Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Esquire Naval Tailors

PaidInFull24

Familiar Face
Has anyone ever heard of "Esquire Naval Tailors, Main Gate, Norfolk, Virginia"?

The reason I ask is because I have 2 Naval uniforms that I am trying to date. I bought them as part of a lot with another set of Naval dress khakis and a Navy officer's bridge coat. The dress khakis and bridge coat both have a Navy "Clothing Supply Office" tag inside with markings consistent with a post 1947 tag. The other two uniforms are a set of Navy dress blues and Navy dress whites. Both are marked with the "Esquire Naval Tailors" tag. The dress blues are also marked "Dacron and Wool". I believe both of them to also be post-war, possibly Korean war era for a couple of reasons 1)The label stating that the uniform is made of Dacron and wool. Is is my understanding that uniforms during World War 2 were 100% wool, but I was unsure as to whether towards the end of the war we might have seen uniforms being fashioned out of somewhat more modern fabrics. 2)Both sets of pants have a zip fly rather than a button fly. Most of the World War 2 pants I've seen have a button fly, however I also know that officers were responsible for their own uniforms, and I was wondering if it might have been possible that this guy paid extra to have a zipper put in rather than the button system.

The ranking on the sleeve of the dress blue jacket is Junior Grade Lieutenant and the ranking stripes and star are done in bullion. I believe the uniforms to have belonged a Robert W. Moore, as "Moore' is marked on the inside of the uniform, and when I purchased the uniforms there were other pairs of pants with the name Robert W. Moore in the same box. Could anyone offer any more information?

Thanks!
Nick

Gelina

New in Town
Esquire Naval Tailors was around in the early sixties, I know that from some unrelated research I've been doing. It was owned by a guy named Jake Friedberg. I'm not sure how long he owned it though. I got the impression from the research I've done, he was there a while.

Gelina

New in Town
If you are interested in buying Navy uniforms, I have one from the Korean war. I also have a Navy Pea Coat that was made the Naval Clothing Factory its a size 38, I think its WWII before or during. I have a Korean War Naval coat too but it has moth holes. The WWII one is in great shape.

tbob38

New in Town
This is a very old post. I am a retired Naval officer, and I bought my uniforms from Esquire in 1967. A sales rep came to my college and arranged everything, since I knew nothing of what was needed. Was pretty costly as I recall, but quality was good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21