Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

Interbak

One of the Regulars
Just picked up a pair of Canada West 5085's yesterday. They may not be in the same league as Wesco's and handmade customs, but at less than half the price, and still made in Canada, you won't convince me to buy anything else. The soles are rubber and rebuildable, not stacked leather, which is a plus as far as I'm concerned, since these will be used for motorcycling and will also see winter in Canada use. I've been wearing CW boots for over 30 years and they wear like iron. The "Bikers" logo is a bit tacky, but it doesn't show when being worn, so I can live with it.
Here's a link if anyone is interested.
http://www.canadawestboots.com/2014bootpages/boots_5085.html

B

mistercitizen

New in Town
I received my pair of stock Wesco Boss Boots in size 11 E a couple days ago. I have worn them a couple times for a period of about an hour on the carpet inside my home. They came with thin insoles, which I left in place while I wore them. I have never worn a pair of engineer boots mind you, and I have never worn a pair of pull on boots with a relatively high shaft. My history is with work boots, 8 inch or less.

My impressions are as follows:

1. The size 11 E seems to fit fairly well, especially in the instep and toe box area. The shape of the standard Boss toe is very similar to the shape of the toe box on my pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers in size 10.5 EE. The Wesco boots fit very snug, but are comfortable in the toe box and instep area.... just as my Iron Rangers fit.

2. Heel slip is significant..... if not awful. Maybe this is characteristic of engineer boots.

3. The shaft is very roomy. This may be part of the reason for so much of the heel slip.

Overall. I ordered an MP toe. I think that I would definitely need to go with a longer length compared to the 11 E. I just don't know whether I should be an 11.5 D or E. Maybe if I go with a D, the heel slip will not be so bad?

The standard Boss toe is very nice looking. Not as bulky looking as I thought it might be. I'm tempted to change my toe to a Boss toe, but then maybe that would just be better for the next pair of boots.

Ben

kyboots

Practically Family
Guys the Westco Boot Co. has a killer boot in "factory seconds" if you are a 12-12.5 "B". I know its a B width. Two toned Boss boot with 14 inch shaft and western toe for $325. You skinny foot guys have a deal here! If this was a 13D would buy in a heart beat. This has no flaws just ?send back.

Last edited:

bretron

Call Me a Cab
eBay score of the year, for someone in a sz 12: item no 121437004522

Julian made RRL Murdocks, look practically new , for $400 BIN

it might have been said before, but how do they run size wise? I'm a 9 in Wolverine 1000mi. and a 10 in Iron Rangers. Where would that put me in a RRL?
Thanks.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Not totally sure but I recall them being pretty TTS. The issue with them has always been said to be their difficulty getting on and off. Very tapered quarters

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Has anyone really compared Lofgrens and Road Champs before? This thread (and other influences) have me really wanting some engineers and those two are at the top of my list.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
As long as you are a size 12 or less and have a $1000 bucks go for it.

I'm a size 9.5 in most US shoes and have the dough. I was trying to find out the main differences/benefits between the two. I know the obvious differences such as leather and such, but I am curious about if one ages better or something like that.

kyboots

Practically Family
Look at the style of each. One is classic 1930-1940 and one more 1950-60. Pick a style you like. They will wear fine whichever you choose. There are several with these boots who are on this forum and I am sure they will give opinions. I like Mr Freedom and Westco. I prefer those made in USA. These are well made and I like their style. Since I am size 13 I do not own Mr. Freedom YET!

Last edited:

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Look at the style of each. One is classic 1930-1940 and one more 1950-60. Pick a style you like. They will wear fine whichever you choose. There are several with these boots who are on this forum and I am sure they will give opinions. I like Mr Freedom and Westco. I prefer those made in USA. These are well made and I like their style. Since I am size 13 I do not own Mr. Freedom YET!

Thanks for the info. Yes, I know that for Mr. F, larger sizes are a problem. It seems there is demand for larger sizes, however...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot