Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

Edward

Bartender
Has anyone noticed that Ugg - of all people! - have brought out a line of men's footwear that includes what looks to be some nice Engineer-style boots which are sheepskin lined? I'm gong to give them a looksee out of curiosity. Could be very nice for the Winter....

Has anyone noticed that Ugg - of all people! - have brought out a line of men's footwear that includes what looks to be some nice Engineer-style boots which are sheepskin lined? I'm gong to give them a looksee out of curiosity. Could be very nice for the Winter....

Hey, my new favorite (like 'em so much I bought two pairs) of casual/walking boots are Rockports. It's a tag these days - many of 'em, sans the handmade US/UK boots are all factories in China. So, find what you like and enjoy 'em!

Edward

Bartender
Hey, my new favorite (like 'em so much I bought two pairs) of casual/walking boots are Rockports. It's a tag these days - many of 'em, sans the handmade US/UK boots are all factories in China. So, find what you like and enjoy 'em!

I just find it funny that Ugg would be ones to produce something I'd wear, given that the classic Ugg boot is something I find so hideous. lol I'm certainly no opponent of Chinese manufacture... Chinese folks gotta eat, too. It's the Global Village... ;)

I just find it funny that Ugg would be ones to produce something I'd wear, given that the classic Ugg boot is something I find so hideous. lol I'm certainly no opponent of Chinese manufacture... Chinese folks gotta eat, too. It's the Global Village... ;)

Well, I'm "coming out" here...
My daughters got me a pair of what we all envision when "UGG" is mentioned. At first I thought - no way in **** I'm wearing those! But one winter day (what passes for in Pasadena - high 30ºf temps) I put them on and enjoyed them. Now understand - I'm not leaving the house with them on, but around here, I can do it.
As for Chinese production, I'm fine with China making boots for the 1 billion+ Chinese, I'd just prefer Americans making boots for Americans when possible. We've lost our identity as a manufacturer to our detriment.

Edward

Bartender
Well, I'm "coming out" here...
My daughters got me a pair of what we all envision when "UGG" is mentioned. At first I thought - no way in **** I'm wearing those! But one winter day (what passes for in Pasadena - high 30ºf temps) I put them on and enjoyed them. Now understand - I'm not leaving the house with them on, but around here, I can do it.

They make sense to me as slippers, for sure. It just makes me laugh when I see them outside..... See, the first time I ever saw them, and the only ones I saw for years, was when my grandmother, God rest her soul, got them back in the 80s. A pair of the little ankle-booty style, like Ronnie Wood is in the habit of wearing out on the town (see, kids? Booze *is* bad!). They helped enormously with keeping her feet warm in the Winter when her arthritis got bad. Now when I see them, all I can think is "old lady arthritis booties". lol

As for Chinese production, I'm fine with China making boots for the 1 billion+ Chinese, I'd just prefer Americans making boots for Americans when possible. We've lost our identity as a manufacturer to our detriment.

Aye, well... being Irish, American production or Chinese production is all the same to me - all imports. ;)

kyboots

Practically Family
I would like to present my newest acquisition, WESCO's boss (engineer) boot. These are my second pair of custom WESCO's following a pair of packers. The initial price of $100 for the custom fit is a bit steep, I knew though that I would be spreading that cost over at least two pairs of boots and I might be in it for a third. A small price to pay for a guy with very tall arches, and a 10A-AA foot measurement. The specs; boss boots, western last (more on that later), standard 11" tall. Black steer leather, nickel buckles, standard length straps, brown stitching uppers, white stitching lowers. That is the standard stitching colors, if you want custom colors WESCO will do that, but from what I understand its a pain in the butt to change thread colors. I figured if I wanted black I could always dye them myself. Turns out I actually like the contrasting stitching. #705 Vibram half soles, with brown painted mid soles. This is really my only deviation from a stock pair.
These boots started out their lives as a stock boss toe boot. When I first contacted Pete in the custom fit department we discussed what I wanted and a few non standard options. When I finally made my decision I decided not to venture off the beaten path and opted for a standard boss toe to obtain the heel height I wanted. When the 14 weeks had finally arrived my boss toed boots were a bit sloppier than I had hoped. Pete and I discussed the difficulties of fitting my very narrow foot in a pull on boot. When all of the tricks or tips to get the boots to fit better were finally exhausted WESCO offered to rebuild the boots as a western toed boot (narrower overall profile). This time only a two week wait was necessary, and when they returned to me I now have a wonderfully fitting pull on boot. I must say that these are the most comfortable fitting pieces of footwear that I have ever owned. Well worth the money and the wait. The combination leather mid soles and high arch support are just heaven for me to stand in. I can stand all day on concrete and only be mildly tiered by the end of the day, unlike all of my old cheap boot barn junkers that would leave me practically in tears and would be worn out in 10 months. My packers have gone through a 6 month agricultural season of me wearing them everyday and look new when I clean them up. I wouldn't be surprised to get 4-5 years of work from them before a resole or rebuild is needed. These engineer boots being used only for ridding or casual use should be heirloom quality.
The break in, for whatever reason has been much smoother than my packers. When I took these pictures I believe I have about 20 days in them. - Jared

IMG_2034.jpg

IMG_2036.jpg

IMG_2039.jpg

IMG_2042.jpg

IMG_2044.jpg

IMG_2046.jpg

IMG_2048.jpg

I would like to thank fellow FL member marineabilly and his blog http://vintageengineerboots.blogspot.com/ The wealth of information that can be found there was essential to helping me get a perfect pair of engineer boots.
I like this half sole, have the stock boots myself and love them. I wear these to work with jeans. John

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hi John;

Great boots to be sure that you and oldcrow82 wear. I'm a boot guy myself and was wondering..........who would you get to resole and heel your Wescos. Not talking about a rebuild, but just basic new soles and heels.

Thanks!

Regards,
coffee

Seawolf

Familiar Face
Coffee,
Wesco will do resole for you. It's far cheaper than a rebuild! I can't remember exact prices, but I looked into it for my Boss boots someday. I have 430's on both my Boss and Jobmasters, but I was thinking about getting a 100 put on there someday, and Wesco is more than happy to do it.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Coffee,
Wesco will do resole for you. It's far cheaper than a rebuild! I can't remember exact prices, but I looked into it for my Boss boots someday. I have 430's on both my Boss and Jobmasters, but I was thinking about getting a 100 put on there someday, and Wesco is more than happy to do it.

Thank you for the response, Seawolf. The reason this has always been a thorn in my side is I wear a lot of Western boots and a couple of pair of Wesco Jobmasters. When I take them in to a local cobbler for a resole/heel job, it seems all the guy wants to do is sell me a one piece generic sole/heel. When I inquire about a stacked leather heel along with a Vibram 430 sole, I always get this look like I'm from Mars. "Well you're looking at a 4 -6 week wait and since you're so specific about what you want, your chosen heel/sole combo is very expensive."

In the end I'll usually send them off to some boot specialty shop and end up paying through the nose.

Just curious as to how you guys handle the resole/heel jobs on high end boots. I had White's do a rebuild on a pair of Smokejumpers back in the day for about $200 and was more than satisfied. But I probably can get about 2-3 reshods before a rebuild.

Again, thanks for the reply Seawolf.

Best regards,
coffee

My shop charges me about $125 to get my western J/X toed boots resoled. Great job and since the boots run from $450 up to $1200, worth the cost.
Never done work boots...

too much coffee

Practically Family
My shop charges me about $125 to get my western J/X toed boots resoled. Great job and since the boots run from $450 up to $1200, worth the cost.
Never done work boots...

Good Morning ButteMT61;

Yeah, maybe I need to shop around more locally or even better.............look into doing the job myself?
Lots of different options, I just get tired of merchants wanting the customer to "settle" on something they can do quickly and overcharge in the end.

It's like your buddy gets a new car and says, "This color wasn't my first choice, but that's what he had on the lot."

Thanks,
coffee

Edward

Bartender
Good Morning ButteMT61;

Yeah, maybe I need to shop around more locally or even better.............look into doing the job myself?
Lots of different options, I just get tired of merchants wanting the customer to "settle" on something they can do quickly and overcharge in the end.

It's like your buddy gets a new car and says, "This color wasn't my first choice, but that's what he had on the lot."

Thanks,
coffee

Sometimes patience really is a virtue. Of course, then there are the times when I'll use the available car being the "wrong colour" to leverage a better deal... ;) But that's not always applicable.

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
Hi coffee,
I went to my local cobbler to see if I could convert the soles of my iron rangers over to leather and was quoted at $100. I was told $100-$150 for a quality resole. It sounds to me like you might benefit from a little shopping around. I can tell you that wesco did a fantastic job with my boss boots. It was after all essentially a resole. I don't know what wesco would charge, but I guarantee you it would be done right!

Good Morning ButteMT61;

Thanks,
coffee

Coffee,
I suppose you (we) could learn anything if we wanted...but to me, some things I just find it's worth getting a pro for. This is one. For the money, it's worth it, and I don't do it all that often. Do shop around - good luck, I suppose I'm lucky living where I do as there are lots of choices...

too much coffee

Practically Family
Thank you ButteMT61: You're right.........have a pro do it. Like you say, it doesn't happen all that often.

oldcrow82: I appreciate your input. Great boots again my friend!

marineabilly: Many thanks for the list. I've always enjoyed reading about you knowledge of boots.

Best regards to all of you,

coffee

jimmer_5

Practically Family
I just ordered a pair of brown Frye Rogan Engineers from Street Moda -they've got them on sale for $129 + $9.99 shipping. I got a 25% off code, so they ended up being $107 out the door. I have never ordered from this site before, but I did a little looking around and I feel good about the order.

I actually bought a pair of these early this year directly from Frye for $250 and ended up returning them because I felt the price was a bit high for a pair of Fryes. I think this $130 price is a lot more attractive. I think when I need a resole (the stock half sole looks kind of crappy) I will add a second lay of leather to the midsole and have a Vibram 705 half sole and heel put on. One thing to note - the tops on these are not a full 11 inches - more like 9 inches. They're not shorties, but not full height either. I know a lot of people like the Rand (Brando) Engineers from Frye, but I think these have a bit tougher look with the more rounded toe.

Here's a link: http://www.streetmoda.com/frye-rogan-engineer-mens-leather-boots.html

More pics at the Frye website: http://www.thefryecompany.com/mens-boots/view-all/87200/rogan-engineer

There is also a 15% off coupon code that is out there (check www.retailmenot.com) that works as well.

Last edited:

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Coffee - I'm still looking for someone who does good work. I might have to send them out - Marineabilly had a pretty good list. Wesco is just an hour away, but I don't think they'd want to work on someone else's boots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner