Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fabulous Fountain Pens - Golden Era classics you can use today!

Two Gun Bob

One of the Regulars
I am a big fan of the classic fountain pens of the Golden Era, and am a regular user of same.

I'd have to say my three favourites are the 1940s Parker "51" Double Jewel, the 1930s Parker Vacumatic, and the 1920s Waterman's 52, though there are many more wonderful pens of the period that, if used with care, are as good as or better in most cases than the best pens available today. They are also quite asy to find, though prices vary depending on rarity, construction and condition.

I hope a few examples below may be of interest!

The ultimate fountain pen - my First Year (1941) Parker 51 Double Jewel Vacumatic-filler with aluminium plunger:

Mayman1.jpg

Built for the Art Deco skyscraper age - my first generation (1936) Parker Vacumatic Standard pen and pencil set in Silver Pearl celluloid:

VacCards1_800.jpg

A classic of the 30s - a Sheaffer's Oversize Balance in Marine Green Pearl:

Balance1.jpg

A necessary evolution - a 1947 Parker 51 Double Jewel showing the plastic filler plunger which replaced the aluminium original to save on war materiel:

DJ2GF2.jpg

Before the fall - a 1950s Parker 51 Aerometric (squeeze filler) pen and pencil set, before the 51 was simplified and cheapened in the 60s and was made obsolete in the early 70s:

P51CocoaUnCapped.jpg

Typical Waterman's 52 pens of the 1920s - the workhorse of the day as used by horror and science fiction writer H.P Lovecraft:

52s.jpg

lairddouglas

Familiar Face
First Year 51

That is an awesome P51. The Wedding Band cap on that pen is very very nice. So clean. Wow

One of my daily carry pens is a '46 DJ with metal fill unit in Cedar Blue with Binderized Needlepoint nib.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Those are some very nice pens, Bob! I'm fairly new to collecting and using vintage fountain pens myself. Most of mine are Esterbrooks. I love those interchangable nibs! :eusa_clap

lairddouglas said:
with Binderized Needlepoint nib.

Heh... I even know what that means! :D (Been hanging out at the Fountain Pen Network, I have!:p )

Cheers,
Tom

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Nice pens Two Gun Bob!

That Parker Vac is quite like mine, made in 1937. It's a wonderful pen. I love to write with it, but I have to be so careful with it($$). I wish there was somebody making good repros of some of these wonderful old pens.

Two Gun Bob

One of the Regulars
Thanks for your interest and the kind words, folks! :cool:

For the cost conscious looking for a workaday pen or not wishing to put anything expensive at risk 'out and about', there is much to be said for the excellent Esterbrooks previously mentioned, but if anyone wants a 1950s Parker 51 'on the cheap' it's also worth looking out for the cheap, cheerful and very good for the price Hero 616 which is often available on eBay for just a few dollars, or its more up market equivalent the Hero 100 for rather more. Heros are made in China as you might expect!

These P51 aerometric clones, while not as well made as the real thing, certainly look the part and in my experience write well. In fact like the real Parker they are a great companion for the Moleskine notebook, as used by Hemingway and many other writers and still available today. Just be sure if you buy a Hero 616 or 100 that it is the older version with the Parker arrow clip, later ones have changed this. Also bear in mind that cheap pens don't always get the quality control they should!

Hero 616:

hero616.jpg

DerMann

Practically Family
I too have a Parker Vacumatic in silver/pearl. Lovely pen, writes beautifully.

I started out with a Waterman 52V and have gotten very accustomed to the flexible nib. While the nib on the Vacumatic isn't completely solid, it doesn't have the ability to do the shading required for spencerian and the like.

To be honest, I bought the Vacumatic because I became obsessed with the filling system, nothing more.

I think it's rather interesting how Parker continued its golden/silver arrow motif through to the 51.

I'm in the process of restoring a Sheaffer Snorkel as a gift for my Latin teacher. Also another very interesting filling system. Aside from the petrified bladder, the thing still functioned after 50 years. Amazing.

I'll get pictures in a bit.

KenS

New in Town
It's nice to see some other fountain pen users here. I have been addicted to fountain pens since the third grade. I just haven't been able to break the habit.
Best regards, Ken.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Okay, you people, you've gotten me started...

I just bought some Pilot Varsity pens to try out at school. I've played with them a bit, and I suspect they'll be a good "gateway" pen to the real thing. The best part was, I was able to sell my wife on the "reusable" part. A fountain pen that you refill with liquid ink seems so much more responsible (fiscally and environmentally) than one using cartridges or a disposable ballpoint.

-Dave

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Angelo's Lifetime Pen

My grandfather, Angelo Canevari, was presented this engraved Sheaffer Lifetime Balance upon his election to the Board of Aldermen in Bridgeport, CT, November 8, 1933.

2537050882_fd5d6881d6_o.jpg

2537050938_ca23406313.jpg
2536232379_e81ba3c7b3.jpg

He used it right up till the day he died in 1955, aged 56. It then passed to his eldest daughter, my aunt, from her to my mother and from her to me. It worked perfectly on the first fill-up and has ever since.

I never knew Angelo, and besides a few photos and news clippings, this is all I have from him.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
What would be the best starter pen for someone who has never bought a foutian pen in her life? I was going to buy those dispoable varsity(but that means I have to find them first!).Any suggestions are appreciated.

Samantha

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
If you can find one..Waterman Phileas.

I hesitate to say this, because people will jump on me, but for your -very- first Fountain Pen, get one that uses ink Cartridges as well as a converter. I know when I started, it was much easier to plop a cartridge in then even consider an open bottle of ink.

When you are still figuring out if you like how it writes, etc. messing with ink is one too many variables, if you ask me.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
The cartridge way to go was what I was looking at due to my lack of patience with refills fo any kind! Thank you!

Edit: EEKK! I went to see hwo much new waterman's go for and I don't think I can spend that much on a pen right now, later definatley.Maybe something under $30. I know the cheaper things tend to be the cheaper in quality but, I am after all a beginner.

Samantha

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
retrogirl1941 said:
The cartridge way to go was what I was looking at due to my lack of patience with refills fo any kind! Thank you!

Edit: EEKK! I went to see hwo much new waterman's go for and I don't think I can spend that much on a pen right now, later definatley.Maybe something under $30. I know the cheaper things tend to be the cheaper in quality but, I am after all a beginner.

Samantha

Yea...the price on them has gone up....

Lemme go home and take stock of what I have...I should have a few starter pens that I don't really use much anymore.....I can send you one and some ink.

PM me your postal address, if you please.

freebird

Practically Family
I'm looking for my first pen also, I put a request out on the local freecycle list this morning. So far no responses.Maybe tomorrow.

Two Gun Bob

One of the Regulars
Fletch, thanks for sharing your family heirloom, this is a real treasure and a fine pen. :D

Fletch said:
My grandfather, Angelo Canevari, was presented this engraved Sheaffer Lifetime Balance upon his election to the Board of Aldermen in Bridgeport, CT, November 8, 1933.

2537050882_fd5d6881d6_o.jpg

2537050938_ca23406313.jpg
2536232379_e81ba3c7b3.jpg

He used it right up till the day he died in 1955, aged 56. It then passed to his eldest daughter, my aunt, from her to my mother and from her to me. It worked perfectly on the first fill-up and has ever since.

I never knew Angelo, and besides a few photos and news clippings, this is all I have from him.

Two Gun Bob

One of the Regulars
If you really must use cartridges (I only use them for travelling) then the Waterman Phileas is a great starter, it also has a real Art Deco look to it - very good for an inexpensive pen.

You can find them much cheaper on eBay, a dealer in France called lewertowski often sells the Phileas on eBay at low prices, I recommend him.

Otherwise, if you don't want to spend much money go for a Chinese Hero 616 (1950s Parker 51 clone) as I mentioned earlier, also found on eBay. No cartridges, but there's little simpler than the dip and squeeze aerometric filler! They also have the authentic vintage look

Once you get into the wild world of bottled inks you will realise cartridges are very limiting ;)

Phileas:

PhileasGreen.jpg

Hero 616:

hero616.jpg

Miss Neecerie said:
If you can find one..Waterman Phileas.

I hesitate to say this, because people will jump on me, but for your -very- first Fountain Pen, get one that uses ink Cartridges as well as a converter. I know when I started, it was much easier to plop a cartridge in then even consider an open bottle of ink.

When you are still figuring out if you like how it writes, etc. messing with ink is one too many variables, if you ask me.

Two Gun Bob

One of the Regulars
freebird, try and get a Parker 51, 1950s or earlier, if you can. There is no better pen as a pure writing instrument for daily use.

They are pretty much bulletproof, totally vintage (especially the earlier vacumatic-fillers, which have a a very Art Deco clip), and are ideal pens for anyone only used to ballpoints or rollerballs due to the firm hooded nib.

A typical boxed 'user' P51 pen and pencil set from the 1950s:

P51CocoaUnCapped.jpg

freebird said:
I'm looking for my first pen also, I put a request out on the local freecycle list this morning. So far no responses.Maybe tomorrow.

freebird

Practically Family
are Duke pens any good? I've been watching a "Charlie Chaplin" pen on ebay for a few days, but no knowing pens was hesitant to buy it.

edit:
also have been watching the new Waterman "Harley Davidson" pens, they're nice, not sure how practicall they'd be.

Two Gun Bob

One of the Regulars
Dare I say it, I was primary schooled on steel nibbed dip pens and inkwells :eek:

I use fountain pens because I hate ballpoints and I love all things vintage. Need I say more?

KenS said:
It's nice to see some other fountain pen users here. I have been addicted to fountain pens since the third grade. I just haven't been able to break the habit.
Best regards, Ken.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy