Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

Check this price reduction here Monitor:
http://www.motolegends.com/boots/aero-jarrow-boots-black.html
I have this exact pair since May and I'm pretty satisfied, I have no idea how long they will last but they seem to be good quality. Lightweight and supple (the exact opposite of my Lennons which I also love).

Eh, not my size. I'm 11 or 11.5. Nice price, tho! Thanks! :D You should post some photos of yours. Never seen them in the wild.

01flhr

One of the Regulars
I forgot all about them but im going to look at wesco and nicks boots. Nicks makes a great looking smokejumper boot and they also make an engineer boot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

01flhr

One of the Regulars
The redwings i can believe but what about them puts them miles above a wesco?

Lost Ronin

One of the Regulars
I just had the good fortune of trying on Redwing 2268, Wesco, and John Lofgren engineers. I was amazed at the difference bumping up to Lofgren makes! What a beautiful and amazingly made boot. Miles above the other 2 brands.

Unfortunately Lofgren boots are not available in my EAR foot width as I would love a pair.

I own two pairs of Wesco custom boss engineer boots. I don't see how any boot could be miles ahead. Regardless of the maker.

My Wesco boots put my Chipewwa and Redwings to shame honestly. The stitching and the weight and quality of the leather and the buckles is far better on the Wesco boots. Granted they are twice as expensive and it's to be expected.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just had the good fortune of trying on Redwing 2268, Wesco, and John Lofgren engineers. I was amazed at the difference bumping up to Lofgren makes! What a beautiful and amazingly made boot. Miles above the other 2 brands.
I too would love to hear what made the Lofgrens so much better. I also envy you for having the chance to try on all of those great boots, sounds like you were visiting the boot store in heaven!

I just happened to be in SF. Standard and Strange is worth the BART trip to Oakland.
It might sound like a weird comparison, but Wesco to Lofgren is a bit like Aero to Real McCoys. Both are good and Wescos are well built (and heavier). Maybe that's your thing...,but putting on the Lofgrens was another beast all together. You can see the quality by looking carefully at the boot. The toe had a better shape IMHO, and the whole boot was more graceful on my foot. The leather (Horween) was more supple, but still very substantial. I was shocked TBH. I tried the Mister freedom Road Champs twice, and while I like the look, I feel the Lofgrens are more comfortable and maybe better made. The only thing is that they run a bit narrow.

01flhr

One of the Regulars
Best i can guess is that lofgren boots are less of a work boot and way more of a fassion boot considering their leather choices. Im not saying theyre not as good, but, i would expect the west coast boots to take a beating better.

Maybe, I prefer Wolverines to Redwings, and I can't stand boots that are extremely stiff or heavy...so you could be right. This is all just my observations anyway ;). I encourage folks to compare brands in person...I'm amazed at how my opinion changes once I've handled an item in person vs. reading/seeing it online.

01flhr

One of the Regulars
Ive been wearing work boots for 20 years for different occupations. I can say with certainty if i buy a pair of boots that arent stiff and heavy to start they wont last very long in a work environment. Wescos are made to be worked...hard. if a boot is loose to start its only going to get worse. Just like a good leather jacket theyre best when youve had to break them in and build their character.

Lost Ronin

One of the Regulars
Unfortunately Lofgren boots are not available in my EAR foot width as I would love a pair.

I own two pairs of Wesco custom boss engineer boots. I don't see how any boot could be miles ahead. Regardless of the maker.

My Wesco boots put my Chipewwa and Redwings to shame honestly. The stitching and the weight and quality of the leather and the buckles is far better on the Wesco boots. Granted they are twice as expensive and it's to be expected.
I just happened to be in SF. Standard and Strange is worth the BART trip to Oakland.
It might sound like a weird comparison, but Wesco to Lofgren is a bit like Aero to Real McCoys. Both are good and Wescos are well built (and heavier). Maybe that's your thing...,but putting on the Lofgrens was another beast all together. You can see the quality by looking carefully at the boot. The toe had a better shape IMHO, and the whole boot was more graceful on my foot. The leather (Horween) was more supple, but still very substantial. I was shocked TBH. I tried the Mister freedom Road Champs twice, and while I like the look, I feel the Lofgrens are more comfortable and maybe better made. The only thing is that they run a bit narrow.

That's a good analogy. It makes sense too.

I had my Wesco boots built on the old style 9109 Last with the bump toe. Wesco leather is very thick. Maybe too thick. The seem to take forever to break in fully. After three weeks of daily wear of 4 hours or more a day they are about 85% broken in. The first few days were awful. LOL. These were custom made to my measurements. But I've got terrible feet. ERE width. High arch and huge ankles. Everything that makes wearing pull on boots of any kind almost impossible.

As a work boot, I believe Wescos are very good. I don't put mine through their paces like some might. I think both White's and Wescos are pretty good value considering they can be custom built.

Kato

Familiar Face
My Redwing 8271 PT91 relasted, rewelted ,resoled and changed buckle by Dr.Sole

21034571_285647901841244_5547834457833090456_n.jpg

20883078_285647898507911_5631985696911736933_n.jpg

21077258_285648061841228_2860490962279096758_n.jpg

Harris HTM

One Too Many

may I ask how do the wesco engineers fit compared to the Chippewas? Thanks

Lost Ronin

One of the Regulars
may I ask how do the wesco engineers fit compared to the Chippewas? Thanks

The Wesco boots do for better than the Chipewwa boots, but to be fair, the Wesco boots were custom made to my measurements.

The Chippewa for good. Though for me they are about in the toe box and the shaft barely clears my calves. If you have larger legs then the Chips may not did your legs. My calves are 16.5 inches around for reference. I was a boxer and later a bodybuilder. Most people don't have an issue with their legs not fitting the shaft of pull on boots. So it's not usually an issue.

The Wesco boots are snug. The leather is very thick and heavy. Break in was not fun. I removed the insoles and wore regular cotton crew socks the first few days. Then I went to thicker boot socks and then back to gold toe brand socks. Which are between regular cotton and a true thick boot sock. I put some flat gel inserts in and now they are almost perfect. I wear them all day and they are easy on my feet

The Chips are much thinner leather which is good for break in. They break in very quickly because of the thinner leather. For the money the Chips might be the best boots around. Hope this helps.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
The Wesco boots do for better than the Chipewwa boots, but to be fair, the Wesco boots were custom made to my measurements.

The Chippewa for good. Though for me they are about in the toe box and the shaft barely clears my calves. If you have larger legs then the Chips may not did your legs. My calves are 16.5 inches around for reference. I was a boxer and later a bodybuilder. Most people don't have an issue with their legs not fitting the shaft of pull on boots. So it's not usually an issue.

The Wesco boots are snug. The leather is very thick and heavy. Break in was not fun. I removed the insoles and wore regular cotton crew socks the first few days. Then I went to thicker boot socks and then back to gold toe brand socks. Which are between regular cotton and a true thick boot sock. I put some flat gel inserts in and now they are almost perfect. I wear them all day and they are easy on my feet

The Chips are much thinner leather which is good for break in. They break in very quickly because of the thinner leather. For the money the Chips might be the best boots around. Hope this helps.
Thanks for your reply! I do own a pair of chippewas size 9 but they are rather large. I would like to order a pair of wescos since the exchange rate ia perfect. But I haveno idea what size I should order.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21