather) or a product I picked up recently called Pecards Antique Leather Dressing for your vintage leather items.

Using a boot brush, I'll remove the dirt. For caked on dirt, I use a wet cloth or paper towel with plain water then use the boot brush once again. Once it's free of dirt and dry, I'll either grab a polishing cloth (or cotton t-shirt) and wrap it around one or two of my fingers nice and tight, dab the oil and use a small circular motion (spit shine technique) to apply it evenly over the entire boot (crevices and creases) or use just my fingers (messy, but it cleans right off). I'll then let the leather absorb the oil for at least an hour. If the boot is really dry, I'll let it sit over night. Whatever the boot hasn't absorbed, I buff out with the boot brush. The boots will be shiny for a little bit, but becomes dull after normal use. I never use boot polish - that's only used for black combat boots IMO.

girliegirlvint

New in Town
Nope - no PM privileges :( (yet). I was only thinking of wiping off the 50+ years of dust from them. The leather is very supple-he took good care of these boots. A gentle wipe with a soft damp cloth was about all I would do.

I understand about wanting them to look worn - I am that way about my paddock boots for riding horses. You look like a 'city slicker' when your boots are new - takes for ever to mess'em up. I rarely if ever clean them.

Thanks again for all your help!

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
marineabilly said:
Do not clean them - leave as is. Good looking boots and very good size! You can get some descent scratch for them.

I scored a rare pair of studded/jeweled engineer boots last night - check out my blog for pics.
Dang. Glow in the dark, too. Seriously, put a geiger counter
on those puppies before too long so you know what you're dealing with.
Probably safe enough, but don't polish them in your lap...

bradford

Familiar Face
Griemersma said:
Based on Marineabilly's photos, I decided to get a pair of the Frye Brando boots. Found them new on eBay for right around $150. Here's a pic after 2-3 weeks of pretty constant wear:

4448756600_44053dedb4.jpg

My impressions thus far:

I'm actually quite happy with these and have been wearing them a lot. The color is hard to capture in a photo, but it is a darkish red-brown, that in some light looks almost black, but in other light has a deep almost cherry tone. The leather is nice with tons of character. Some areas have a pronounced grain, while others are relatively smooth. It seems durable, but I must agree with others that it is definitely thinner than what you see on the "true" engineer boots from Red Wing, Wesco, or Chippewa. I don't have motorcycle myself, so I think these should work just fine for my purposes.

Fit: Everybody on Zappos said to buy a half-size small, which I did, and they fit fine with average socks. With thicker woolen socks or an added insole, you might want to go with your normal size.

Comfort: They feel pretty good. Not quite as comfy as my Chippewa Katadin boots, but still pretty good. I've been wearing them all day at work and my feet are just a bit sore at the end of the day. They seem to be getting more comfortable every day-- not sure if they are just breaking-in (they seemed pretty malleable to begin with) or if my feet are toughening up. Either way, I'm not complaining too much...

Extra: These have double leather sole with a thinner black half-sole attached. They came with a blackish edge-dressing that I removed. I might be crazy, but I think it gives them more of a vintage appearance, a la Mr. Freedom's worn in repro's.

Overall, I'm pleased with them, and for around $150, think they were a good deal!

I have a pair of these as well. Great boots! Now if I can just convince my wife to let me get a Triumph Bonneville motorcycle to go with them :D

kyboots

Practically Family
Engineer Boots

Guys You know I love my boots and wear them all the time. It is great to hear about the engineers that have been purchased and worn here lately. The Fryes are great boots and I have a pair of black and brown engineers. The black boots have both a harness ring and a buckle and strap which looks great. The Wescos are still the heaviest, strongest, boot in the bunch, thicker leather and your foot and ankle are well protected. Still my top choice; but the Frye have a look of strength and youth that I still love too. I would buy all my boots the same size as my shoes and most folks would agree.There should be some slippage initially with the heel, but the boot conforms to your foot and instep. Some boots may run large but most fit the same as your walking shoes. I have to agree with not cleaning the boots. Unless you wear them to work and they have to be shined, I would leave "em alone; just wipe with a cloth or brush and be on. Let the leather age, change and grow old naturally. Nothing better than wearing a pair of blue jeans and some old classic style boots.Thanks. John

jon z

One of the Regulars
Sugar Cane's Lone Wolf Boots

After much deliberation, watching the limited number of Japanese stockists willing to ship internationally selling out of my size fast I've taken the plunge & placed an order for a pair of these.

My thanks to Marineabilly for the useful reference post 'Lone Wolf Engineer Boots - Are They Worth It?' on his Vintage Engineer/Motorcycle blog. This had a great influence on my decision to buy.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
jon z said:
After much deliberation........I've taken the plunge & placed an order for a pair of these.

I think your trying to get a divorce lol

j/k but you seem on a roll these days, any chance to see them on you together with the sweet jacket?

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Fantastic boots Jon! I am planning on a ordering almost the exact same pair from Wesco, but in brown leather. I think that the Lone Wolf boots look like the best pair available, but I don't think they offer them in a size 13!

Looking forward to your review.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner