Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

Mich486

One Too Many
It’s undoubtedly a risky ($$$$) game purchasing from Japan.

I guess a second hand near new pair is a good starting point as the chances to resell it for what you paid for if it doesn’t fit are higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edward

Bartender
View attachment 203737 Fd's Role Club arrived. Remarkable boots but I still can't see myself spending over a grand on a pair of work boots.

Interesting how much higher the lower straps are on these as compared to pretty much any other boots I see - these are more truly ankle-straps rather than over the vamp.

Both Clinch boxes I’ve seen report exactly the same three sizes that Blackadder mentions above:

1 - the Clinch size (not sure what’s the meaning of this)

2 - the US size which is = to Clinch - 1

3 - the UK which is 0.5 less than US

The current pair that fits is a Clinch 10/US9/UK8.5.

I’m normally a UK8/EUR42 in boots/shoes. Unfortunately I never used the Brannock device, (I think it’s very uncommon outside of the US?). So with Clinch I say I’m half a size larger compared to my usual UK8. However, the conversion between US and UK size isn’t always straightforward. With Red Wing US = UK + 1 whereas in other cases is only 0.5 (like for Clinch).

Yes these are on the CN last with soft toe.

Useful to know that about Clinch - I once bought a pair of US made brogues on the (incorrect) advice that a US 8.5 = UK8/EU42. I've yet to buy any US footwear where I didn't need a US9. Engineer boots of course are another animal, given the slip-on nature does mean there can be much morE variation.

Handled a pair of Clinch EBs in Clutch Cafe a while back; as with so many things in there, out of my price range, but beautifully made. Filed under "when I win the lottery...." ;)

I have a few pairs of EBs now, including a nice pair of Red Wings and Chippewas; I think I'm going to hold off on that until I can make some Wescos a reality. The 'to order' model they do seems perfect for me, at a price I'm still willing to pay. Just need to figure out a way of being certain about the size before I risk it.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
I recently placed an order for the Wesco Mr. Lou engineers in black.. I did it through the Wesco website.. as of now no indication of when I might get them, the initial run sold out pretty fast and I "heard" they cant/arent making more currently because they don't have the buckles.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I think the Mister Lou silohuette is really a homerun. Unfortunately I’ve learned the expensive way that the mp toe doesn’t work for me.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think we are missing the width factor. Clinch whether NPT or CN are narrower than other Japanese made engineer boots. Most other Japanese made boots come in E width as standard compared to the D width norm in the US. So Clinch may be more "true to size" to the average/norm while say Attractions, Motor etc boots may feel loose/too wide. In any case, Clinch does advise people to size up.
I don't know what the return policy is with Role Club. We have a dealer here so we are able to try various samples (from size 7- 10 or 11 I think) on before ordering.
Blackadder, you mentioned "Dealer" in the same sentence as RoleClub, and I see you are in China (are you always?), so you are saying a shoe dealer in China sells RoleClub????? RoleClub is making stock boots for dealers? in China?? wow

regius

Both Clinch boxes I’ve seen report exactly the same three sizes that Blackadder mentions above:

1 - the Clinch size (not sure what’s the meaning of this)

2 - the US size which is = to Clinch - 1

3 - the UK which is 0.5 less than US

The current pair that fits is a Clinch 10/US9/UK8.5.

I’m normally a UK8/EUR42 in boots/shoes. Unfortunately I never used the Brannock device, (I think it’s very uncommon outside of the US?). So with Clinch I say I’m half a size larger compared to my usual UK8. However, the conversion between US and UK size isn’t always straightforward. With Red Wing US = UK + 1 whereas in other cases is only 0.5 (like for Clinch).

Yes these are on the CN last with soft toe.

I was just checking out the Clinch on STANDARD STRANGE, very nice heel shape and height, reminiscent of the movies boots worn by Brando, and SS wrote that the front of the foot is wide, and that the footbed is form-fitted etc, so I got tempted, but it could end up being an expensive experiment as SS seems to have restricted return policy. I'm very good in Wesco boots, US8.5E, or even D, I'm good in Alden's, Red Wing Iron Ranger 8.5. I wonder what size of Clinch I should get.

Mich486

One Too Many
Blackadder, you mentioned "Dealer" in the same sentence as RoleClub, and I see you are in China (are you always?), so you are saying a shoe dealer in China sells RoleClub????? RoleClub is making stock boots for dealers? in China?? wow

RC definitely makes stock boots for NemStore which I believe is in Taiwan. I bought from them through Instagram (not RC though).

Mich486

One Too Many
I was just checking out the Clinch on STANDARD STRANGE, very nice heel shape and height, reminiscent of the movies boots worn by Brando, and SS wrote that the front of the foot is wide, and that the footbed is form-fitted etc, so I got tempted, but it could end up being an expensive experiment as SS seems to have restricted return policy. I'm very good in Wesco boots, US8.5E, or even D, I'm good in Alden's, Red Wing Iron Ranger 8.5. I wonder what size of Clinch I should get.

If the last is the CN (classic narrow) I’d go with a 9US reg. I don’t have experience with the other lasts.

I think it depends a lot also on leather they are made of. The Italian horsebutt my first pair was made in was much more pliable than my current pair which is in Latigo. The Horsebutt is more forgiving and it moulds to your foot relatively quickly. They use very nice leathers.

regius

I have a somewhat urgent question, regarding Red Wing 2966, the soft toe engineer offer to overseas. I had a pair from SS, sold, in 9D, and now I'm thinking of another pair to keep. TheStrongHold is a stockist and can buy them for me from factory (they don't stock this), only 8.5D is left, no 9D, now I don't recall the fit for the 9D, only that it's very nice.
I wear 8.5 for Iron Ranger and everything, so I wonder if the 8.5 would work.

regius

So IR is 0.5 larger than other common Red Wings. The 2966 is 0.5-1 size tighter than the IR they say, which makes 8.5 fit, because I should actually wear size 8 IR.....

Blackadder

Just that there is a shop that would take the order and has a range of samples for customers to try. My placed the order and waited a few months to get his.

Blackadder

So IR is 0.5 larger than other common Red Wings. The 2966 is 0.5-1 size tighter than the IR they say, which makes 8.5 fit, because I should actually wear size 8 IR.....

If only it is that easy. My understanding is that not all Red Wing is D width. My Eat Dust RW Pecos is E width so I wear a size 9. IR and other RW I wear size 9.5. RW engineer, I need a size 10. So my question is if your IR is E or EE width, do you still wear a size 8?

regius

I cancelled. Too risky, I remember the 9D 2966 was fine everywhere & could use less toe space. But still, 8.5 may affect the instep fit ever so slightly & their leather is stiff. All my RW are in D width

RossRYoung

Practically Family
Anybody wear these for Moto riding? I now have a daily 3 hour commute, going to be buying a bike again but would like to have moto boots I could also wear for work. Being a banker and wearing a suit and tie everyday, I could get away with black engineering style boots but not sure if they’re recommended for riding.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I have. They’re ok provided they have a lower toe profile to fit under the shifter. You’d need a relatively wide cut suit pant leg.
Fwiw they are much better for riding than banking

Mich486

One Too Many
I think it’s very hard to get them working in a office... the only pair that could work should at least have a low block heel and a flattish toe. At that point I’d go with Chelsea boots and get a pair of proper engineers for casual wear.

RossRYoung

Practically Family
Appreciate the suggestions! Might have to just get a ride with a compartment for my loafers, didn’t think about the wide cut trousers too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm