Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

razorwyre

New in Town
Thanks guys. I have been wearing them at work for the last 3 years. Once or twice I have treated them with Obenauf's. They get mineral oil splashed on them occasionally from the line of work that I am in, so that tends to keep them oiled up. Occasionally I wear them in the oil fields of west texas where they get covered in fine dust which saps out the moisture.

I'll try to get some better pictures next week.

767fo

One of the Regulars
I wanted to see if there would be any interest in my three pairs of Wesco's. All three are in brand new condition and mint. One pair is the Harness in black with standard souls,nickel hardware, height, and optional kevlar lining, 10.5E the other are the Boss in brown with brass hardware, standard height with kevlar lining, 10.5E and the last is the Highliner in brown with standard options, 10.5E. The Harness and Boss were customed ordered and the highliner was bought from their stock. The boots as we know are true quality but are just too heavy for me to wear. I will post pics in the classifieds if there is enough interest. I am asking 275.00 per pair plus shipping. Thanks

too much coffee

Practically Family
767fo;

Please list in the classifieds..........what have you got to lose. I might be interested in one pair. You can always list on other markets simutaneously.
Of course Fedora Lounge members deserve a discount versus the other markets. How about it?

Thanks,

coffee

767fo

One of the Regulars
Coffee,

I will have pics and a listing in the classifieds by tomorrow evening. I feel the price is very fair and when you see the boots I think you will agree. Thanks

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
I just got my Frye Brando boots resoled. Here are some pix--sorry they are so huge-- having formatting issues posting from an iPhone... more info on my blog.
IMG_6593.jpg

IMG_6583.jpg

Last edited:

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
I am seriously considering getting a pair of Wesco engineer boots, but I have a couple of Wescos already that are lace up. I am concerned that the boot will lift off the heal without being able to get a tight fit with laces. This happended to me once with a really nice engineer boot...has anyone else had this issue? Is it a matter of the right thickness of the socks to get the right fit? About to take the plunge but hesitating...dont want a pair of boots that I wont wind up wearing...Thoughts, thx.

Desert Rider

One of the Regulars
Jimmer,

Have you had a chance to break your Wesco Engineers? I am wondering if they are true-to-size? In other words, are they essentialy the same size as your regular boots and shoes, for example, red wings?

Derser Rider

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Jimmer,

Have you had a chance to break your Wesco Engineers? I am wondering if they are true-to-size? In other words, are they essentialy the same size as your regular boots and shoes, for example, red wings?

Derser Rider

I have been wearing them every other day since I got them, and they are starting to break in, but I wouldn't say they are totally broken in yet. The double midsoles make them somewhat stiff, so I still have more heel slip than I would have otherwise. The uppers are also made of thick leather, and it's definitely stiffer than a pair of Frye's or similar boots.

Fit wise, I would say they are true to size - I wear a 13 D. I am tempted to try a C width when I get around to ordering another pair, but only to get a clittle closer fit.

All in all, I am still loving them - they were more than worth it, and I'm glad I took the plunge. The only problem is that I'm being too nice to them. :)

kyboots

Practically Family
I have always found Wesco to be true to size. I too wear a 13D and that is the exact size I am planning to order again.Their width is generous! I am confused as to your problem. Are you concerned about the heel slipping? It should when the boots are new then tighten up as you break in the boot.Maybe I don't understand the problem you are having. ---John

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
I would like to present my newest acquisition, WESCO's boss (engineer) boot. These are my second pair of custom WESCO's following a pair of packers. The initial price of $100 for the custom fit is a bit steep, I knew though that I would be spreading that cost over at least two pairs of boots and I might be in it for a third. A small price to pay for a guy with very tall arches, and a 10A-AA foot measurement. The specs; boss boots, western last (more on that later), standard 11" tall. Black steer leather, nickel buckles, standard length straps, brown stitching uppers, white stitching lowers. That is the standard stitching colors, if you want custom colors WESCO will do that, but from what I understand its a pain in the butt to change thread colors. I figured if I wanted black I could always dye them myself. Turns out I actually like the contrasting stitching. #705 Vibram half soles, with brown painted mid soles. This is really my only deviation from a stock pair.
These boots started out their lives as a stock boss toe boot. When I first contacted Pete in the custom fit department we discussed what I wanted and a few non standard options. When I finally made my decision I decided not to venture off the beaten path and opted for a standard boss toe to obtain the heel height I wanted. When the 14 weeks had finally arrived my boss toed boots were a bit sloppier than I had hoped. Pete and I discussed the difficulties of fitting my very narrow foot in a pull on boot. When all of the tricks or tips to get the boots to fit better were finally exhausted WESCO offered to rebuild the boots as a western toed boot (narrower overall profile). This time only a two week wait was necessary, and when they returned to me I now have a wonderfully fitting pull on boot. I must say that these are the most comfortable fitting pieces of footwear that I have ever owned. Well worth the money and the wait. The combination leather mid soles and high arch support are just heaven for me to stand in. I can stand all day on concrete and only be mildly tiered by the end of the day, unlike all of my old cheap boot barn junkers that would leave me practically in tears and would be worn out in 10 months. My packers have gone through a 6 month agricultural season of me wearing them everyday and look new when I clean them up. I wouldn't be surprised to get 4-5 years of work from them before a resole or rebuild is needed. These engineer boots being used only for ridding or casual use should be heirloom quality.
The break in, for whatever reason has been much smoother than my packers. When I took these pictures I believe I have about 20 days in them. - Jared

IMG_2034.jpg

IMG_2036.jpg

IMG_2039.jpg

IMG_2042.jpg

IMG_2044.jpg

IMG_2046.jpg

IMG_2048.jpg

I would like to thank fellow FL member marineabilly and his blog http://vintageengineerboots.blogspot.com/ The wealth of information that can be found there was essential to helping me get a perfect pair of engineer boots.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hey Jared;

Great looking boots. They will last you a long time.

And you are correct...........the fit and comfort of a high end custom build boot compared to an off the shelf "everybody wears these" boot has to be experienced to be believed.

Great call! Wear the heck out of 'em.

Best regards,
coffee

director42

New in Town
Tight-fitting engineer boots?

This is a truly amazing thread, the wealth of information is simply astonishing. Compliments to all contributors. I would like to ask FL members for help in the following matter: I' ve been wearing engineer boots at leisure time for some thirteen years now and I currently own a pair of Frye Brando engineers and a trusty old pair of spanish-made PrimeBoots steel-toe engineers, both in black. The Prime ones have been comfortable (=tight fitting) from day one, due to the low instep, very narrow shaft and thick leather. However, I would like to replace them, since they look rather bulbous and primitive with their huge steel toe. On the other hand, the Brandos, although premium quality and the epitome of a clean-cut engineer boot, are not that pleasant to wear due to the pronounced heel slip; although the sizing is right (my foot would not enter the next smaller size), I feel as if the boot is about to slip from my foot. I guess that the very wide shaft and very soft leather are to blame. Anyway, I have concluded that next time I need a pair of engineers with low instep (for a tight fit), narrow shaft and thick leather. I am considering 1) Frye engineer 12r, 2) Red Wing 2268, 3) Red Wing Heritage 2290/2291. Chippewas seem to have the desired attributes, but there are no retailers or e-shops in Europe and the import duties would make it prohibitive to order fron the USA. The new Heritage line (2290/91) by Red Wing seems to be ideal, too, although the low heels are an acquired taste. Has anyone tried them on? Do you think that the other two boots are tight-fitting enough? I just love the look of engineers, but I do not ride, so I wish a comfortable (=tight fitting) boot for walking (OK, engineer are not first choice as walking shoes, but anyway ....). Of course, I guess that custom-made engineers can be made to a perfect fit (much like the gorgeous Wescos of oldcrow 82, compliments!), but I don't want to spend that much on shoes worn only at leisuretime. Thank you in advance.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I would like to present my newest acquisition, WESCO's boss (engineer) boot. These are my second pair of custom WESCO's following a pair of packers. The initial price of $100 for the custom fit is a bit steep, I knew though that I would be spreading that cost over at least two pairs of boots and I might be in it for a third. A small price to pay for a guy with very tall arches, and a 10A-AA foot measurement. The specs; boss boots, western last (more on that later), standard 11" tall. Black steer leather, nickel buckles, standard length straps, brown stitching uppers, white stitching lowers. That is the standard stitching colors, if you want custom colors WESCO will do that, but from what I understand its a pain in the butt to change thread colors. I figured if I wanted black I could always dye them myself. Turns out I actually like the contrasting stitching. #705 Vibram half soles, with brown painted mid soles. This is really my only deviation from a stock pair.
These boots started out their lives as a stock boss toe boot. When I first contacted Pete in the custom fit department we discussed what I wanted and a few non standard options. When I finally made my decision I decided not to venture off the beaten path and opted for a standard boss toe to obtain the heel height I wanted. When the 14 weeks had finally arrived my boss toed boots were a bit sloppier than I had hoped. Pete and I discussed the difficulties of fitting my very narrow foot in a pull on boot. When all of the tricks or tips to get the boots to fit better were finally exhausted WESCO offered to rebuild the boots as a western toed boot (narrower overall profile). This time only a two week wait was necessary, and when they returned to me I now have a wonderfully fitting pull on boot. I must say that these are the most comfortable fitting pieces of footwear that I have ever owned. Well worth the money and the wait. The combination leather mid soles and high arch support are just heaven for me to stand in. I can stand all day on concrete and only be mildly tiered by the end of the day, unlike all of my old cheap boot barn junkers that would leave me practically in tears and would be worn out in 10 months. My packers have gone through a 6 month agricultural season of me wearing them everyday and look new when I clean them up. I wouldn't be surprised to get 4-5 years of work from them before a resole or rebuild is needed. These engineer boots being used only for ridding or casual use should be heirloom quality.
The break in, for whatever reason has been much smoother than my packers. When I took these pictures I believe I have about 20 days in them. - Jared

IMG_2034.jpg

IMG_2036.jpg

IMG_2039.jpg

IMG_2042.jpg

IMG_2044.jpg

IMG_2046.jpg

IMG_2048.jpg

I would like to thank fellow FL member marineabilly and his blog http://vintageengineerboots.blogspot.com/ The wealth of information that can be found there was essential to helping me get a perfect pair of engineer boots.

Nice!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner