Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

mistercitizen

New in Town
That leather above has gotta be CXL

I would have to agree. I mostly like the sole on those boots.

I don,t own anny nicks boots, so i don,t know
I have a pair brown cxl semi dress whites. I,m sure they make a great pair of engineers

I have a pair of Wolverine 1000 Mile Addisons in brown CXL. I think I've prefer the full grain leather for my first pair of engineer boots, although I do agree that the CXL would be great for a pair of engineer boots.

Probably, what I envision as the ideal leather for my first pair would be something brown that will take a shine if I want and will age to something rather dark in color with a great patina.

Ben

kyboots

Practically Family
Ben when I ordered a pair of 14 inch brown Wescos 10 years ago I got " dark brown" nothing exciting but now the selections are wide open. You can have a great pair. I am fond of cordovan and I personally would have a brass/gold color buckle. If you buy a quality boot they will wear perfectly. I still like a taller boot 12-13 inch rather than the 10 inch but to each his own. The soles are important but remember no one really sees the soles when you are wearing them, they see the boot. Buy something comfortable. Dont lose sleep; order and enjoy. BTW some of the two toned boot combinations are outstanding.

mistercitizen

New in Town
Ben when I ordered a pair of 14 inch brown Wescos 10 years ago I got " dark brown" nothing exciting but now the selections are wide open. You can have a great pair. I am fond of cordovan and I personally would have a brass/gold color buckle. If you buy a quality boot they will wear perfectly. I still like a taller boot 12-13 inch rather than the 10 inch but to each his own. The soles are important but remember no one really sees the soles when you are wearing them, they see the boot. Buy something comfortable. Dont lose sleep; order and enjoy. BTW some of the two toned boot combinations are outstanding.

Thanks for the info. It's funny, I have no preference one way or another on the height. Nomads come with a 12" height from what I read..... although I don't know if I would be opposed to something lower, like a 10". Anything lower than a 10" in an engineer boot (like some of the lower height Chippewas I've seen) just don't seem like a "boot" to me. More like a chukka or an ankle boot. Seems like engineer boots should have some height to them since they were intended to protect your legs in the first place.

I can see why guys like gold/brass hardware with brown colors, but I just like silver/nickel better in general. That's how most of my watch straps and belt buckles seem to be..... I guess it's just my preference.

Most guys seem to get fit pretty well by the method of measuring on White's website. Seems like they get all the pertinent information. I'll go that route, probably through Baker Boots.

Ben

mistercitizen

New in Town
The Wild One was on TCM last night. As if my desire for a pair of engy boots wasn't large enough ;)

I got myself all measured up last night according to the White's website, and traced my feet. Do most of you guys scan your measurements and tracings to a .pdf and send it in an email?

Ben

bretron

Call Me a Cab
You need to be careful doing that because the scan can distort the actual size. I'd recommend sending in the actual tracings, maybe make a copy for yourself too

mistercitizen

New in Town
My thoughts are ever changing, but I'm really inspired by the sole configuration of the Julian made RRL Engineer Boot (from jimmer_5):

RRLMurdockEngineerBrown03.jpg

and the Wesco Brown Domain leather uppers of this boot (I know I stole this pic from someone else on the thread..... great boot):

Wesco Brown Domain.jpg

Either Wesco MP toe or standard Boss toe...... not sure. Probably nickel hardware. Close trim at the welts and maybe an inch longer than standard straps. I know that the Domain Brown Leather is dark, but do you guys think it will darken even more with age. I think I'm looking for that really dark brown, almost black leather...... or black leather that turned dark brown over years look. What's the latest thinking on the black CXL leather? I tried to find some information in various forums about the liklihood of it turning into a brown over time, but I couldn't find anything definite.

Ben

mistercitizen

New in Town
Yes, yes you do! ;)

If I go with Wesco's, what heel would you say would be the best to try and emulate the heel of the Julian made RRL Engineer boots? I've had conversations with Brandon from Baker's and he is thinking just the standard heel, since the Wesco Boss standard heel does not have a lot of curve to it. He had a hard time seeing in the photos I posted whether or not the heel is blocked or curved. I'd say it's maybe not technically blocked, but very close. I may be wrong.

RRLMurdockEngineerBrown03.jpg

Ben

Last edited:

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd suggest you go back to #1419 of page 142 of this thread to take a look at Kato's post. I think that look closer to your RRL photo. He had his Boss heels redone to achieve that.

Last edited:

kyboots

Practically Family
I won't argue with anyone choosing their $800 custom Wesco boots and heels, but I cannot see the difference especially with the cost involved to obtain a less expensive boot by ordering a standard heel. Look at the Big Black Boots pages on " Wesco heel guide" and I dont really see any difference here with the 705 and/or another sole. I personally would never be able to tell the difference especially when looking down on someone's foot wearing these. Keep the order down to $500-$600 and be 200+ bucks ahead on the next pair. BTW once you walk across a muddy field or through a barn full of horse s---, those soles all look the same. Can we say curmudgeon in China?lol Are we the OCD's of boots?

Last edited:

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Are we the OCD's of boots?

Hell effing yeah we are! And I totally and completely agree with you on trying to keep the cost of a pair of wescos below $650. Put the money towards a second pair. Eg some custom nomads for another $450 or some used 2268s for around $250 ;)

Last edited:

mistercitizen

New in Town
I'd suggest you go back to #1419 of page 142 of this thread to take a look at Kato's post. I think that look closer to your RRL photo. He had his Boss heels redone to achieve that.

Thanks for the reference. I remember seeing the photos of those boots:

_MG_3057.JPG

_MG_3058.JPG

_MG_3072.JPG

Those are very close to what I'm going for with a pair of Wescos.

Ben

mistercitizen

New in Town
I won't argue with anyone choosing their $800 custom Wesco boots and heels, but I cannot see the difference especially with the cost involved to obtain a less expensive boot by ordering a standard heel. Look at the Big Black Boots pages on " Wesco heel guide" and I dont really see any difference here with the 705 and/or another sole. I personally would never be able to tell the difference especially when looking down on someone's foot wearing these. Keep the order down to $500-$600 and be 200+ bucks ahead on the next pair. BTW once you walk across a muddy field or through a barn full of horse s---, those soles all look the same. Can we say curmudgeon in China?lol Are we the OCD's of boots?

Hell effing yeah we are! And I totally and completely agree with you on trying to keep the cost of a pair of wescos below $650. Put the money towards a second pair. Eg some custom nomads for another $450 or some used 2268s for around $250 ;)

I get what you guys are saying, and I agree. Sole options especially can be fixed the next time around with a re-sole, if you're not happy with say the type or height of the heel. I'm think it makes sense to go with a standard heel and standard heel height. I don't want a double midsole either, so that will keep the cost down. I think I am sold on the brown domain leather though, so that will be an upcharge. The toe, I'm not sure. I am sort of on the fence between an MP toe and the standard Boss toe. The MP toe is an upcharge, so that may make my decision for me.

I want to be reasonable, but I also don't want to end up with something I don't like. Not really thinking about the second pair yet :) .

Ben

kyboots

Practically Family
Ben the MP toe is a nice choice. Most people like it and I would agree a decent place to upgrade the boots. For some this determines the character of the boot. I have the Boss toe on my Wescos and like the room. You younger guys can afford to be more stylish. I really do like the goal of under $650 set by Bretron if you can but please don't think we are dictating just making what we feel are practical suggestions for first or second pair as you become the expert. Do not mean to offend in any way! You don't have to have the biggest house on the block just to acheive the look.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot