Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

trapp

Practically Family
"....I'm sure there are hundreds of places in China could make outstanding engineer boots, but you'd have to be prepared to pay close to Western money for them."

To me this is the whole point. Regardless of the country of origin, if you have someone offering to make a pair of custom engineer boots for $200, the laws of economics pretty much guarantee you're not going to get a good boot. Plenty of obvious reasons for this (cost of quality materials, skilled labor, etc).

I'd have to guess that nobody, anywhere, bangs out a quality engineer boot for $200, or even $300. Seems wishful thinking to hope they will.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
An ebay auction of a pair of Wearmasters soar
c73b36168a6d72b673d09a17e43ca89e.jpg
a1feb2de6f711e259fc41e43a2c79b79.jpg
from $50 to $1023!! The seller probably was shocked

4ec456f2808c35caea4239914737c43a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dm101

A-List Customer
Unbelievable...
I just went by the local cobbler shop to see my buddy and figure out how to remove the insoles from these Calvin Klein Ugilio engineer boots I just bought.

He looks at them and tells me how to replace the insoles, then says...
"Hey man, if you like those CK boots...take a look at these!"

He then proceeds to pull out a pair of Frye 7" engineer boots with a rear zip...
The same ones I looked at online for close to $400 dollars and thought I could never afford or even think about running past the wife...

Then he says...
"Yeah, they're nice man. Some guy brought them in for new soles and never came back. They've been here for 4 months now. Try em on, see if they fit..."

I tried em on...a little loose, but they don't slip. More comfortable than the tight ck boots...and already broken in too!
I was over the moon. He must have seen it in my face and as I looked up with joy on my face...He says...

"For you, ehhh...$90..."

[emoji43][emoji15][emoji50][emoji312][emoji313][emoji445][emoji1487][emoji1474]

I took my wallet out, paid the man before anyone else could, and hugged him.
After laughing, he told me the story of the boots and the Louis Vuitton purse they came in with. Apparently a guy dropped off both for him and his wife (soles on boots, zipper on purse) while they were here for a conference. They left town and forgot their stuff, by the time they were contacted they were already back in Florida and told my cobbler friend to sell them. [emoji50][emoji3][emoji38].
The purse sold for $700 the same day, and of course I just got the boots today for $90.

Now to put some insoles in them and rock out! I may have to get some grip soles put on them though. These leather soles are slippery as hell...lol. I just did a running slide across my lab floor like Michael Jackson. [emoji23]
ac68a2178bd3be46693612bd3db7de32.jpg
3f216774f7e224e35892d0cc4e1280fe.jpg

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Unbelievable...
I just went by the local cobbler shop to see my buddy and figure out how to remove the insoles from these Calvin Klein Ugilio engineer boots I just bought.

He looks at them and tells me how to replace the insoles, then says...
"Hey man, if you like those CK boots...take a look at these!"

He then proceeds to pull out a pair of Frye 7" engineer boots with a rear zip...
The same ones I looked at online for close to $400 dollars and thought I could never afford or even think about running past the wife...

Then he says...
"Yeah, they're nice man. Some guy brought them in for new soles and never came back. They've been here for 4 months now. Try em on, see if they fit..."

I tried em on...a little loose, but they don't slip. More comfortable than the tight ck boots...and already broken in too!

He says...
"For you, ehhh...$90..."

[emoji43][emoji15][emoji50][emoji312][emoji313][emoji445][emoji1487][emoji1474]

I took my wallet out, paid the man before anyone else could, and hugged him.
After laughing, he told me the story of the boots and the Louis Vuitton purse they came in with. Apparently a guy dropped off both for him and his wife (soles on boots, zipper on purse) while they were here for a conference. They left town and forgot their stuff, by the time they were contacted they were already back in Florida and told my cobbler friend to sell them. [emoji50][emoji3][emoji38].
The purse sold for $700 the same day, and of course I just got the boots today for $90.

Now to put some insoles in them and rock out! I may have to get some grip soles put on them though. These leather soles are slippery as hell...lol. I just did a running slide across my lab floor like Michael Jackson. [emoji23]
ac68a2178bd3be46693612bd3db7de32.jpg
3f216774f7e224e35892d0cc4e1280fe.jpg

That's a good find, and a great price for sure! I think those are actually harness boots, rather than engineer boots, but I'm no boot snob and like both types. ;) And you're obviously happy with them, so congratulations! I would kill myself in leather soles, so I agree with adding the grips.

Dm101

A-List Customer
That's a good find, and a great price for sure! I think those are actually harness boots, rather than engineer boots, but I'm no boot snob and like both types. ;) And you're obviously happy with them, so congratulations! I would kill myself in leather soles, so I agree with adding the grips.

Thank you! It was such an awesome find!
There is such a huge quality difference between the Frye boots and the Calvin Klein boots.
The Fryes are just a better fit without any modification, whereas with the CKs I've had to add leather softener to stretch the toebox and while they fit and grip great, they took a bit of work.
Once I get the leather soles replaced on the Fryes with a Lug sole, and modify the harness strap into an actual STRAP with a buckle, they will be PERFECT!
Hah...I'm going to have a ton of fun modding these things!

Last edited:

Dm101

A-List Customer
Aaaaaand I'm upset.
These CK boots are bleeding dye so badly it may as well be dog fur.
I put my leg up on my knee to look at the boots...dye stain on my cargos.
Grrrr...

These Fryes came in right on time. Too bad I can't return the bloody CKs though.

Dm101

A-List Customer
An ebay auction of a pair of Wearmasters soar
c73b36168a6d72b673d09a17e43ca89e.jpg
a1feb2de6f711e259fc41e43a2c79b79.jpg
from $50 to $1023!! The seller probably was shocked

4ec456f2808c35caea4239914737c43a.jpg

Goodness gracious!
What is the history with those boots that they would command such a high price?
I mean...they're beautiful, but it takes more than that for me lol.

regius

Goodness gracious!
What is the history with those boots that they would command such a high price?
I mean...they're beautiful, but it takes more than that for me lol.

This one is a bit insane, pathological, abnormal.... what is the buyer gonna do with this???? As reference, RRL sells vintage engineers, some restored some not, the restored ones are done by two LA makers whom I know, so, say, RRL sourced the beat up
Boots at $500 each, spent $300 fixing up, and retail at $900-$1028.
Sole old ones they retail at $1000-1500.
If the winner of these is a RRL purchaser, he will have to retail them at $1280-1500 to make sense. At that price, who’s buying? RRL stopped selling originals as they don’t make money, just for show. Johnny Depp wears engineers and has the money but he’s not a connoisseur and is happy with his 80s Sears.

Dm101

A-List Customer
I guess...
That's just insane. Like that crappy beat up homeless vagrant wear that Kanye West is marketing as high-line and high-priced clothing for hipsters.

Yeah right....i'm not paying thousands of dollars to look homeless.
(NOTE: no offense to the homeless population. Been there, done that....don't wanna ever do it again)

Blackadder

This one is a bit insane, pathological, abnormal.... what is the buyer gonna do with this???? As reference, RRL sells vintage engineers, some restored some not, the restored ones are done by two LA makers whom I know, so, say, RRL sourced the beat up
Boots at $500 each, spent $300 fixing up, and retail at $900-$1028.
Sole old ones they retail at $1000-1500.
If the winner of these is a RRL purchaser, he will have to retail them at $1280-1500 to make sense. At that price, who’s buying? RRL stopped selling originals as they don’t make money, just for show. Johnny Depp wears engineers and has the money but he’s not a connoisseur and is happy with his 80s Sears.

Repro makers may pay that kind of money these days for original boots and jackets that they can re-engineer. Look at the price of those 30s to 50s repro engineer boots, a thousand US for the original design is not a lot if it is a one-off production cost. Incidentally, one repro maker has changed its name to WearMasters.

regius

Repro makers may pay that kind of money these days for original boots and jackets that they can re-engineer. Look at the price of those 30s to 50s repro engineer boots, a thousand US for the original design is not a lot if it is a one-off production cost. Incidentally, one repro maker has changed its name to WearMasters.

Please tell, which one? ;)

Mich486

One Too Many
They look really cool but I think my feet would rebel against such a low toe box. Where did you get them from?

I got them directly from Attractions: https://attractions.co.jp/who-we-are/ sent an email and placed an order, paid with PayPal and waited about 3 months. The specific model I wanted wasn’t in stock so had to wait. Communication was done by email and the person I interacted with had pretty good English and was very responsive.

I think it’s a fairly standard toe box like you’ll find on most boots, I have wide and fairly chunky feet and I don’t feel restricted at all. I confirm what most people say that these run a good half size larger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR