Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

Edward

Bartender
Is there a definitive book on engineer boots / motorcycle boots, a la Rin Tanaka's works on the leather motorcycle jacket and Bell (Buco?) Helmets? Would be fascinatin to see the differen eras, feaures and such all pulled together from c.1930 - 1990 or so.

Dm101

A-List Customer
I am loving my engineer boots.
Just took the Frye pair to the cobbler to have a grip put on the bottom of them. Tired of sliding around...lol.
The CK boots I wear daily are my absolute favorite right now, they just fit right.
Ah dangit, I meant to tell my cobbler buddy to try and raise the toebox on the Frye boots...I knew I forgot something.

*facepalm*
:oops::oops::oops::oops:

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
https://www.carolinashoe.com/902

These haven’t been mentioned much, but they are USA assembled according to the website and i quickly located a spot selling them for $140. Obviously not meant as a comparison to any of the top tier makers but if you’re trying to figure out if you like engineer boots before dropping $1,000,000 on unicorn hide with stacked loch ness monster heels, these may be worth a look.

Edward

Bartender
https://www.carolinashoe.com/902

These haven’t been mentioned much, but they are USA assembled according to the website and i quickly located a spot selling them for $140. Obviously not meant as a comparison to any of the top tier makers but if you’re trying to figure out if you like engineer boots before dropping $1,000,000 on unicorn hide with stacked loch ness monster heels, these may be worth a look.

Here in the UK, I would recommend Grinders for that purpose.

Edward

Bartender
The Rebel Biker Boot model actually doesn’t look half bad. Especially given the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first pair of engineers was their 'Wild One' model - very chunky, huge commando sole. Unbeatable in snow. The construction is impressive, though I am sure that if compared directly to the likes of a Red Wing, you would see a difference in the leather quality. I know there are people who wear Grinders as actual riding boots; for anyone who doesn't need that, day to day they are cracking boots. Also have some CAT engineers. Lovely looking, very comfy, though I suspect a bit too 'soft' for actual bike wear. For twenty quid, though, I couldn't say no! (Bought on eBay from somebody who received them as a gift, never worn, full retail £120... ) I'd love to see some Sendra engineers in the flesh, just to compare.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had two pairs of Attractions. If it’s not for the sleek look, I’d never go back to them because there is something fundamentally wrong about the heel construction. Simply, it’s not balanced (longitudinally/front to back), when you walk and land on your heel/tarsal, the heel sends a shock wave up your spine... I don’t know if they’ve improved that

bluesmandan

A-List Customer
I got them directly from Attractions: https://attractions.co.jp/who-we-are/ sent an email and placed an order, paid with PayPal and waited about 3 months. The specific model I wanted wasn’t in stock so had to wait. Communication was done by email and the person I interacted with had pretty good English and was very responsive.

I think it’s a fairly standard toe box like you’ll find on most boots, I have wide and fairly chunky feet and I don’t feel restricted at all. I confirm what most people say that these run a good half size larger.

So you should order 1/2 size smaller than usual?

Mich486

One Too Many
I had two pairs of Attractions. If it’s not for the sleek look, I’d never go back to them because there is something fundamentally wrong about the heel construction. Simply, it’s not balanced (longitudinally/front to back), when you walk and land on your heel/tarsal, the heel sends a shock wave up your spine... I don’t know if they’ve improved that

I don’t feel any difference with respect to my other engineers in terms of walking. I think sizing here plays a role too.

Mich486

One Too Many
So you should order 1/2 size smaller than usual?

That is what most people say about Attractions from what I can gather online and it is my experience as well. Some even suggest to drop a full size but I’m not sure about that. Leather stretches with wear of course but I believe going down half a size from usual is the safest advice.

Blackadder

I have two pairs, an very early Lot 268 and a pair of sample Lot 444. My Lot 444 is definitely more comfortable than my Lot 268. I think they changed the leather, the leather on the early model is very rigid which makes them very difficult to put on and/or break in.

Mich486

One Too Many
I have two pairs, an very early Lot 268 and a pair of sample Lot 444. My Lot 444 is definitely more comfortable than my Lot 268. I think they changed the leather, the leather on the early model is very rigid which makes them very difficult to put on and/or break in.

The steer on the lot. 269 is very stiff (heavy top coating) but it seems to be loosening up with every wear. Haven’t handled the horse butt (444) but it looks much more pliable and spongy. I wanted a deeper shade of black so went for the 269.

Is there also a difference in last between the old 268 and 444?

bluesmandan

A-List Customer
Put some crepe soles on my Butteros. Ordered off Amazon from 7 degrees north. Barge cement. Turned out nice... made them quiet, have shock absorption, and better traction.
d0cd0844bff7cb748afb48101ac406de.jpg

regius

Put some crepe soles on my Butteros. Ordered off Amazon from 7 degrees north. Barge cement. Turned out nice... made them quiet, have shock absorption, and better traction.
d0cd0844bff7cb748afb48101ac406de.jpg

You did the work yourself?

bluesmandan

A-List Customer
You did the work yourself?

Yep. It’s not hard. Trace out some slightly oversize pieces. Clean your soles with acetone. Apply barge to the shoe sole and the new sole, let it sit 15 minutes to dry, then stick it on. It will be stuck!!! (Like “when you accidentally let tape stick to itself” stuck.)Then take a sharp thin knife and carefully slowly trim off the excess with your blade at a 45* angle so the rubber outsole is tapered at the edge. Some people like to wrap the shoes with rubber bands going around the sole to act as an overnight clamp. I didn’t do that this time, but I have before. I used 3mm crepe.

regius

Can anyone comment on factors used to determine what heel height one should select if there are options
good timing, so, the pair of 100th anniversary Wesco that came in today has a "vintage" heel height, which is 1.875" tall measured at the highest vertical dimension. Unlike my previous Wesco boots, which have 1.75" and even lower heels. At 1.75" and lower, you stand and walk very "flat", you feel your foot is parallel to the ground, but at 1.875", you start to sense you are on a forward incline and on high heels. When you walk, the corner of the heel touch the ground first and shocks your system, luckily the wesco rubber is cushy compared with the Attractions so I quickly adapted.
Having said so, it's also to do with other aspect the arch geometry. My cowboy boots all have pretty high heel vs. the sole, and I know I'm standing on high heels, but I don't get "heel shocked" when walking and that' s because the cowboy heel is angled.
In any case, could you specify the type of boot, then it'll be easier to answer.

regius

one main factor would probably your spinal health, :) do you have lower back pain? do you have bowed out legs? do you have anterior pelvic tilt? these physiological conditions/characteristics would come in to play big time when it comes to heels..

Blackadder

The steer on the lot. 269 is very stiff (heavy top coating) but it seems to be loosening up with every wear. Haven’t handled the horse butt (444) but it looks much more pliable and spongy. I wanted a deeper shade of black so went for the 269.

Is there also a difference in last between the old 268 and 444?

The last is different. The horsebutt used on the old lot 268 is very rigid. My fd bought a newer lot 268 which uses a softer horsebutt like my 444.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
No particular pair in mind but it is an option in the Wesco boot builder. I think i’d prefer a shorter heel. I have great toe arthritis and the more forward i am pitched the more pressure it places on the toe.
good timing, so, the pair of 100th anniversary Wesco that came in today has a "vintage" heel height, which is 1.875" tall measured at the highest vertical dimension. Unlike my previous Wesco boots, which have 1.75" and even lower heels. At 1.75" and lower, you stand and walk very "flat", you feel your foot is parallel to the ground, but at 1.875", you start to sense you are on a forward incline and on high heels. When you walk, the corner of the heel touch the ground first and shocks your system, luckily the wesco rubber is cushy compared with the Attractions so I quickly adapted.
Having said so, it's also to do with other aspect the arch geometry. My cowboy boots all have pretty high heel vs. the sole, and I know I'm standing on high heels, but I don't get "heel shocked" when walking and that' s because the cowboy heel is angled.
In any case, could you specify the type of boot, then it'll be easier to answer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy