Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New fountain pen owner. How do I use this?

StripedOne

New in Town
Not entirely certain if this is the correct channel. Barkeeps, move this to the correct channel if it's not, please.
Anyway, I just bought a fountain pen on an Ebay link on this site (Thanks, HistoryTeach!) and have managed to get it filled. However, and this is entirely my fault, but I cannot figure out how to get the ink flowing to write. I've sort of figured it out, but it takes about a minute or two to get it writing properly.
Any advice would be appreciated.

EDIT:
I figured it out just now. There is still the question of general use. Does anyone have any general tips for using fountain pens? Thanks again.

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Ink flows in fountain pens? No problem. If you have a very old bladder, (in the pen, not you lol)using the filling lever, flush the bladder a couple of times with warm water. But if the ink comes from a cartridge, remove the cartridge, unscrew the nib, leave the nib soaking in warm water.

When you get ink flow difficulties, have a bottle of ink to hand, a dip of the nib into said ink is usually enough to get the ink flowing.
Now you have a real pen, you have to see some of: the myriad of nibs available. Then you can pactice your caligraphy.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I actually have a fountain pen, but it won't write ever since I accidentally wrote on the sticky side of a sticky note. How can I fix this? I tried a tissue, sticking the tip through paper, and even alcohol. It still won't work.

StripedOne

New in Town
What kind of ink are you using? Can you describe the pen?

Green Wearever lever fill fountain pen from the 50's. I'd link you to the classified post, but I'm not certain that would be permitted. I think it's still there though, if you look on the second page.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
Diamond shape, with slit down center (I stuck paper through that slit in an attempt to fix it), and a plastic back with deep grooves. It also is cartridge fed. It's brand new actually, only the second time I used it.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
That's a cartridge pen.

Fountain pens were designed in an era before post-it notes and white-out. So they're not designed to write through/over them.

If you've clogged the nib with glue (which sounds likely), then empty the pen completely and flush it through a few times with warm water (maybe with a bit of soap mixed in) and then rinse thoroughly. That should clean it.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
Thanks, I find it odd though that they were selling a cartridge pen as a fountain pen. It now writes again. Should I let it dry, or just put it back together?

Last edited:

IXL

One Too Many
All I know, is that if one writes left-handed, fountain pens are "of the devil." When my father died I inherited four Mont Blanc fountain pens. Sadly, all had to be given to "righty-writey" friends.

Thanks, I find it odd though that they were selling a cartridge pen as a fountain pen. It now writes again. Should I let it dry, or just put it back together?

It's still a fountain pen. "Fountain pen" simply means that the ink is contained in a reservoir within the pen, whether that a pre-filled cartridge or one that can be refilled.

And I'd let it dry thoroughly, just to make sure it's cleaned, then fill it and away you go.

dnjan

One Too Many
An unfortunate side effect of using fountain pens is the user is more affected by paper quality.
Mead changed the paper used in their At-A-Glance pocket calendars and the new stuff bleeds ink (both new and old are labeled 30% post-consumer waste paper but the old didn't bleed).
So I switched to QuoVadis and it is working fine (at least the 2014-15 version).

GHT

I'll Lock Up
You know, when a lounger puts his hand up and admits a faux pas, you have just got to warm to him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner