Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

Dickie Teenie

A-List Customer
Ask them how they can justify that $120+ increase. "is your standard leather that inferior or the CXL that much better?" Surely Horween doesn't charge That much. That steep of an option(s) is the reason i wouldn't buy from them or WESCO, I'm going with Whites.

Last edited:

pelican

New in Town
What makes u so sure that's not what horween charges? They wanted to charge me 270 just for one piece of cordovan. Enough to make a pair of engineer boots was a little over $800.

$120 for cxl seems reasonable

Last edited:

kyboots

Practically Family
Anyone have experience with Vibergo stock 83s? I'm considering a modified verson of the stock model (r/t the full blown custom jobs), which primarily means I live with the black oil tanned leather.Is it worth the $120+ for CXL?
I too think the charge is excessive, but unfortunately they have you! I have not dealt much with Viberg as I thought they catered pretty much to the Japanese market and their prices were until now much higher than through a Wesco dealer. Go Cards!

fenris

One of the Regulars
Maybe we should be ordering our boots from the Philippines! Send some pictures when ready.

These aren't mine, but these are their work...

They emailed me these pictures just tonight as I asked for them to send me pics of different harness boots they've made.

They used to make these as one of their "stock" merchandise, but now these types of boots are all made-to-order.

Their website is: www.glenmoreshoes.com

Too bad the design of the site is pretty bad.

bikerpoizun

New in Town
I have a stock pair of Wesco engineers that I bought five or six years ago that do have a well-shaped heel cup. In fact when you put them on you have to give a little extra pull to "pop" your heel that last little bit past the heel cup into the bottom of the boot. They fit perfectly and can withstand a whole day of walking around Sturgis looking at all the stuff without ever causing me to think about my feet. And they were a h*** of a lot cheaper, brand new, than these recent ones were. I don't know when the rest of you bought your Wescos, but I just assumed their bootmakers all knew how to make a boot back then. Unlike now. Even the cheapest, no arch, sandpaper-lined, Chinese pieces of crap I have the misfortune to own ALL have heel cups in them! And some of my Chinese boots actually aren't bad-fitting at all.

kyboots

Practically Family
My last pair of Wescos was two years ago and I am happy with them. I agree the fit is not as good as the ones from 10 years ago but comfortable. The ones ten years ago were custom and my last pair was off the shelf from a military supplier, saved money but still a wonderful boot. I was looking last night at ordering a pair of brown harness or another pair of engineers ( still another ) and the prices are terrible. Then I got to thinking which sometimes gets me into trouble: guys are harness boots dead and everything engineers now? Should I get more engineers??? Then they have to be two toned.

mattfink

Practically Family
I got a pair of the Lofgren engineers over the summer...amazing stuff. Still need to wear them in more.

5a82bc24f44c11e1b17a22000a1cdd10_7.jpg

bea29f24f47b11e18c261231381b5c32_7.jpg

mattfink

Practically Family
Thanks guys....was wearing them again last night. Breaking in very rapidly...they have a full leather sole on mine, so not getting much outdoor use in the winter weather.

Dickie Teenie

A-List Customer
I asked Kyle at Bakers some questions i had regarding White's Nomad engineer boots. Specifically whether White's might go with stitching the top straps instead of using rivets and also adding a greater choice of leathers as White's is known for that. He'll be meeting with White's in February so now's a good to time shoot off a mail to Kyle if you too would like to see this happen. He did say they have no plans to drop the rivets but since this is a new product line they may be adding new leather options.

fenris

One of the Regulars
Finally got my made-to-order harness boots!

Here are some pics:

These are custom-made and cost around $182 when converted from my currency... Compared to how much custom boots cost over there in the US, these are practically dirt cheap! But you wouldn't believe that they're considered the pricier option over here. I've heard of shoe makers who charge less for custom made-to-order shoes...

The construction is solid and the maker has a reputation of long-lasting products. Probably why they offer a lifetime service warranty.

Michael Jackson even bought a pair of shoes from them around 1976! Haha!
mj.19921112.JPG

fenris

One of the Regulars
No, just one pair. Just different angles and lighting even if they were taken in the same place.

These were taken a few hours after I got 'em.

I've darkened the tips of the boots a bit when I put some Lexol on 'em.

fenris

One of the Regulars
Here's another pic of the boots...

harness_boots01_zpsb011920a.jpg

Darkened the toe area using some Lexol and tried to polish it a bit. I chose a leather that wasn't smooth, nubuck, I think.

Kinda hard to get the actual color using a cellphone... Also, there's a lot of graininess in the pic because of the crappy camera my phone has.

Doublegun

Practically Family
Here's another pic of the boots...

harness_boots01_zpsb011920a.jpg

Darkened the toe area using some Lexol and tried to polish it a bit. I chose a leather that wasn't smooth, nubuck, I think.

Kinda hard to get the actual color using a cellphone... Also, there's a lot of graininess in the pic because of the crappy camera my phone has.

Love the way you aged the boots. Well done!

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Holy cow, Ishmael! Those are fantastic! Is the leather on the thick or thin side, and is it soft or stiff? Congratulations!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran