Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

01flhr

One of the Regulars
It might have to do with puncture resistance. Thats the only function i can think of if your wanting to make an all leather boot. Most bootmakers will use a flexible steel sole sandwiched between the inner and outer so that the soles are puncture resistant. Some people hate these inserts because they have a tendency to squeek when you walk. I get it if thats the purpose behind these super thick soles, but, i wouldnt buy pr soles if i didnt have to have them and if i had to have them id just deal with steel. I only wear flat soled boots because i feel 6ft1 is tall enough and dont want an elevator.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Laces are the devil...

Seriously though, if you want slip-on, the choice isn't huge. You have harness boots, engineers, western boots, the weird Australian boots with elastics on the sides, and wellies!
Engineers are definitely the nicest ones of all the previous choices IMO.
Yup! Engineers are my go to. There are pecos boots, but not many companies make those.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
OTE="ButteMT61, post: 2288003, member: 16378"]OK, no offense, but those boots would make me never want to get a pair of Engineers. I know we all are diff taste, but the soles look ridiculously thick to me. I mean, I've had dozens of pairs of all sorts of good boots over the years and never anything like that was needed nor desired. Can someone explain that to me?[/QUOTE]
Butte,
Those boots look very similar to my natural CXL Nomads by Whites:
IMG_1616.JPG

These boots have a double midsole and while I can not claim that this adds anything in terms of function or utility I do like the way they look. These are my second favorite pair of engineer boots, after the Wesco 7400s I mentioned earlier.

Double leather has one advantage over steel shanks as I learned on my way to Ireland/UK two months back. Even though we're "Pre-TSA" and get to normally run through the gates, the steel shanks in my Red Wings (I think I had those on) set off the alarms. So, for that sin, they tore my bags apart too. I was bummed to say the least...

Americanaaa Mark

A-List Customer
OTE="ButteMT61, post: 2288003, member: 16378"]OK, no offense, but those boots would make me never want to get a pair of Engineers. I know we all are diff taste, but the soles look ridiculously thick to me. I mean, I've had dozens of pairs of all sorts of good boots over the years and never anything like that was needed nor desired. Can someone explain that to me?
Butte,
View attachment 82945
These boots have a double midsole and while I can not claim that this adds anything in terms of function or utility I do like the way they look. These are my second favorite pair of engineer boots, after the Wesco 7400s I mentioned earlier.[/QUOTE]
Nomads are underrated I think. I rarely ever see them.

01flhr

One of the Regulars
Wow. Ive done enough flying that my go to airport attire is a backpack with all my necessary items, tshirt, nylon workout style shorts and either sandles or crocs. I hate fooling with the tsa folks.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Found a pair of vintage Harley Davidson engineer boots, same brand and model worn by Arnold Schwarzenegger in Terminator 2 for about $75. They're my first pair of engineer boots. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:

01flhr

One of the Regulars
Theres some joker on ebay trying to sell old pecos boots for triple what they cost new. Quite the deal

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Butte,
View attachment 82945
These boots have a double midsole and while I can not claim that this adds anything in terms of function or utility I do like the way they look. These are my second favorite pair of engineer boots, after the Wesco 7400s I mentioned earlier.
Nomads are underrated I think. I rarely ever see them.[/QUOTE]
I think it's because they are similar in price to Wesco, are not as well made as Wesco, and the last is not as nice looking as Wesco's MP toe. That said, they are certainly nicer than a pair of Red Wings.

ProteinNerd

After searching and searching here in Sydney for some Engineer Boots, I couldn't find anyone who stocked them anywhere. I had no idea of sizing so didn't want to order from overseas and risk back and forth postage costs. Luckily for me, I stumbled on an RM Williams sale for to-be discontinued styles so got these for a great price.

They aren't exactly engineer boots as they don't have the straps. Is there an actual name for the style or are they just "pull on boots" or something?

4b7130ebf5d28659da5a47995e99d788.jpg

devilish

A-List Customer
In America that style is known as the 'Pecos' or 'Roper'. Being as those are RM Williams, I'm sure they're good quality and will last a long time. Nice find.

01flhr

One of the Regulars
Those have some niced sized loops for pulling on. Alot of other makers have those loops but you can barely get a finger through. Several of the makers now are putting awful shafts on their boots because theyre made to be worn pants tucked too. My preference is just something simple and understated.

Ok guys, I'm gonna sound like a total newbie, but whats the appeal of engineer boots? I've never owned a pair, and associate them with bikers, but that aside, I know literally nothing about them.
I spend my whole life in Converse sneakers, Dr. Martens or Danner boots. Kindly, what kind of cool am I missing out on?

I love the way they look. They're most beautiful and the coolest footwear that exists, as far as I am concerned. I think I may actually love engineer boots more than leather jackets just that I've always had crap luck with them. I don't even understand why I find 'em so cool. Without the strap, I wouldn't be caught dead in them.

But yeah, I've worn engineer boots for decades and they all sucked. All the ones I tried were an uncomfortable mess but I still love them. If I could find a pair that's good for me, I wouldn't ever wear anything else.

El Marro

Nomads are underrated I think. I rarely ever see them.
I think it's because they are similar in price to Wesco, are not as well made as Wesco, and the last is not as nice looking as Wesco's MP toe. That said, they are certainly nicer than a pair of Red Wings.[/QUOTE]
Dude, I agree that the Wesco MP toe has a nicer, more refined look than the Whites Nomad. I am not sure that I agree that Wescos are a better made boot however. The seams on my Nomads are all triple stitched whereas the Wescos are double stitched throughout. Aside from that I would say that build quality is quite similar, both are made to take a beating and keep on walking!
I definitely agree with you as far as new Red Wing engineers are concerned. My first pair of engineers was from the red wing heritage line. I like them just fine when I got them, but in retrospect they were a little more than fashion footwear.

Americanaaa Mark

A-List Customer
White's is def on par with Wesco but I think some recent changes in the company happened and a lot of old timers there left which saw a few problems in production with some orders.

Both brands have their share of high quality leather. Triple stitching is available at Wesco for a premium. I'm not sure White's makes the nomad with any other lasts.

I prefer Wesco but I don't think they are particularly better in build quality (maybe marginally?).

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I think it's because they are similar in price to Wesco, are not as well made as Wesco, and the last is not as nice looking as Wesco's MP toe. That said, they are certainly nicer than a pair of Red Wings.
Dude, I agree that the Wesco MP toe has a nicer, more refined look than the Whites Nomad. I am not sure that I agree that Wescos are a better made boot however. The seams on my Nomads are all triple stitched whereas the Wescos are double stitched throughout. Aside from that I would say that build quality is quite similar, both are made to take a beating and keep on walking!
I definitely agree with you as far as new Red Wing engineers are concerned. My first pair of engineers was from the red wing heritage line. I like them just fine when I got them, but in retrospect they were a little more than fashion footwear.[/QUOTE]
The only reason I say that they are worse is because of the much larger amount of stitching issues that I have seen from them vs. Wesco. Of course, White's is way closer to Wesco than they are to Red Wing and maybe those issues were only temporary.

Either way, if they had better lasts I'd probably get a pair. They aren't at the same level as Brass and Role Club, but they are extremely solid. I know Wesco does offer triple stitching and I definitely would never buy a pair if it only had double stitching so I do love Whites for that.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Of all the versions of this work boot, Aero's take is my favorite. Those Marcher ones. I don't really know why, I just love the way they looks. Maybe because they're least pretentious. Tho 1000 Mile boots are sweet too.

Check this price reduction here Monitor:
http://www.motolegends.com/boots/aero-jarrow-boots-black.html
I have this exact pair since May and I'm pretty satisfied, I have no idea how long they will last but they seem to be good quality. Lightweight and supple (the exact opposite of my Lennons which I also love).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21