Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

AHP91

Practically Family
I did not want to contaminate the threads with the super fancy shoes, so this is close enough. I like old stuff, getting more info on these boots from west coast motorcycle country. Seller seems good, says they’re in good condition.

E972E093-4C2F-4FF7-A5B2-8CBA4D9F4D12.jpeg

Observe

One Too Many
I’ve won an auction out of Japan for a pair of 1940s Montgomery ward engineer boots. I paid up for them, but they suited me and these are hard to find. Fingers crossed that they are comfortable.
View attachment 603238 View attachment 603239 View attachment 603240 View attachment 603241 View attachment 603242
They look cool. I wish you could get more engineer boots with block heels. I find there's been an oversaturation of woodsman heels in the vintage style footwear scene lately, and it's soured me on them a bit. Seeing tall curved heels on derby style shoes etc. Really stupid!

AHP91

Practically Family
They look cool. I wish you could get more engineer boots with block heels. I find there's been an oversaturation of woodsman heels in the vintage style footwear scene lately, and it's soured me on them a bit. Seeing tall curved heels on derby style shoes etc. Really stupid!

Thanks. Yea these heels have definitely been replaced (which probably sours some purists) and the original heel was more logger-ish (not overly so). I wanted a combination of vintage and practical, so the replaced heels didn’t bother me. I also prefer the look

Observe

One Too Many
Thanks. Yea these heels have definitely been replaced (which probably sours some purists) and the original heel was more logger-ish (not overly so). I wanted a combination of vintage and practical, so the replaced heels didn’t bother me. I also prefer the look
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a pair of used 40s boots with original soles in serviceable condition. Probably to your advantage that they've been resoled if you intend to wear them.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@Drzdave58
I'm very jealous. A pair of MOTOR engineer boots are my grail/dream engineer boots. I want them more than any other pair from other heavy hitters like Role Club, Clinch, John Lofgren, etc...
Not quite sure why, but there's something very unique about them. Maybe the way they overdye them by hand rather than using a pre-finished leather.
Hope they fit you well and wear them in good health. You're living my dream :)

Drzdave58

One of the Regulars
@Drzdave58
I'm very jealous. A pair of MOTOR engineer boots are my grail/dream engineer boots. I want them more than any other pair from other heavy hitters like Role Club, Clinch, John Lofgren, etc...
Not quite sure why, but there's something very unique about them. Maybe the way they overdye them by hand rather than using a pre-finished leather.
Hope they fit you well and wear them in good health. You're living my dream :)
Hey …I appreciate the nice comments. They are unique I think as well. They fit me nicely and my 1st impressions are all positive. For $980 Canadian dollars not bad. Of course the duty was another $260. I hope you can get a pair for yourself soon.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Nice, thank you for the unboxing video!
My first target is a pair of Nicks in their Thurman last with a wide toe box.
Once that goal is reached (and I have sold most of my boots) then maybe next year I can think of a pair of MOTOR engineers.

NCF

New in Town
I washed them of good with leather soap. After that I should probably have rubbed them down with acetone but I skipped that step just because I didn’t want the dye to penetrate too deep (just because I also wanted the teacore effect). Might have been a mistake. Then I taped up the parts I didn’t want dyed.
View attachment 531483

Then I used a sponge to apply this:
View attachment 531484
Why a sponge? Because I figured that it wouldn’t leave brushstrokes (but you’ll need a small paintbrush to get into the nooks and crannies, but be a bit careful with the use of that because you WILL get brushstrokes).

Wear gloves! Protect the floor! It comes of with acetone and a lot of rubbing, but so does the laquer/varnish on the hardwood floor, so that’s a bummer…
Also remember that this dye basically has the viscosity of water so a little goes a long way and it’s easy for it to end up everywhere.
View attachment 531485

After you’ve applied one later of dye it should look something like this:
View attachment 531486
(Although I havent (fully) dyed the strap there).
Let it dry for a while (it dries fast), shine a light on the boot and see where you need to apply more.
Apply a thin layer on those areas.
Let dry for a while.
Apply one more layer to the whole boot. Let dry over night.
Remove tape and be a bit disappointed in your self but figure that with time the dye that ended up on the wrong places will fadd a bit and end up being part of the ’patina’ (ie dirt):
View attachment 531488
By now the boots should actually look a bit dull and boring and with a bit weird, purple-ish tint to the black, but wipe them of with a damp cloth and brush them with a black shoe cream and you should have something decent looking:

View attachment 531489 View attachment 531490
So, a bit sloppy here and there, but if it annoys me I guess I’ll dye the rest as well to a uniform black.
For those of you who might be interested in how this project has been coming along, this is how the boots look now:

Attachments

• IMG_4040.jpeg
    IMG_4040.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4041.jpeg
    IMG_4041.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4042.jpeg
    IMG_4042.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4043.jpeg
    IMG_4043.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4044.jpeg
    IMG_4044.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4045.jpeg
    IMG_4045.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4051.jpeg
    IMG_4051.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4072.jpeg
    IMG_4072.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 27

Drzdave58

One of the Regulars
For those of you who might be interested in how this project has been coming along, this is how the boots look now:
You did a very nice job on those. They look great. I’ve redyed a few pairs myself. I thrifted these Loake Breamar shoes recently and redyed them.

Attachments

• IMG_3481.jpeg
    IMG_3481.jpeg
    256.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3482.jpeg
    IMG_3482.jpeg
    513.2 KB · Views: 22

Fifty150

One Too Many
These came my way, via the last Allen Edmonds sale.

Very comfortable. Perfect fit.

Not "real" engineer boots. Leather is a little thin. More like a "dress shoe". Sort of like how my motorcycle boots' leather is thicker and heavier than women's fashion boots. This boot will offer no protection, and cannot be used for motorcycle rides.

Only recommended if you like the way they look. I bought them because they came at a good price. They were available on Allen Edmonds Shoe Bank, with a coupon code for an additional 20% off.

IMG_20240421_233911350.jpg
IMG_20240420_214852107.jpg
img_20240421_235423170-jpg.608606
Screenshot 2024-04-20 22.02.38.png

Attachments

• IMG_20240421_235423170.jpg
    IMG_20240421_235423170.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 64

Edward

Bartender
These came my way, via the last Allen Edmonds sale.

Very comfortable. Perfect fit.

Not "real" engineer boots. Leather is a little thin. More like a "dress shoe". Sort of like how my motorcycle boots' leather is thicker and heavier than women's fashion boots. This boot will offer no protection, and cannot be used for motorcycle rides.

Only recommended if you like the way they look. I bought them because they came at a good price. They were available on Allen Edmonds Shoe Bank, with a coupon code for an additional 20% off.

View attachment 608607 View attachment 608605
img_20240421_235423170-jpg.608606
View attachment 608604

A slightly lighter boot isn't a bad option to have around for off the bike use. I've been keeping half an eye out for a pair of engineers with a side zip for travel, actually... Usually I do most of my flying in warmer weather and wear loafers for convenience of kicking on / off on the plane / at security. Boots that are easy on / off without faffing with buckles are appealing for colder weather, though.

I especially like how these have a shiny brass zip - makes a feature of the zip and imo looks much better than when they do the zips in black like they're trying to (badly) hide them. Be interesting to hear how you get on with these over time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner