Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Every mention of Alexander Leathers has been completely eliminated from the forum!?

majormajor

One Too Many
[video=youtube;cPdAUD5DTjE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPdAUD5DTjE[/video]

And you thought it was the Blues Brothers....:D;)

Paden

Vendor
One more time

WAIT
UNTIL
THE
COURT
CASE

:eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh:

Yes, same to you, wait til the court case.Perhaps YOU know only parts of the story.
By the way, the nazi comparing is more than strange to me.
What is wrong with you?

Last edited:

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Just for the record, I made NO mention of Nazi (or indeed, any other political party) in any of my posts.

So who were the Germans in 1940, that were just "trying to better their situation" by occupying Norway?

Civilian Germans?

I dont get offended by things like this, Im really just curious what you mean here?

And Merry Christmas to all :D

majormajor

One Too Many
So who were the Germans in 1940, that were just "trying to better their situation" by occupying Norway?

Civilian Germans?

I dont get offended by things like this, Im really just curious what you mean here?

And Merry Christmas to all :D

Hi Griff

I'll put in just one more post on this, but no more - this is WAY off topic, and for that I apologise.

In 1940, the population of Germany was around 80 million. Of that, around 1 million were active members of the Nazi party. Another 7.5 million were card carriers who did little, other than pay lip service to the party. In the Army, there were, of course, some dedicated Nazi sections, but the regular Army, Airforce and Navy servicemen were, in the main, NOT Nazis.

Yes, most of the Generals were Nazis (or paid lip service to Nazi dogma), but as almost 90% of Germans were NOT Nazis, I think to say that Norway was occupied by "Germans" is perfectly valid.

Feel free to shoot me down on this, but I will not be adding further to the debate.

As I write this in the last half hour of Christmas Day here in England, I hope all FLers have enjoyed a peaceful and happy Christmas:D;)

Peacoat

Bartender
When they first hit it big with I'm Your Puppet I was finishing flight school preparing for a year long vacation abroad. So I missed much of their success with Puppet and Shake A Tail Feather. I believe they recorded in Muscle Shoals, AL at maybe Fame or Muscle Shoals Sound. I get the two confused and can't remember which did what. I know Rick Hall was the driving force behind one of them, I believe Fame. Duane Allman was a house guitar player there for a while, and may have played on some of the Purify's songs.

majormajor

One Too Many
Hi PC

The late great Mr Allman could well have played on some of their later stuff. The two tracks I put up are from 66 and 67. I think Duane worked for Rick Hall in 68.

Happy days:D;)

Peacoat

Bartender
Exactly.

My memory was that Duane had been in Muscle Shoals before 1968. Randy Poe in Sky Dog: The Duane Allman Story notes that Duane was in the Shoals area in 1967, but mentions no recording work. Nor have I been able to find evidence tonight that he did any recording then. Maybe he was looking for work at Fame and didn't find it? He was back again in April 1968, but evidently played on no Fame sessions. He may have been there on an Hour Glass band project in April, but the evidence is contradictory. At any rate, it is clear that he was on a bunch of Fame sessions toward the end of 1968--as you noted.

I have one more book I need to look at about Duane's activities during that period, but right now I can't put my hands on it. I knew him in 1964, but that doesn't help us with the events of 1967--1968. Primary research only takes us so far; the rest is dependent on the secondary stuff.

This is a whole lot more fun than a contentious thread about who did what to whom that the bartenders are about to shut down.

Last edited:

crimsonofsam

One of the Regulars
Exactly.

My memory was that Duane had been in Muscle Shoals before 1968. Randy Poe in Sky Dog: The Duane Allman Story notes that Duane was in the Shoals area in 1967, but mentions no recording work. Nor have I been able to find evidence tonight that he did any recording then. Maybe he was looking for work at Fame and didn't find it? He was back again in April 1968, but evidently played on no Fame sessions. He may have been there on an Hour Glass band project in April, but the evidence is contradictory. At any rate, it is clear that he was on a bunch of Fame sessions toward the end of 1968--as you noted.

I have one more book I need to look at about Duane's activities during that period, but right now I can't put my hands on it. I knew him in 1964, but that doesn't help us with the events of 1967--1968. Primary research only takes us so far; the rest is dependent on the secondary stuff.

This is a whole lot more fun than a contentious thread about who did what to whom that the bartenders are about to shut down.

Merry Christmas from Muscle Shoals!

There needs to be a post-golden age music thread here. Quick, someone find a way to tie it in with clothing.

How about shoes?

big-feet1.gif

Peacoat

Bartender
Merry Christmas from Muscle Shoals!

And Sheffield, Tuscumbia and Florence. Duane knew them all, as did Helen and Anne.

Roll Tide.

Edit Note: HD, we can easily tie it in with the outlandish clothes Duane wore when he was in the Shoals area. He was the first long hair in the area, and his choice in clothing is still talked about today. Outerwear? A long Mao tunic during the winter that hasn't been seen since (and probably not then either). So, there we have it; still on topic.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner