Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Err... Flaky Lips?

Incorporeal13

Familiar Face
So, I love red lipstick just as much as any of us here I'm sure. But I'm faced with an annoying problem... Every time I wear lipstick it eventually causes my lips/lipstick to be flaky (I know how gross this must sound, but surely it happens to someone else out there, too). Aside from moisturizing, scrubbing them with a toothbrush, washcloth, etc. (all tried methods...), anyone have any ideas? I've considered switching lipsticks to a more moisturizing brand (I use NYC Retro Red/Rimmel Alarm right now), but honestly, they all seem to dry out over periods of time and leave the same result. The only thing that fixes this problem is removal and reapplication, which is somewhat bothersome if you're in a hurry and have to reapply both liner and color. Any suggestion, or anyone who also has this problem?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I had this problem today, although I dont have it all the time.
Do you moisturize your lips at night?

I use this and I gotta say, my lips are smooth and as soft as a baby's bottom the next day :)

overnight_img.gif

A side from that, perhaps you are having a reaction to the lipstick(s) you are using?

LD

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I do a layer of Burt's Bees mint chapstick before the red lipstick and that helps with smoothness a lot, and the lipstick seems to wear better.

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Both of the recommended products above have worked well for me in the past. If you try lipbalm, try to give it some time to sink in before you apply the lipstick. You might also try applying a thinner layer of lipstick. Have you tried using a lip brush? Another thing that might help is blotting or applying some power on top to turn it into a kind of lipstain. If all else fails there are red stains and glosses that might work better for you.

Incorporeal13

Familiar Face
You know, I honestly hadn't thought about putting chapstick/lip balm under the lipstick... I always put it on top. Duh me. And I hadn't thought about trying out a stain, I like really vibrant color, so I never was much for glosses, but I haven't used a stain in years.
Thanks for the ideas and the help ladies!

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
I'm wearing Covergirl Outlast Lipstain in my avatar. It doesn't actually last much longer than regular lipstick on me but it can go on pretty vibrant if you want it to. I'm with you on gloss though!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Another thing you can try to prevent the flakiness is to put on just a tiny bit of gloss (not petrolatum-based, as that breaks down lipstick) on top of your lipstick and then blot. It won't give you that shiny glossy look, but will definitely help keep your lips from feeling dry too quickly.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
I don't know why red lipsticks tend to be so difficult. Is it the lipcolor that's flaking, or your actual lips that are flaking? Could it be the type of lipstick you're using? "Long lasting" lipstick tends to be dry and rubs off - it's not at all moisturizing. If you like vibrant color, you can still achieve if you blot, just apply and blot, then apply and blot again, and then apply lightly. On my dry skin, the effect is moist without being over done, and lasts for hours. As it fades, I just apply Burts Bees Moisturizing chapstick to keep my lips moist.

Incorporeal13

Familiar Face
Lily Powers said:
I don't know why red lipsticks tend to be so difficult. Is it the lipcolor that's flaking, or your actual lips that are flaking...

Le sigh... it's my lips. Haha. It'd be a much simpler problem if it were just the lipstick. I'm definitely going to take the advice here, and start moisturizing them more and trying the balm under the lipstick.
Somehow I retain semi-chapped lips year round. They never used to be like that when I was younger, but I'm going to go ahead and blame the weird climate here, because I live in Tennessee.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Incorporeal13 said:
Le sigh... it's my lips. Haha. It'd be a much simpler problem if it were just the lipstick. I'm definitely going to take the advice here, and start moisturizing them more and trying the balm under the lipstick.
Somehow I retain semi-chapped lips year round. They never used to be like that when I was younger, but I'm going to go ahead and blame the weird climate here, because I live in Tennessee.
That's actually the question I was going to ask to, and since you said it was your lips, another really elementary possibility is you're not getting enough water. I'm sure it's not the way with everybody, but I know there was a point in time when I was drinking lots of juice and/or soft drinks and not enough water, and my lips would crack to the point of bleeding, and I never thought of the two as being related until I asked a doctor. Just a thought, but if you don't think that's it, I'd go along with the other suggestion of lip balm/treatment.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Just before the nightly dousing of chapstick, brush your lips as well as your teeth. With a water rinsed toothbrush, that is. Helps to keep them exfoliated so there isn't dead skin cells flaking off.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
LadyStardust said:
That's actually the question I was going to ask to, and since you said it was your lips, another really elementary possibility is you're not getting enough water.

That is a very good point. Like when the backs of your hands get super dry, people seem to think that goes away with lots of moisturizer, when in fact its internal moisture that remedies it.

Drink a couple more glasses of water a day, give it a week-ten days, and then see where you are.

Products dont always fix everything.

LD

Lily Powers

Practically Family
MissAmelina said:
Just before the nightly dousing of chapstick, brush your lips as well as your teeth. With a water rinsed toothbrush, that is. Helps to keep them exfoliated so there isn't dead skin cells flaking off.

Sometimes I use granulated sugar on my face (and lips) to exfoliate. My skin feels so soft afterwards and it tastes better than soap!:D

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
What works for me is actually a combination of all that has been said before: drink enough water, exfoliate, moisturize (straight honey left on for as long as possible works wonders) especially at night, make sure your lips aren't dehydrated before you apply lipstick, and try not to mess much with your lipstick throught the day (I know, easier said than done).

Wearing red lisptick does give more work :p

Red lipstick tends to be drying because it has a very high content of pigments wich are drying (I have a matte pale pink and I have to say it is also quite drying), and since it is dark/bright it is very obvious when it feathers ans smudges, so more moisturizing (greasy) formulas that smear easily are not so wonderful. Difficult to find a balance I guess [huh]

Incorporeal13

Familiar Face
Lily Powers said:
Sometimes I use granulated sugar...
I use sugar a lot on my face for exfoliating, too. It feels delicious and it's nice to know that it's an all natural way to do so without all the harsh chemicals involved!

Medvssa said:
straight honey left on...
Just honey on your lips? I'm definitely trying that... although I can imagine already how hard it will be for me to battle against licking it all off. [huh]

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
Incorporeal13 said:
Just honey on your lips? I'm definitely trying that... although I can imagine already how hard it will be for me to battle against licking it all off. [huh]
Just honey... thick honey works best for obvious reasons ;) and yes, it is difficult but worth it ;)

Lily Powers said:
I want to try that treatment - honey at night - but my very big, very furry Maine Coon cat likes to sleep on my pillow and I fear I'd awaken with major fur face!

I think I worded that a bit strangely, I meant moisturizing every night, but not necessarily with honey. I do not do it at night for the exact same reasons ;) (regular lipbalm is already bad enough lol one day I am gonna puke a hairball too.... TMI? lol)

shamrocq

New in Town
Incorporeal13 said:

Last year my lips suddenly then to flake and sting for don't know what reason. I never had this problem before. I blamed it at my work environment because I had just moved to another location which is an industrial area (pollution). I'd actually gone bonkers about it for a year. And the weird thing is sometimes when I go back to my home town for a weekend, my lips got somewhat 'better'. But as I went back to work again, it start peeling and flaking all over.

I've tried drinking water, switching toothpaste (you wouldn't believe how many different brands of toothpaste I tried and left unused in the bathroom).
I was applying LipBalm all the time to stop the flaking but it wouldn't help at all. I even become paranoid of the water that i was consuming at my work place as they've change the water dispenser to another model.

Then out of the blue, one day I'd figured out my problem. It's coming from my water container, which was plastic Tupperware brand ofcourse. That time when I just moved to my new work place, I've decided at the same time to change my habit of reusing mineral bottle container to a proper one. So I got myself a Tupperware brand container as it was dub like best plastic container. I wasn't worrying about the chemicals leeching from it whatsoever. To my horror, it's really the container that have been giving me this problem. I stopped quickly drinking from the container and my lips have now came back to normal. I'm using a SIGG container now. Although it coated aluminium, at least it's better than the plastic.

Please try stop drinking from a plastic container and see if it helps.

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
My lips got very bad, and then I started putting Aquafina Hydrating Lip Oil on at night before bed, and wahla! Problem solved. It's hard to find now, though. It used to be on the check-out shelves, but now I have to buy a pack of Aquafina lip balms to get the lip oil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner