Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Facial Hair.....And Hats

Do You Sport Facial Hair?

• No - I'm clean shaven

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Full on beard - think Papa Smurf!

Votes: 17 6.8%
  • A full beard, but neatly trimmed

Votes: 62 24.7%
  • Moustache

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • Goatee

Votes: 54 21.5%
  • More of a five o'clock shadow type of guy

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 20 8.0%

• Total voters

psugrad98

One of the Regulars
I've been bearded pretty much all the time for the past 10 years, with the exception when I was out of work and went on interviews.

I originally wore it because I have a bit of a baby face, and I wanted to look older when I had to run meetings with older professionals, now I just like it, plus it's cheaper than having to shave and buy shave stuff all the time.

I like the beard, but am not too much a fan of a mustashe on myself.
bowtie3.jpg

suitandtie.jpg

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
I have a Mustache and Goatee and until recently I had that little spot of hair on my lower lip, but I got a labret piercing so I shave it now.

Me_lebret.jpg

Last edited:

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I shaved off all my facial hair at the beginning of the year to reaffirm what I thought before...that I look terrible without it lol. At least I get to start all over again. Problem is that my hats don't look as good on me anymore...that beard of mine really did change my appearance by a lot!

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
I find that when men start losing the hair on top, they often start growing more facial hair. And it's no secret that hats provide protection (and camouflage for those who feel bashful) for bald heads.

I have always worn hats, even when my hair was essentially a "ginger afro." But since the top of my head started showing, the hats are much more than a style choice.

I've had long sideburns forever (blame it on Elvis). I grew a beard for a little while in college, at the request of a girlfriend. Was clean-shaven (other than the sideburns) for 20+ years. This November, all the male teachers at my school did the "no-shave" thing. After two weeks of transition from "homeless" to "lumber jack," it began to look OK. I was surprised how good it looked (yes, it's got some gray, but so does the hair clinging to the side of my head). I also liked not having to shave in the morning. Since I was chosen to play Santa at the school Christmas party, I let it keep going.

I still haven't shaved or trimmed it. It's getting a little shaggy now. I kind of want to go for the Franz Josef II muttonchops look, but my wife didn't seem to excited when I showed her the Emperor's photo. She says she likes the beard, though. So I'm not sure when I'll trim or shave next.

One of my coworkers said that the beard and hat with my suit made me look like a "19th Century industrialist." Which I kind of liked. So I started wearing my derby more often.

But my best beard experience so far was riding a train in Japan and hearing this adorable toddler girl tell her parents with wide-eyed excitement that they were in the same car as Santa Claus.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Full beard but neatly trimmed. I had mine since the early '80s....

Stetson Nutria conversion
Conversion_Nutria_01.jpg

Royal Stetson
RS_Thin_3.jpg

Resistol Stagecoach, Chestnut
IW_01.jpg

Resistol Stagecoach, Silverbelly
Stagecoach_R_01.jpg

Resistol Stagecoach Conversion
Stagecoach_black.jpg

Last edited:

Gromulus

Practically Family
Full Beard (is there any other kind?) - sans hat.

Full Beard.JPG

Beard (needs trimming!) with new VS Pecan

Full Beard (needs trimming) with new VS Pecan.jpg

Stetson St. Regis Homburg

Gray Stetson Homburg.jpg

Last edited:

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I have a short beard. I used to have a long, bushy one, but I got sick of managing that and I think a short beard looks better anyway.
QE1cgWK.jpg
Actually, looking at this picture, I feel like it's time for another trim. This is my preferred length, in a picture I took a few weeks back:

3m8FdVt.jpg

Last edited:

frussell

One Too Many
I see that I posted here in 2010, which was about when my beard started to show some real grey. At some point between then and now, a boneheaded barber misunderstood my trimming instructions, and took me down to "Miami Vice" era stubble. What a horrible shock. A good beard covers a multitude of chins, apparently. Thankfully, it grows back fast, so when I have a dressy occasion, I go goatee, then back to full beard in about a week or two. My wife had never seen my chin(s), and was NOT impressed. Weird, up until my late 20s, I couldn't grow whiskers to save my life. I guess in my case, whiskers are manufactured as quickly as fat cells now that I'm older. At least for me, those grey whiskers are like kinky cables compared to the nice dark brown ones I used to grow. I never had to brush my beard in the past, but if I don't keep an eye on it, I've got strays that will stick out like someone rubbed a balloon on them. Getting older is an adventure in biology for sure. Frank.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I see that I posted here in 2010, which was about when my beard started to show some real grey. At some point between then and now, a boneheaded barber misunderstood my trimming instructions, and took me down to "Miami Vice" era stubble. What a horrible shock. A good beard covers a multitude of chins, apparently. Thankfully, it grows back fast, so when I have a dressy occasion, I go goatee, then back to full beard in about a week or two. My wife had never seen my chin(s), and was NOT impressed. Weird, up until my late 20s, I couldn't grow whiskers to save my life. I guess in my case, whiskers are manufactured as quickly as fat cells now that I'm older. At least for me, those grey whiskers are like kinky cables compared to the nice dark brown ones I used to grow. I never had to brush my beard in the past, but if I don't keep an eye on it, I've got strays that will stick out like someone rubbed a balloon on them. Getting older is an adventure in biology for sure. Frank.

That's one way of putting it.

Gromulus

Practically Family
At least for me, those grey whiskers are like kinky cables compared to the nice dark brown ones I used to grow. I never had to brush my beard in the past, but if I don't keep an eye on it, I've got strays that will stick out like someone rubbed a balloon on them. Getting older is an adventure in biology for sure. Frank.

Ditto that re. the gray whiskers Frank!

I find that a daily application of beard oil in the morning after I shower does help.

Look on the bright side, at least you can grow a real beard - unlike the vast majority of what I see out there today.

Last edited:

Lt.hats

A-List Customer
I grew my first mustache as a senior in high school (1984) and never looked back. Grew a beard for a year, even tried the mutton-chop/stache combo for a little while, but I always went back to the stach. Before I became a cop, I kept it down to below my chin, but due to department guidelines, I have to keep it short. (at least short for me)

when I retire, I am going to go full-blown Yosemite Sam. :D

Attachments

• stache.jpg
    stache.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 193
  • current stache.jpg
    current stache.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 224
  • retirementstache.JPG
    retirementstache.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 182

Forum statistics