Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Esquire comment on hats

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
BlindeMan said:
Mr. Nick Sullivan - His Sartorial Greatness
nick_sullivan.jpg

Cast your eyes downward in humility

Yeah...that's the tool who makes snide cracks about hats. Ohhh he looks soooooo stylish there. What a d-bag! Sullivan will never be a Glenn O'Brien. How many times do you think he got a swirly in high school?

BlindeMan

Familiar Face
Stoney said:
It looks like he just got up from a nap in the lazyboy and threw on a jacket.
Now that's style!

I don't know - I'm pretty sure he was napping while wearing the jacket.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Nick ain't all that bad. Everyone has to have a job after all. It's not like he's drowning puppies.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BlindeMan said:
I don't know - I'm pretty sure he was napping while wearing the jacket.

Perhaps he was napping while writing his brilliant commentary as well.

At the very least he could have his chinos pressed.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Oh Esquire, where hast thou gone?

BlindeMan said:
Mr. Nick Sullivan - His Sartorial Greatness
nick_sullivan.jpg

Cast your eyes downward in humility
If Nick Sullivan is a fashion guru then I'm a
2782949348_134dc62d77.jpg

36F in Dallas at 2:00 PM. Not quite brass monkey weather.

Edward

Bartender
Meh, I'm not quite sure what to make of the praise of British GQ here.... I can only presume that your US options are unbelievably diabolical that it looks good by comparison. The last straw for me was when they annointed that charmless, and sartorially challenged oaf Boris Johnson as one of their men of the year (no comment on his politics here - I limit my venom at this point ot his distinct lack of style and grace). Never again shall I buy that publication. That said, I could'nt really get into it more than once or twice a year.... in my personal estimation, they got 'it' howlingly wrong at least as often as they got it 'sorta' right. The biggest turn off for me, however, was their apparently sincerity when they recommended things like a GBP200 pair of jeans, or a GBP500 jumper or whatever as serious, everyday wear for the regular man. I'm not above paying a little more for quality, but frankly mostly they seemed to be promoting labels as much as anything.

FWIW, Esquier UK recently had a very nice set of articles on bespoke suiting. Not quite The Chap, mind. ;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
Meh, I'm not quite sure what to make of the praise of British GQ here.... I can only presume that your US options are unbelievably diabolical that it looks good by comparison. The last straw for me was when they annointed that charmless, and sartorially challenged oaf Boris Johnson as one of their men of the year (no comment on his politics here - I limit my venom at this point ot his distinct lack of style and grace).
Power gives a man style the same as it gives him sex appeal. Ie: it doesn't, and women and men should stop pretending it does.

The biggest turn off for me, however, was their apparently sincerity when they recommended things like a GBP200 pair of jeans, or a GBP500 jumper or whatever as serious, everyday wear for the regular man. I'm not above paying a little more for quality, but frankly mostly they seemed to be promoting labels as much as anything.
See above quote re power, only replace power with money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael