Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

mistercitizen

New in Town
I love the brown, hand dyed black leather Bryan. Thank you for posting little details along the way. Really helps to see the quality inside and out of these boots.

Ben

kyboots

Practically Family
Thought I would post this here for anyone who is interested. Wolverine Stockton Boots on for $200 CDN from a store in Ottawa. Not many sizes left. I picked up a pair of 9's in black and I am quite satisfied with the quality given the price. At that price I might almost order a pair in brown also.

http://wolfandzed.com/collections/wolverine/men

They are not Wescos but I traded for a pair of these from Desert Rider in my size and that is a good price. Nice boots for the money!

BrianTheBootmaker

Familiar Face
^ Thank you

Welting: a leather rim sewn around the edge of a shoe upper to which the sole is attached.

Inspecting the shafts alignment before lasting the counter. You use one knee for the height of heel. This quick inspection was used by my teacher when he had to last 75 pairs a day. My hats off to his hard work.

This is the black CXL horshide.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
^ Thank you

Welting: a leather rim sewn around the edge of a shoe upper to which the sole is attached.

Inspecting the shafts alignment before lasting the counter. You use one knee for the height of heel. This quick inspection was used by my teacher when he had to last 75 pairs a day. My hats off to his hard work.

This is the black CXL horshide.

Ok, those look incredible! I am definitely following this build now.

Can I ask how thick the Chromexcel Horsehide is? I thought you couldn't get it thicker an 5-6 oz, but the leather in your pics looks thicker. Also, will you be able to build these with thicker/stiffer leather?

BrianTheBootmaker

Familiar Face
^ yes 5/6 oz is weight of the CXL horshide. It's a comfortable weight for a pair of engineer boots. There are vintage engineer boots that weight 4/5 oz. A pair of 40's Chippewa weight about 4/5 oz. I actually made a list of thickness, shaft measurements, height, etc of every pair of engineer boots I resoled. I will also be using 6/7 oz Steerhide. The shaft will be 6/7 but the counter and vamp will be 4/5 oz. The vamp is lined so it will turn out to be 6/7.

"Wear'Em with Pride." -Role Club

BrianTheBootmaker

Familiar Face
When I worked on vintage Chippewa & Sears engineer boots I always thought it was COOL how they put a small double capped rivet to keep the buckle in place. This little guy will age well with the brass roller buckle.

mistercitizen

New in Town
Got my order in for a pair of Wesco Boss boots with Baker Boots. The specs are:

1×Custom Wesco Boss
•Leather Configuration: Single Tone
•Toe Vamp Leather: Brown Domain
•Counter Leather: Brown Domain
•Upper (Shaft) Leather: Brown Domain
•Height: 11"
•Instep Straps: Brown Domain
•Instep Strap Length: 1" Longer
•Instep Buckle Options: Nickel Roller Buckle
•Top Strap Amount: One
•Top Straps: Brown Domain
•Top Strap Length: Standard
•Top Buckles: Nickel Roller Buckle
•Shaft Diameter: Standard
•Thread Color (upper): Brown
•Leather Liner: No Thanks
•Credit Card Pocket: No Pocket
•Knife Pocket: No Knife Pocket
•Gear Shift Patch: No Gear Shift Patch
•Heel Lifts: 1/4" Lower
•Midsole: Single
•Edge: Brown
•Sole: Vibram 705 (brown only)
•Outsole Stitching color: White
•Toe Pattern: Motorcycle Patrol Toe
•Steel Toe: No Thanks
•Toe Cap: No Thanks
•Rush Fee: No thanks
•Size - Length: 11.5
•Size - Width: D (medium)
Customer wants brown domain leather for this boot
Single row welt stitch with close trim

I am awaiting the arrival of a pair of stock Wesco Boss boots in size 11 E to try on and verify the size. Based on my measurements, Josh at Baker's Boots thinks that I would be either an 11 D or 11.5 D, but he had no stock Boss boots in those sizes to send me to try on..... so I'm going to try the 11 E and discuss the fit with him later.

The brown domain leather and the single row welt with close trim I had to request special after I placed my order since the website didn't really give those as options when I made my selections.

I went with a 1/4" lower heel. Not sure if I'll like that or not, but Josh said that it's not a real big deal to get fixed later. I also went with nickel roller buckles, mostly since the brass roller buckles were not an option. I'm sure they would probably do brass roller buckles for me if I sourced them from somewhere else and provided them, but I actually think I might like the nickel better. I'm more of a silver guy than gold when it comes to belt buckles, watch bands, and jewelery.

Ben

kyboots

Practically Family
Ben these will be nice boots. I think the 1/4 inch lower heel is also a good idea. I would go for that too. I have always found Wesco's to be true to size to good shoes,( at least for me ) don't get too short of boot especially with the MP toe and you trying on a wider boot than ordered. An 11E Boss stock boot is going to be much wider in the toe than a D MP toe. Even comparing an 11 to 11.5. You others agree or not?

Last edited:

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Sounds great Ben. I'm hoping mine arrive in the week or so. Domain,2" longer instep,double mid sole, I supplied some brass roller buckles, and I'm keen to finally get them. Had some challenges, as I'm a13EEE regarding sole options, and a few things got changed from my original order due to not being able to get a 430 to fit that width, and the last I requested was not available in that size. So, I will wait and see what they come up with. I'm sure they will be great, I bloody hope so, as they aren't really an entry level investment!

DickBrown

New in Town
Red Wing Heritage Engineer Boots with aftermarket insoles inserted. It took 2-weeks of too-tight to break them in BUT they have since been the finest, most comfortable, durable and stable work boots I have ever worn. The lower heel makes for a more stable platform off of a paved surface and with back and knee issues that is much appreciated. Well worth the heavy price tag, FYI - Handmade in the USA, gotta love it. I also own a pair of Chippewa Bison Harness Boot, square toe / cowboy heel; since I bought the 1st Red Wings they simply gather dust... I am working into a fleet of three pairs, the Ruff-Out Chestnut that I have been beating around lately are soon to have a bunk mate, I need a shiny pair in both Brown and Black for those occasions where the blue jeans and Carharts get put away. They match up well with my go-to Stetson Open Road shaped with a slightly down turned front and a sweeping upturn to the back, my Cattleman's Crease Fedora.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot