Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Expert help needed, leather cleaning issue

Oat

New in Town
Hi all, I found this, my favorite jacket, a few years ago at NM bathed in a heavenly cone of light with a chorus of angels singing in the background. It is the perfect jacket for me. I wear it out at least 5 nights a week, it goes with almost everthing, and it keeps me warm well below freezing, yet I can wear it on summer nights without the liner in just a Tshirt up to 70F or so. Size 54, just a perfect cut for my body type, feels like a silk undershirt when wearing it.

I am not hard at all on any of my belongings, I have suits that I've worn 20-30 times that haven't been dry-cleaned yet, I handwash all my shirts, I am very good at avoiding problem situations that might damage clothes. The only "problem" with this jacket is that everyone wants to touch it when they see it, say when I am hugging someone. It is so soft that I am afraid a fingernail could peel off a chunk, but in reality, it is pretty resilient. Anyway, there are some spots which look like water splotches but they aren't. I assume it was whatever liquor or grease was on someone's hands when they hugged me. No one else would really notice them, but I do. Some came off with a damp cloth, but there are some that won't come out after a little bit of moderate pressure. I'm afraid to press harder for fear of damaging the leather.

It is a Prada jacket, goat leather, I think. The warranty card and sales slip stared me in the face for years in my drawer, but when I really need it to identify the material, it disappeared. I prefer to do this myself, and was wondering what is a mild conditioner or other proven product that might help me out here? Thanks in advance. :D

DSC04499.jpg

DSC04501.jpg

DSC04503.jpg

DSC04504.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
There is a recent thread on this topic. If you use the search feature, you might find it. I would look for it myself, but I am at work and don't have the time right now. Maybe when I get home.

Oat

New in Town
thx

I did see that thread, it gave me some good leads to follow, such as mfg's websites, but I am asking more a question of "which method for this type of leather?"

I guess my question more closely is: Is there is something I should do first, like use a mild cleaner, and if so, which one? It's such a nice jacket that I can't bring myself to use the "test an inconspicuous spot method." Besides, to me, every spot is conspicuous, even under the armpits. Most frustratingly, I need to try it on one of the splotches, and they are in conspicuous spots, or I wouldn't care about them as much. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner