Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Evening dress question

drummer4hire

New in Town
I know that you traditionally wear black tie to opening nights of plays and operas, but those are generally big-time productions. would it be acceptable to wear it to a college production opening night? Such as a musical or play? I have very limited opportunities to wear formalware, and would very much like to, but do not want to be out of place, or be wrong. What say you, gents?

drummer4hire

New in Town
Well, that sounds fine and dandy to me, then. Just wondered if any of you had experience with this. I've pondered it for a while. Now i just have to wait for something to come up, and afterwards I'll post pics. Hopefully. Still working the camera thing out

drummer4hire

New in Town
Thanks, Bugsy. You follow the after six rule, and the white in warm weather? Or being in temperate Californi-aye, could I squeek by with a white dinner jacket?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I thought it was traditional to wear WHITE tie to opening night at the theatre?

But yeah, Black Tie to a community theatre sounds fine. I see no reason why you shouldn't. If there's going to be any level of class there, then you should break out the tux and wear it. And yes, a white dinner-jacket is more appropriate for summer/warm climates.

dnjan

One Too Many
I thought it was traditional to wear WHITE tie to opening night at the theatre?
From my observation (slightly further north, but still on the west coat of the U.S.), it is not always even traditional to tuck your shirt into your jeans on opening night.

Wise1too

New in Town
There is a time and place for everything. You will stick out and that is not class. That is a desire to be noticed or at least different. Which is OK too. You need to "up" your calendar and events! But it's better to overdress than to under!

Last edited:

Annixter

Practically Family
From my observation (slightly further north, but still on the west coat of the U.S.), it is not always even traditional to tuck your shirt into your jeans on opening night.

You mean tuck your shirt into your shorts, right?:D

There is a time and place for everything. You will stick out and that is not class. That is a desire to be noticed or at least different. Which is OK too.

While the op will definitely stick out, I don't agree that it isn't classy to stick out by dressing well (this assumes that we aren't talking about ridiculous situations like wearing white tie to go cook at a volunteer lunch line for the homeless). If we used the reasoning that sticking out is not class, I think the majority of use would be classless by simply wearing a fedora with a suit on a daily basis. Even in San Francisco, which has a much more accepting attitude toward and appreciation for vintage attire than many places in California, few people wear fedoras, and someone wearing a homburg or pork pie would just be outrageous. Often times, if you dare walk into a theater, concert hall, bar, etc. on a Friday evening in S.F. dressed in a suit and fedora, eyes will be upon you because no one else looks that way. Does that make one look like he has no class? I think it says more about the spectators' class than anything.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
It is never wrong to wear evening dress in the evening. You might possibly look out of place to some people but you say that like it's a bad thing. ;)

[/thread]

While the op will definitely stick out, I don't agree that it isn't classy to stick out by dressing well (this assumes that we aren't talking about ridiculous situations like wearing white tie to go cook at a volunteer lunch line for the homeless). If we used the reasoning that sticking out is not class, I think the majority of use would be classless by simply wearing a fedora with a suit on a daily basis. Even in San Francisco, which has a much more accepting attitude toward and appreciation for vintage attire than many places in California, few people wear fedoras, and someone wearing a homburg or pork pie would just be outrageous. Often times, if you dare walk into a theater, concert hall, bar, etc. on a Friday evening in S.F. dressed in a suit and fedora, eyes will be upon you because no one else looks that way. Does that make one look like he has no class? I think it says more about the spectators' class than anything.

Quite. It's a show at the theatre, it's not like he is proposing outdressing the bride and groom at a casual wedding.

Lone Wlf

New in Town
In addition to formal nights on cruises, I've worn evening dress to a performance of The Nutcracker at Disney Hall in Los Angeles (there was one other guy in the audience in a tuxedo - the rest were sport coats w/o ties or more casual. We congratulated each other on our attire.) and to a college performance of The Messiah that took place in a church. I was definitely the only tuxedo in the place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters