Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

trapp

Practically Family
Anyone have experience with Makers Horsebutt engineer boots (Japan)? Not much information available, as far as I can tell. I'm trying to get a bead on how to size them.

Lost Ronin

One of the Regulars
Hey guys,
First post on here, just joined after reading helpful advice on here for a while, so thank you all already.

Couple of questions I'd love your experience and expertise on. (Not sure if this is the correct thread so I might ask in others also)...
About to order some Engineers (looking at Wesco Boss, love the big rounded bump toe on the standard boss toe last) but agonizing over a couple options.
Firstly sizing - I currently wear White's Smokejumpers in a 13EE and they fit perfectly. I've seen some of you guys suggest Wesco is half-to one size up? According to my tracings and measurements, talking to Chris at Wesco I'm between a 13.5EEE and a 14EE ? But I've read others say they are all true to size and the same size fits fine... Any advice?

Secondly, midsoles... I'm definitely going for a #430 sole and probably brown dyed edge, but don't know whether to go double or standard single midsoles. I know I've got a decent sized hoof and I'm 6'1" so the doubles wouldn't look too out of proportion and I love the chunky look. But I don't wanna look like I'm on stage with KISS in platforms and have a heap of heel slippage from super stiff soles...
Thirdly buckles - I love the traditional vintage shiny look of the nickel, but I've read that most recommend the roller style for function?

Finally, has anyone bought or tried on the new White's Cykel boot? I know my size in White's at least, but they might be too narrow/pointy (kinda Equestrian looking), and are only thin soles...

I need to get it right unfortunately via distance, (I'm in Australia).
Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any help

Hello, being a size 10.5 EEE myself, along with a high instep or arch, I would absolutely advise you to pay the extra money and go custom made to your tracings. There is just no substitute. I think it is a $100 USD up charge. Engineer boots are hard to fit, as are pull on boots in general. By paying for a custom made boot, to your measurements, you take a whole bunch of bad variables off of the table. I could not find a pair of engineers that fit me right or comfortably. I paid the extra money and had my Wesco boots made to my measurements and I wear them daily. They are like big heavy house slippers. I have walked upwards of 5 miles a day in them and they are spectacular. Breaking in is a bit hard, because they are thick and heavy, but it's not brutal. Once that is done, you're set for life. Pay once, and use them forever.

Good luck and keep us posted.

trapp

Practically Family
I noticed the new S&S Wesco engineer in British Tan for the first time the other night. The leather looks amazing. I like most of the features, including the slightly abbreviated shaft height (10").

Yeah, the label on the outside is a real head-scratcher. I suppose Wesco is using it as a way to distinguish the nail-down construction from their other boots. It's a bad look, marring an otherwise well-spec'd boot.

Lost Ronin

One of the Regulars
I noticed the new S&S Wesco engineer in British Tan for the first time the other night. The leather looks amazing. I like most of the features, including the slightly abbreviated shaft height (10").

Yeah, the label on the outside is a real head-scratcher. I suppose Wesco is using it as a way to distinguish the nail-down construction from their other boots. It's a bad look, marring an otherwise well-spec'd boot.

I don't care for it either, BUT I do believe they are making it as a reproduction of the boot as it was made back then originally.
Since most people wear their pants or jeans outside the boots, it's of little consequence. They are beautiful boots. I love my Wesco engineer boots. Best money I've every spent on a clothing item.

trapp

Practically Family
Is that really how the original Wesco boots were, with the label on the outside? If it's a matter of fidelity to one of their originals, I better understand their reasons. It just surprises me.

Of course the tag will be covered while wearing the boots. The linings of jackets aren't seen by anyone except the person wearing the jacket, either, yet I'd think twice about buying a leather jacket with a paisley lining. It's nice when things look right even when you're not wearing them.

In the end, incredible looking boots. If I grab them, I'll request they leave off the label when making them, and if that doesn't work, I've very handy with a seam ripper.

Chadwick

New in Town
Seeing some of the post pertaining to engineer boots not being comfortable for walking here. I must say everyone is different, but for me, I had my Wesco boots custom made to my measurements for my feet. It's was a $99 up charge and worth every penny. I've got 3E width feet. Nothing ever fits. With pull on boots it's worse . I also had the heel lowered 1/4th of an inch which for ME makes all the difference. I have high arches. So a taller heel just causes me pain.

I've got large calfs from a combination of genetics and boxing as a youth. My Wesco boots are the most comfortable footwear I own. I've literally walked miles in them some days.

There is some slight slippage at the heel. But that is just how engineer boots and most pull on boots are. Best money I've ever spent. They're the 9109 "Bump toe" Last .

Hey mate would you happen to have any more pics of the bump toe profile? Love that post and the look of your order there btw. Awesome choices.

If anyone has good comparison shots of Bump Toe vs Standard Boss toe especially after being worn-in I'd love to see em.

Cheers, guys

Last edited:

Deepwater

New in Town
This is my line up
upload_2018-10-9_17-23-50.jpeg

Lost Ronin

One of the Regulars
Hey mate would you happen to have any more pics of the bump toe profile? Love that post and the look of your order there btw. Awesome choices.

If anyone has good comparison shots of Bump Toe vs Standard Boss toe especially after being worn-in I'd love to see em.

Cheers, guys

Sure thing ! I take lots of pics of my boots LOL
IMG_20181012_075244.jpg
IMG_20181012_075244.jpg
IMG_20181012_075244.jpg
IMG_20181012_075401.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181012_075502.jpg
    IMG_20181012_075502.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2,362

Lost Ronin

One of the Regulars
You're a champion, Lost Ronin. Thank you.
This is my final dilemma before I can pull thw trigger on my order - standard Boss toe last, or 9109 Bump toe last...
Proving difficult

I actually went with the Boss toe last originally and it just didnt work for my feet. Even being custom made to my measurements.

Wesco is world class for customer service. Speaking to them I and they then realized the Wesco boots I had 25 years ago off the rack would have been the 9109 Bump toe as the standard back then. So I had my custom boots redone in that last. Spot on perfect.

I like the bump toe as it's different nearly every last for engineer boots is the unstructured flat toe type. Which is fine. But I like something a little bit different.

I'm happy I could be of help to you. I highly recommend the $99 USD up charge for custom made to measure. It is a massive difference. It's worth every single penny.

It takes all the guess work and difficulty out of fitting. Pull on boots are notorious for fitment issues.

I didnt have a choice being a EEE Width foot with huge ankles and 17" calves.

Also measure your feet in the socks you plan on wearing with the boots. Very important.

Keep us posted and happy boot shopping.

Chadwick

New in Town
I actually went with the Boss toe last originally and it just didnt work for my feet. Even being custom made to my measurements.

Wesco is world class for customer service. Speaking to them I and they then realized the Wesco boots I had 25 years ago off the rack would have been the 9109 Bump toe as the standard back then. So I had my custom boots redone in that last. Spot on perfect.

I like the bump toe as it's different nearly every last for engineer boots is the unstructured flat toe type. Which is fine. But I like something a little bit different.

I'm happy I could be of help to you. I highly recommend the $99 USD up charge for custom made to measure. It is a massive difference. It's worth every single penny.

It takes all the guess work and difficulty out of fitting. Pull on boots are notorious for fitment issues.

I didnt have a choice being a EEE Width foot with huge ankles and 17" calves.

Also measure your feet in the socks you plan on wearing with the boots. Very important.

Keep us posted and happy boot shopping.

Thanks again very much for your great help and advice.
Do you (or anyone else on here) have experience with the Bump Toe 9109 vs 9165 Standard Toe when operating a gear shift lever on a Harley? Either one better than the other?
If anyone else has any more comparison pics of Standard vs Bump toe I'd appreciate them...

Cheers fellas.

Lost Ronin

One of the Regulars
Thanks again very much for your great help and advice.
Do you (or anyone else on here) have experience with the Bump Toe 9109 vs 9165 Standard Toe when operating a gear shift lever on a Harley? Either one better than the other?
If anyone else has any more comparison pics of Standard vs Bump toe I'd appreciate them...

Cheers fellas.
I actually have a Harley or did when I got my boots my gear shifter was easy to use with the bump toe. It's not that much of an increase over the 9165 Last to matter. I did have forward controls and larger foot pegs too. Which helped.

I think you would be fine with either last as far as Harley shifting goes.

Chadwick

New in Town
I actually have a Harley or did when I got my boots my gear shifter was easy to use with the bump toe. It's not that much of an increase over the 9165 Last to matter. I did have forward controls and larger foot pegs too. Which helped.

I think you would be fine with either last as far as Harley shifting goes.

Thanks again, Lost Ronin. You're a legend.

Lost Ronin

One of the Regulars
Thanks again, Lost Ronin. You're a legend.
It's not a problem! I'm very happy to have been able to help!
To make it even better, Wesco keeps your sizing form on file. So when you want another pair of boots you can just build them online then submit the order. No need to measure again. Oh its dangerous!

Please do keep us posted. I like to see the builds people do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy