Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars

Wesco will make a custom pair out of any leather only catch is you have to provide it

I talked with Pete the custom guru there and he told me yes they could make me a pair out of something provided to wesco by me, but it would need to be 5oz leather or thicker, still have to be tested for durability by wesco first, so there's no guarantees they would use the hide, and there isn't any price break if you do provide your own hide. I kinda shelved that idea but it may be time to look into it again.
I remember calling horween about buying my own hide and a FQHH was in the $300 range. If I remember correctly Pete told me I could get two sets of boots out of a hide. Does anybody want to go halves on a hide with me for a custom pair of engineer boots in horse hide?

jimmer_5

Practically Family
I talked with Pete the custom guru there and he told me yes they could make me a pair out of something provided to wesco by me, but it would need to be 5oz leather or thicker, still have to be tested for durability by wesco first, so there's no guarantees they would use the hide, and there isn't any price break if you do provide your own hide. I kinda shelved that idea but it may be time to look into it again.
I remember calling horween about buying my own hide and a FQHH was in the $300 range. If I remember correctly Pete told me I could get two sets of boots out of a hide. Does anybody want to go halves on a hide with me for a custom pair of engineer boots in horse hide?

I might go in on that with you - we'd have to talk specifics on the leather, but I bet we could agree on something. I'd want to use at least 8-10 ounce leather, and I would love to try something that with turn brown with age - like the leather you see that is black on the outside and natural tan on the inside. PM sent.

Last edited:

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just bought this pair of Chippewa on sale in a leather only available for Japanese market. Same look as US 27889 but different leather. Not real cordovan, just the name because they also come in cordovan colour, also only for Japanese market. I will probably get the cordovan colour as well when they are on sale.

Last edited:

Kato

Familiar Face
some review of my RW PT91
Since there is scar near the toe ( as below picture ) , I decide to give the shoe a polish
_MG_2695.JPG

I sand the toe with 3M sanding sponge carefully in different fineness (from Medium, fine to untrafine) , until the tan start to come out form the surface
20130925_125024.jpg

Final wax polish :
20130925_131223.jpg

20130925_140647.jpg

20130925_154134.jpg

Last edited:

Kato

Familiar Face
I had wash and clean my Wesco Boss PT yesterday, when it is dry, (right one) the brown color become lighter.

The left one I have put the Redwing boots cream on it. It looks good!

20130927_115621.jpg

20130927_115639.jpg

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Can anyone recommend a place to get sharp pricing on wesco engineers or whites nomads? I've been looking at baker shoes and Stompers...is there any other decent places that might be competitive?
Thanks..

Enough

One of the Regulars
Baker's Outdoors runs a build a boot sale every now and then where you can save 10-15% on White's Boots. There are a few dealers on eBay also.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Duuude, those are rad! Definitely gonna need to update us with some evo shots as the natty CXL darkens

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Smittybat, those look fantastic! How does the thicknes of the Natural CXL feel compared to the black leather on your other pair (I assume the black is standard oiled black).

COngratulations on the new pair - those are going to look great as they break in. The natural CXL really darkens up and gains a ton of character with time and wear.

smittybat

New in Town
Smittybat, those look fantastic! How does the thicknes of the Natural CXL feel compared to the black leather on your other pair (I assume the black is standard oiled black).

COngratulations on the new pair - those are going to look great as they break in. The natural CXL really darkens up and gains a ton of character with time and wear.
The leather seems to be the same thickness as my other pair (standard black) but more pliable as you'd expect with cxl.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Fantastic. What sole is on the naturals? I'm trying to decide which sole is best for me. With the nomads is the buckle visible wearing jeans?
Cheers.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
I gotta say the Nomad looks like a really nice 50s ish last. Probably my next engineers!

smittybat

New in Town
Fantastic. What sole is on the naturals? I'm trying to decide which sole is best for me. With the nomads is the buckle visible wearing jeans?
Cheers.
I went with double midsole plus vibram composition half sole, IMHO a double mid is required for a half sole. The buckle being visible depends on where you wear your jeans

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner