Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Based on insta it would seem that everyone in Japan wears engineer boots and there are more varieties than cereals at the grocer. I’d love a shot at trying some on. I particularly like most of what Zerros does. I can’t believe there is no market a US importer could capitalize on. I guess everyone who would be interested is on this thread.
They do love engineer boots. Especially if you go to the repro and vintage shops and you will see quite a few of the staff and customers wearing engineer boots. However, I do find a lot of them wearing real vintage (rebuilt) ones.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
A Boot Story
Chapter 1
2 months ago, in the winding path towards engineer boot Nirvana I was attempting a custom build with an outstanding outifit but there was some concern regarding sizing. I was hesitant to order a custom (non-returnable) pair only to have them arrive 4 months later and not fit. I was aware that Lofgren were available but was hesitant to jump into that price point. It was in my disappointment about the custom option stalling that I found myself writing a late night email to Standard and Strange with some questions regarding sizing. A moment later a reply came directly from one of the proprietors. Over the next hour we exchanged nearly 20 emails. His attention to customer service was really inspiring and I placed an order for black boots first thing the next morning. When the boots arrived I was not disappointed. The construction is great and the fit works perfectly for me. They have rarely left my feet in the last two months.
Chapter 2
One month after the initial purchase while purusing some sites I saw that S&S was offering a $50 gift card for every $250 spent. Knowing that I would “need” $200 worth of shirts or pants in the future I reasoned that I could add some variety to my boot life by purchasing a burgundy pair of Lofgrens at a substantial discount. I was enjoying the first pair so much, and with the holidays approaching I decided to splurge and treat myself. The burgundy arrived and did not disappoint. I’m not sure if it is possible but they seemed even more comfortable. The hardesr part about owning two great pairs of boots is picking which one to wear each day (I’m sure i’m preaching to the choir here jacket junkies). For me, the burgundy are a no go at work (the black are really pushing it too) so they were getting a slow break in during the evenings. In 5 evenings of wear I received 3 compliments from strangers. Certainly a new personal record. Things were going great.
Chapter 3
After one month of quite moderate wear I observed substantial grain developing on the left boot. Not unattractive, but certainly noticeable. None of the other 3 boots had a 5th as much. It wouldn’t bother me at all if the left and right were developing at this rate together but the fact that they were not had me concerned enough to reach out to S&S with a photo and an email. I heard back the next day. I am including with permission S&S portion of the email chain:

One
What's happening here is the leather has a looser grain tightness on the left boot than the right boot. Variation in grain tightness is normal for leather - you're correct, is it a natural material and not a consistent plastic substrate made in a laboratory by people wearing face masks.

However....while it's arguable whether or not that level of grain tightness may be in 'spec' or not ---- it looks like crap. It's certainly not up to my standard of a pair of engineer boots that cost nearly a grand. I'm sorry you had to go through this - but don't worry, I stand behind what we sell at the store and we'll take care of you!

Two
Hey Doug - you're welcome! We do QC every pair of boots that comes into the shop, and again before we ship them out - but sometimes the issue you're having doesn't make itself known until you wear em for a bit. I looked a bit more closely at the photos and there may be some actual loose grain in some areas - where the leather is separating and you can feel an air bubble, like a blister. That's pretty rare and is definitely a defect in the leather.

Here's a shipping label to return the boots attached. Let me know if you need me to send out a shipping box + packing supplies as well, happy to do that if needed.

Three
We do have to return things to vendors from time to time because of various QC issues - usually we catch it before we sell them, but we're not perfect and sometimes we miss it. But for me, I'm not terribly concerned that an issue exists (as long as it doesn't get repeated) with one of our vendors, I'm more concerned with how it's handled.

Either way, we stand behind what we sell (and so does John Lofgren). I actually sent John your photos and talked to him about it and we both said "no way would I pay a grand for those boots! Let's replace em!

Chapter 4
All is well that ends well. I just wanted to give S&S their due credit. In an increasingly depersonalized electronic society it feels reassuring to encounter an organization who values service, has standards, and cares about their reputation. Most of the world now is sadly automated operators and stock replies.

Below is a photo of the issue

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
58DC1B6A-016A-440B-9D25-C28FC8857EC8.jpeg

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree the Phigvel are comfy for wide feet.
Motor are more tide for feet and less confort.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
I have two pairs of Motor and it is the Motor Gen 3 that is one of the most comfortable boots I own. Reason is I personally find the Horween CXL to be the best leather for boots. I never get any chaffing or scratch wearing CXL boots (my Motor Gen 3, my Lone Wolf, my Viberg are all CXL) and I can't say the same about some of the other boots I own. Oil leather like CXL is also easily serviceable if you get a minor scratch or water stain etc.

Docxm

Familiar Face
Just got in on a GMTO over on Reddit for a pair of Winson Engineers in Maryam toscanello horsebutt. First pair of engineers, so hyped.

Docxm

Familiar Face
Group Made-To-Order

And yes, I think it's Emil. He has a lot of his work on Instagram, and there are a few reviews of his MTO shoes/boots on Reddit. He mocked up a sample pair of his engineer boots and they look great. It'll be my first pair of engineers!

Mich486

One Too Many
Just got in on a GMTO over on Reddit for a pair of Winson Engineers in Maryam toscanello horsebutt. First pair of engineers, so hyped.

Have you got a picture of the prototype?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Docxm

Familiar Face
Here are some prototype pictures using some random leather he had laying around. The actual boot is going to use brass flat roller buckles and have a lower, more sharply curved woodsman heel. I'm paying a $300 deposit then $300 more at completion. Also a pic of variations of the actual maryam toscanello leather that is going to be used

Attachments

• Sp0snyj.jpg
    Sp0snyj.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,489
  • NE57S5K.jpg
    NE57S5K.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,594
  • Screenshot_20191229-091708~2.png
    Screenshot_20191229-091708~2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,672

Mich486

One Too Many
Nice silhouette.

Yes they need some better buckles, those in the pic look a bit too chunky.

Post a pic or two when you get them ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana