Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The toes & instep looks rather like Wolverine 1000 miles that I once had...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
There are a pair of engineers on grailed, old post, listed as Wolverine 1000 miles. Never saw them on the Wolverine site. Wish they did currently make them for their 1000 mile line. I find their boots super comfortable.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
4A48B4CD-878B-439B-BC0E-3F95936BBC64.jpeg

Post Friday wipe down and brush. This is after two months of pretty consistent wear. That’s soccer dad wear not @Dav wear. Brown undertones are surfacing in high wear areas. Amazingly boots that were comfortable from the get go have become even more so. So much that I didn’t hesitate to have them as my only footwear for a walking weekend away.

regius

Ah, you may be right, I haven't visited the Julian website in ages, didn't know he still offers the engineer

Mich486

One Too Many
My second attempt with Clinch engineers. The first time i sized them wrong and were just too big. With the CN last I didn’t feel though to go down a full size and it’s just incredible how much of a difference half a size can make with slip on boots. They fit is now spot on.

I found these on Yahoo JP and all in they came at £720 which I think it’s a very good price compared to what they retail for. They are basically in new condition. The leather on these is really something else. I don’t think though I can justify the price they go for from the major resellers and I still think the Attractions last is sharper.

Anyhow here are a few pics

913c946bc7bd3797dafe8765ff68fff2.jpg

efd1ef6282366ba9b1d41e1294a058dd.jpg
f897c8d21a84cb4c8a9219d24df2eaee.jpg
3df8a597be3e1d039b68bbc389d8e331.jpg

Blackadder

My second attempt with Clinch engineers. The first time i sized them wrong and were just too big. With the CN last I didn’t feel though to go down a full size and it’s just incredible how much of a difference half a size can make with slip on boots. They fit is now spot on.

I found these on Yahoo JP and all in they came at £720 which I think it’s a very good price compared to what they retail for. They are basically in new condition. The leather on these is really something else. I don’t think though I can justify the price they go for from the major resellers and I still think the Attractions last is sharper.

Good for you. As I said I can't see myself spending over a grand on a pair of work boots but I got lucky when the local Clinch dealer went out of business. On the other hand, please bear in mind that a pair of 100th anni Wesco Boss engineer boots (same as the one owned by Regius) retail for over 150,000 yen in Japan.
https://search.rakuten.co.jp/search/mall/wesco+boss+100th/?f=1&grp=product

Blackadder

FD? You specified pure leather sole? Nice!!

My friend's, not mine. Yes he asked for leather outsole and a thinner leather mid sole. He came over for dinner after picking up the boots because my office is just 5 km from the dealer, 10 mins ride even with traffic.

Last edited:

leolou

New in Town

Wonderful boots .
How is the sizing differences between you other boots or shoes ?
Thank you.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Mich486

One Too Many
Wonderful boots .
How is the sizing differences between you other boots or shoes ?
Thank you.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Thanks. They are half a size bigger than normally I go for.

Blackadder

Clinch used to have its own sizing. I think Clinch size 10 = US size 9 but Clinch now states on the box the respective US and UK size. If you are getting the older ones from Japan, you need to double check if the seller means Clinch size or US size.
Engineer boots- top row Clinch size 9.5= bottom row US 8.5, UK 8
image0.jpeg

Plain toe boots Clinch size 10.5= US 9.5, UK 9
image1.jpeg

Last edited:

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Great thread traffic! Both pair look amazing. I remain slightly confused on the Clinch sizing. @Mich486 can you clarify? Are these the narrow cn last? What are their size, and your brannock size (or perhaps compare to other brand sizing).

@Blackadder my biggest concern re RC would be the custom sizing. I’m guessing if they don’t fit they can’t be returned.

Mich486

One Too Many
Both Clinch boxes I’ve seen report exactly the same three sizes that Blackadder mentions above:

1 - the Clinch size (not sure what’s the meaning of this)

2 - the US size which is = to Clinch - 1

3 - the UK which is 0.5 less than US

The current pair that fits is a Clinch 10/US9/UK8.5.

I’m normally a UK8/EUR42 in boots/shoes. Unfortunately I never used the Brannock device, (I think it’s very uncommon outside of the US?). So with Clinch I say I’m half a size larger compared to my usual UK8. However, the conversion between US and UK size isn’t always straightforward. With Red Wing US = UK + 1 whereas in other cases is only 0.5 (like for Clinch).

Yes these are on the CN last with soft toe.

Blackadder

I think we are missing the width factor. Clinch whether NPT or CN are narrower than other Japanese made engineer boots. Most other Japanese made boots come in E width as standard compared to the D width norm in the US. So Clinch may be more "true to size" to the average/norm while say Attractions, Motor etc boots may feel loose/too wide. In any case, Clinch does advise people to size up.
I don't know what the return policy is with Role Club. We have a dealer here so we are able to try various samples (from size 7- 10 or 11 I think) on before ordering.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Jealous. There are lots of boots that interest me and a try on would make all the difference. Currently very happy with my Lofgren but the only way 8 could commit t9 the price was because they were returnable. I took a $500 hit when selling my (equally lovely) Iron heart Wesco collab because the last just didnt work for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner