Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

bretron

Call Me a Cab
The Becks that I had were double tanned horse. And like Injunjack references above I feared ripping the leather. Maybe I'm just an impatient wuss, but I thought it better to dump em and start fresh

mattfink

Practically Family
A reputable cobbler uses a solution to wet the leather before stretching...unless they used an old dried out hide or thread to stitch them, it should be no issue to do so.

mattfink

Practically Family
I've had the same issue with LVC and people who work in their retail locations...they seem to really have little helpful information.

...just saying what the SAs at RRL told me. Personally I don't care, I've got my John Lofgrens and all is good!

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Gorgeous boots! I will post a few pics of mine later =D

Also, I like your camera, what model is it?

Art - thanks! They are breaking in beautifully - I will need to take some new pictures. I am looking forward to seeing your pics - what did you end up getting? By the way, where did you find that picture of the black Nomads that you posted? My next pair will be pretty much exactly like those - just without the Chromexcel (I am assuming - they look like Chromexcel).

The camera s a Rebel XTi with a 50mm Sigma Prime lens. My wife is the photographer - I just take functional photos and try to represent things as well as I can. The lighting was terrible - had to take them indoors thanks to the rainy Oregon winter. :)

Last edited:

53Effie

A-List Customer
Well, I've got my RRL's out being stretched and for some repairs. I hope my results will be as good as Matt's. The cobbler has been around here for years and has done good work for me before; so I'm pretty confident the results will be fine. I really like those boots. Just need to get them a little more wearable.

illumin8em

A-List Customer
Well, I've got my RRL's out being stretched and for some repairs. I hope my results will be as good as Matt's. The cobbler has been around here for years and has done good work for me before; so I'm pretty confident the results will be fine. I really like those boots. Just need to get them a little more wearable.

Have you ever posted photos of yours? I'd love to see them and find out how the stretching and repair goes

53Effie

A-List Customer
I've not posted photos of mine. I should have them back the middle of next week. If all goes well, I will try to get some photos up. I think they are breaking in nicely thus far, even with the little wear they've had. I'm hoping for the best at this point.

Ishmael

Practically Family
Arikawa-san, proprietor of Hozho, posted these absolutely amazing Lofgrens on his blog. Not sure whose boots they are, but this is Arikawa-san's master craftsmanship.

Custom Order: “Natural Black Stallion Turquoise” x John Lofgren - Mushmans Badalassi Engineer.

DSC_70461_zps4f80222f.gif

DSC_70581_zpsba5006d6.gif

DSC_70331_zps61455a4e.gif

http://hozho.jp/blog/2013/03/10/circle-2/

Last edited:

indigoeagle

One of the Regulars
The current models are being made by somebody other than Julian.....maybe they have old stock? The ones I have that had the shaft issue were the Julian made ones.

I also have to say that the current black Murdocks (by Rio) are very difficult to put on.
The Julian ones in black are alright since the leather is softer and a bit thinner. The brown ones are very difficult to put on as the leather is very thick.

mattfink

Practically Family
Interesting...I wonder if they just took a pair of Julians boots to Rio and had them copy them? Wouldn't surprise me as they tend to wantonly copy anything and everything.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
My Wesco order is placed and custom buckles shipped to Chris. Here's the build:

Motor Patrol toe last
Unreinforced ("soft") toe box
10" height
2" extra instep strap length
Highliner heels
Antique brass roller buckles courtesy of John at VEB
Double midsoles, stained brown
705 half soles
Black steer
Brown upper stitching
White welt stitching

Now I just gotta wait for flip flop weather to finally get em!!

53Effie

A-List Customer
Sounds really cool Bretron. I'm anxious to see the finished product. Flip flop weather is not far off...almost made 60 degrees here today.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Correction on my wesco build; guess I ordered the standard Boss heel not the Highliner heel. Decision time and I welcome your input: do I stick with the order as placed or go with another heel stack?

For reference the Narrows are built on a standard Boss heel, while the Western Toes and harness Boss are made an extra stack higher....

I know opinions are like you know what, but i am interested to hear whatchall think. Especially if you have experience with both heel heights.

I will say I'm leaning towards the extra lift... But I do generally love the look of the Narrows.

For walking around swap meets & bike shows, I prefer a lower heel. My legs don't tire out as easily.
I got used to roper heels from horse shows where 98% of the time I'm on the ground vs the 2% I'm in the saddle.

Just reread the part about the double mid-sole = going with another heel stack may not be an issue...

bretron

Call Me a Cab
the narrows have a standard mp toe heel? Looks like a highliner to me

Per Chris at Wesco, the Narrows are built with a Boss heel which is a lift higher than the standard MP heel. The Narrow is basically the MP last with a Boss heel, and both the Morrison and Highliner heels are a lift higher than that.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Personally, I think the Boss heel is high enough as it is. My Boss boots have double mids, 705 half soles, and the matching composition heels. The Wesco Boss heel is higher than my White's nomads with identical specs - Wesco uses the thicker Vibram composition heel while White's uses thinner Quabaug heels with their half soles.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Thx Jimmer. I've decided to stick with the standard boss heels. In fact, your review of your nomads as compared to your boss' sorta sealed the deal for me. Think that heel height is perfect for my interests

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points