Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fabulous Fountain Pens - Golden Era classics you can use today!

DerMann

Practically Family
I am rather new still, what is the Queen Mary event?

Most of the pens in my "collection" are representative of the milestones of the pen industry, from the classic 52V to the Snorkel. Would definitely love to get more people hooked on fountain pens :)

freebird

Practically Family
received the parker 51 vacumatic demi yesterday. It's a beauty, not at all in bad shape, no dents,dings or scratches to be seen. Just a general cleaning/polishing and it will be a nice looking pen. Have it traded for another Parker 51 demi vacumatic in gray that has already been restored. Just have to coordinate the transfers and I'll be good to go.

D

DeaconKC

The current Harley Davidson FPs on ebay are made by Waterman and are excellent writers. I've got 2 of them.

D

DeaconKC

I do love my striated Sheaffers from before the war.
007-1.jpg
006.jpg

Sovereign002.jpg

panamag8or

Practically Family
retrogirl1941 said:
What would be the best starter pen for someone who has never bought a foutian pen in her life? I was going to buy those dispoable varsity(but that means I have to find them first!).Any suggestions are appreciated.

Samantha

If you still haven't bought a pen by now, I reccommend the Sorrento by Aldo Domani. I picked one up (along with the ballpoint, in a set) for my wife at Office Depot for $19. It writes great so far, and it is a short pen... perfect for a feminine hand.

As for me, I'm still plugging away with the same gold Parker 51 I've mentioned in the other threads, and my new Waterman Phileas is a reliable backup, for when I want to go with a black pen. I use the converter, because there's just something neat about drawing ink from a bottle.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I am so proud

My 17 year old daughter has recently come to live with me, she enjoys writing stories, lyrics etc. (and hopefully job applications).

She stumbled across my trusty Parker FP in the top drawer that I only use occasionally.

Now she uses it all the time. Just took to it like a duck to water and uses nothing else

Of course, now I have to get more for myself ;)

DerMann

Practically Family
Aren't there proper pen stores in Australia, even online ones?

I only ask because most pen shops offer parts for repair, including replacement sacs.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I went to a local pen store in Grand Rapids today. I picked up a bottle of Private Reserve Lake Placid Blue to refill my Pilot Varsity (nearest Noodlers vendor is in Ann Arbor). It was interesting to talk to a vendor for a while. He recommended the Aurora line for a starter pen (since I doubt I'll be able to refill my Varsity too many times before it begins leaking). What do you all think of that brand? One can be had for $38 or so, plus the cost of a converter to take liquid inks. I was going to go vintage, but I keep getting outbid on Esterbrooks on eBay and I hestitate to go too high on something I can't check out in person first.

He also suggested I try a Pelikano, Pelikan's entry-level pen, but I'm afraid it's just too modern and high-tech looking for me.

-Dave

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
Dave, I have one of the Pelikano Pens on my desk at work right now. Although it certainly is far from a vintage look, it really is a relatively decent pen for the price- I think I only paid around $14.00 for mine. I'm somewhat reluctant to leave one of my nicer pens just laying around here in the office, and so far this suits my needs nicely.

David Conwill said:
I will do that. Any idea what the prices are like? $40 is about my top end right now. -Dave
The usual price for a Pilot Knight Fountain Pen is about $45 but you might find it on sale on the web. Plus it is a sturdy pen and should last a lifetime.

freebird

Practically Family
Received this one in todays post. A Parker 51 Demi Vacumatic, fully restored, which I received in trade for another 51 Demi Vacumatic (different color) which needed to be restored.

7-26-08parker51003.jpg

7-26-08parker51001.jpg

7-26-08parker51002.jpg

D

DeaconKC

It probably is still good. Unless it smells really funky, give it a try! Also you can probably get a Cross ATX on ebay for $30 or so, great writers, or you can probably get a Pelikan 150 for not much more.

DerMann

Practically Family
Lumme, I've gone a spree in an attempt to complete my "rotation" of fountain pens.

1) 1929 Parker Duofold Senior

duofold1gy5.jpg

2) Parker "51" Special set in maroon

parker51we1.jpg

3) Waterman 55

Don't have a picture yet, lost the one on the advert. Basic black hard chased hard rubber pen with a nice and big gold band with gold furniture.

4) Sheaffer Snorkel Sentinel in blue

sentinelpf0.jpg

5) Touchdown set in blue

dsc01773gs1.jpg

To be perfectly honest, I never intended on buying a Parker "51", but I had the money and thought I'd see what all the fuss was about. We'll have to see how that turns out. Now I'll have two out of the three pens used to sign the Japanese surrender :)

I also nabbed this little beauty off of the 'bay:

duofoldlsw5.jpg

Thought it might be a particularly nice parting present for a lady friend of mine. A Lady Duofold for a lady :D

freebird

Practically Family
Nice pens! What can you tell me about the Touchdown set (#5). I was given a set (black) that came from a relatives estate. Are there any other ways to identify them other than the ivory dot at the top?

penset.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy