Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I think you’re getting much more creative than i am. I really don’t have much of a design eye. That makes the cartoon drawings of the Wesco boot builder not very useful for me.
I’m hoping for 10” black horween steer with boss toe and raptor malt sole. I’m oscillating a little on the sole. I dont think the profile is quite as nice but i’ve had them on other boots and find them really comfortable. This will be my first pair of made to measure. If it works out i will do a british tan build with a little more traditional sole. I have a few pair of RW engineers with different heel heights and i’ve found that for me 1.5” is the best for walking around. That’s my current hang up. When leaving the house if i think i’m going to be doing a lot of walking i just wont wear the engineers. Trying to fix that.
Where did you find info on Wescos different lasts?

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
adc5f652e34cf242ef49f60bbf7ef25d.jpg
6b178c9adb384fd62076d2d03fe1cab1.jpg
some amazing upcoming re-last work by James. A complete redo of a botched Santa Rosa. Only when you open up the boots can you know how wrong it was... not anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mich486

One Too Many
Some horsehide Old Joe’s I picked up on Yahoo auction Jp for a good price. Solid as a rock the leather is super thick (which worked well in aiding me to flatten the tons of cardboard boxes I have after my recent house move).

d9ddc00558b7fbc045dd041713230f0f.jpg

Mich486

One Too Many
Some horsehide Old Joe’s I picked up on Yahoo auction Jp for a good price. Solid as a rock the leather is super thick (which worked well in aiding me to flatten the tons of cardboard boxes I have after my recent house move).

d9ddc00558b7fbc045dd041713230f0f.jpg

adf16178b79f52be6b7a8396927387b1.jpg

Mich486

One Too Many
ATTRACTIONS CO STEERHIDE LOT269 in the urban jungle of Singapore! Fits like a glove after quite a break-in period
7daef293113abc8a97a2b37f6499f6a3.jpg
109389845961d63f5a98c1d9da512fa7.jpg

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Wow so also the steer ones do eventually show some brown! I need a lot of work to get mine anywhere near yours!

johanhej

Familiar Face
For those of you who've tried, or better yet own, the Lofgren engineers and the Wesco engineers in MP1339 last / MP toe:
How would you compare these fit wise?

I heard the Lofgren has a bit more width to them.
How's the space around the heel compared to the Wesco?
Are they similar in terms of shaft width?
Do people generally take the same size in these two boots?

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I take a 10 and could probably fit into a 9.5 in the Lofgrens and have a 10 and would prefer a 10.5 in Wesco.

Heel room feels similar. The Lofgrens are wider in my experience too. Both of mine are quite loose in the shaft and have always been easy to put on.

johanhej

Familiar Face
I recently got to try the Wesco MP toe / MP1339 last. While the boots were really nice, the last just wasn't suitable for my feet. They had too much taper for me, and were putting pretty hard stress on outside of my big toes.

Which other engineers are there, offering a rounder toe? My feet are by no means wide, it just seems I need some more space for the big toes.

Are Lofgrens better? Are there any other?

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Yes, but i’m paranoid slightly (if you can be?). They fit so good that i’m aprehensive about the raw denim effect where if new jeans aren’t a little uncomfortable out of the box they will be too big down the road. I 1/2 sized up from my RW IR and 1 size down from my brannock. I think this is the way to go. I just have thin, narrow, flat feet. The length is where it should be.

COMFORT: These almost felt like gym shoes from the start. The foot bed is lush. Just crazy comfortable.

ODOR: The smell! Just wow. I put them in the closet overnight and the next morning was gifted with that deep rich CXL aroma.

HEELS: I have tried two other brands with the same heel height. They just seemed to force a heel strike when walking creating a somewhat jarring effect. These are not doing that at all. My guess is this is due to a combination of lower overall boot weight and narrow shaft. At any rate easy to walk in.

FIT: I have the opposite problem of many who have a high instep and larger calves. I have a low instep and slim (o.k. Really skinny) calves. They slide on easily. I think the shaft is on the narrow sidebut that is what i need. I am at the tightest instep strap hole but that’s pretty much going to be the case in any boot. The toe box is nice and roomy. Heel has a nice cup out of the box.

LEATHER: No big surprises here. Horween cxl. Nice and pliable. I’m looking forward to see how they age.

PURCHASE: I purchased the boots from Standard and Strange. I suspect those of you who have purchased goods from them will not be surprised to hear that the customer service was absolutely top notch. I’d sent an email inquiry and Neil, one of the proprietors, resonded. He patiently and thoroughly answered about 10 more emails. Before sending the boots to me I received pictures of the exact pair being sent for my approval. Neil answered several more emails after the arrival of the boots. The only other retailers i have ever encountered who provide a similar level of service are Chris over at Wesco and the Iron heart crew.

I am going to do my best to complete an as inpired by @navastea one month challenge within the limitations of work and well, i probably won’t go running in them but you never know.

Photos to follow

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a feeling JL engineers have evolved & been updated since 2015. Mine was from 2015, not that great, but it could just be me. For me, only the second generation Julien RRL fits “like gym shoes”.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points