Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Facial Hair.....And Hats

Do You Sport Facial Hair?

• No - I'm clean shaven

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Full on beard - think Papa Smurf!

Votes: 17 6.8%
  • A full beard, but neatly trimmed

Votes: 62 24.7%
  • Moustache

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • Goatee

Votes: 54 21.5%
  • More of a five o'clock shadow type of guy

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 20 8.0%

• Total voters

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
I go with the 'stash in the warm months
2bwgzm.jpg

and the goat for the winter months
2uhr4nd.jpg

its cold here longer than it is warm so I checked goat.

kyboots

Practically Family
A goatee here for past 12 years and a mustache since college. Cowboy boots or engineers since college, Aero jacket or Eastman. Perhaps since we appear to also have more non conventional looks with our hats etc., we already had the facial hair down as well. It is different and so are we. I think it is what makes our world flat! John

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I posted this a few days ago on another thread, but what the hey. I started these muttonchops for a play I was in last month. The role was an old retired sea captain who was deaf and wouldn't shut up. ;) Anyway, they were just barely at the passable level when the show went up, so I decided to keep them around for a while to see how they came out. They're pretty itchy, but I'm loving the look! This was taken Halloween eve, so add a couple more weeks foliage to them. I was, of course, wearing my topper that evening.

measNigelBruce.jpg

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
I've had a full beard since 1979. :D I hate shaving. :mad: As a teenager the novelty of shaving quickly wore off. Combining a beard and a hat tends to make up for the fact that I lack hair up on top. :cool:

Nebraska Schulte

Familiar Face
Put me down as another man with full beard but neatly trimmed plus a regular hat wearer. I've been wearing hats ever since I was a kid on a Nebraska farm. I've experimented on and off with facial hair for the past decade (mustache, goatee, full beard), and finally settled with the full beard neatly trimmed for the past 4 years. Works well for the professorial look. ;-)

Best wishes,
NS

CopperNY

A-List Customer
used to wear a beard with a hat. i've since gone cleanshaven (at the request of the wife after 14 years of beard), but may go back to a close trimmed beard for January/February for fun.

5049294984_7565f7741d.jpg

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Well, about a week ago it dawned on me that I wasn't shaving. I have not shaved since Thanksgiving, in fact, although my sideburns have had a head start since early November. At this point, I'm seriously considering an experiment trying to grow a beard. I would say my facial hair growth is somewhat slow, but it's almost been an entire month, and I've got about half inch stubble around. I'm thinking of seeing how I might look in a hat with a beard, and if I like it, then great, it'll stick around for a while. I think it's a cool look. At worst, if I'm not satisfied, I'll just go back to sideburns.

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
This is probably the tenth time I've posted this on FL. But I'm not letting that stop me.

527849784_ZQXmG-L.jpg

Nowadays though, I'm more like this.

726586961_U6tdi-L.jpg

I think it's time to bring the former back though.

Justin B

One Too Many
I was clean shaven for the better party of my life, but this past year I've grown a beard and I have to say...I rather like it.

T Rick

Practically Family
For over 20 years, I sported a full beard (usually neatly trimmed, occasionally going a bit wild an woolly). A year and a half ago, I shaved the sides to have a mole surgically removed from my cheek. Around the same time, I discovered one of my more recent hobbies, vintage razors (I've now got over a hundred single and double edged razors, with over 20 being 100 years old or more- these are what I shave with on a daily basis).

Discovered I rather liked the new look of the goatee, and have noticed it seems to be a much more popular choice for men at least in my neck of the woods (I see far more than I do full beards, especially on younger men, though I see in the poll it is a near even split between clean shaven, full beard and goatee).

JimWagner

Practically Family
Was clean shaven from labor Day until a couple of weeks ago. After the novelty wore off the reality of shaving every day reasserted itself. Beard's back.

Greyfox

One of the Regulars
I have a 35 year old daughter who would have no idea who I was without the beard. It's been around now for 37 years. The color has changed from jet black to what you see and after all it is Christmas.

June2010JennandLyn002.jpg
[/IMG]

swaviator

New in Town
I know what you mean! My daughter is 34 and has never seen me without a beard. I grew it while on vacation right after she was born. I've asked her many times if I should shave it off, which was met with a resounding, "NO"! Like yours, it has changed color over the years. I now keep it more closely cropped than when it was of full color but always well trimmed.

Now if I can figure out how to post a photo, I shall.

kshaver

New in Town
My beard finally comes in thick enough that I can sport a full beard without it feeling too drafty. (It took longer than it should have, but I am pleased at this point.) Here's me just before Thanksgiving, downtown Seattle during Snowmageddon 2010:

amoeb.jpg

freebird

Practically Family
Am having to re-grow my handlebar moustache. My barber accidentally trimmed it too short.

Last edited:

Charles50

New in Town
I have had a beard since I got out of the Army in 1970. The reason is because I get a rash or used to every time I shave. I wanted to shave it but my wife has never seen me without it and does not want me to shave it. I keep it trimed and short.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Probably not much in the way of facial hair, but you know, I'm working on it, and in a month it should be nearly twice as long in growth, as it's been five weeks for me without shaving.

Photoon2011-12-31at16222.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points