Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Facial Hair.....And Hats

Do You Sport Facial Hair?

• No - I'm clean shaven

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Full on beard - think Papa Smurf!

Votes: 17 6.8%
  • A full beard, but neatly trimmed

Votes: 62 24.7%
  • Moustache

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • Goatee

Votes: 54 21.5%
  • More of a five o'clock shadow type of guy

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 20 8.0%

• Total voters

Gromulus

Practically Family
Concur

Thems that can grow beards, ought to grow beards, at least some of the time. I cain't.

Amen. I hate to see guys with thin mustaches and/or beards. Some things are just not meant to be - don't force it.

(with the exception of only a few weeks, mustache here for the past 36 years)

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Currently, I am growing in a Howard Hughes styled mustache... I am normally clean shaven, but this is the month of November and my Coast Guard unit is competing in the Movember mustache challenge. You can search for us on movember.com if you like, we're the Juneau Coast Guard-Issued Mustache Team. The military often has mustache growing competitions, plus any money we raise goes to prostate cancer research. You cannot beat that. I'll post some photos this weekend of the stache and some hats.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's pretty cool!

As for me, I'm kinda tired of people asking me if I'm growing my hair out for No-Shave November. My facial hair is so thick, it's obvious that I've been growing it out since September or earlier lol!

One Too Many
2086657910106357411S600x600Q85.jpg
2562675490106357411S600x600Q85.jpg

Sometimes I like use my "Bigote" (mous..) here with my lovely wife (35 years in marriage)

Panda Moanium

New in Town
So after 77 responses to date, 55 - equating to over 71% - have facial hair of some description. Which would appear to back up my original observation - that the man who wears a hat is also more likely to have a beard or moustache than the average chap on the street.

Which leads me on to why that might be? More independent minded and less inclined to conform to society standards perhaps? Where is Freud when you need him!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
A man with a beard is hiding something.
A man wearing a hat is hiding something.
A man with a beard, wearing a a hat is evading capture.
I've got warrants. ;)

(Yes, my beard wears a hat.)

Michael Carter

One of the Regulars
A man wearing a semi automatic firearm is hiding something. But then the law tells him he must. Except in Vermont. A man wearing a hat is hiding the top of his head. I have a moustasche. I'm hiding my upper lip and the rather large (what I consider large) gap between the lower part of my nose and my upper lip.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
A man with a beard is hiding something.
A man wearing a hat is hiding something.
A man with a beard, wearing a a hat is evading capture.
I've got warrants. ;)

(Yes, my beard wears a hat.)

Off topic, but that reminds me of Joaquin Phoenix' recent beard and sunglasses look, you know, the Letterman interview.

joaquin-phoenix-letterman-video.jpg

That kind of look would actually be cool with a hat, come to think of it...

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Clean shaven now, but had a mustache most of my adult life.

I grew a mustache when still in high school, but it was very blond and not very visible. It darkened, and I kept it until June 1980 when I joined the USAF and had to shave it off for basic. After basic training I grew it back, within the AF's guidelines.

Grew it out further when on leave and once grew a beard while on a long leave.

Kept it until sometime in 1996, I think it was, when I was stationed on Guam. I got tired of having to constantly clear my scuba mask, and the various tricks suggested to keep it from leaking with the mustache never quite worked so I shaved it off. Grew it back after I left Guam and had been in England for a while and realized I wasn't going to be getting in much diving there.

I stopped shaving the day of my retirement ceremony. Let the beard grow out for months. It got a bit wild, so I finally trimmed it. Kept it for a couple of years, but was now having problems with it in that I had started using a CPAP and had air leaking problems. I tried to keep the area under my nose clean to get a good seal, but that was difficult. In '97 a career coach suggest that if I felt the beard was part of who I was to keep it, otherwise he suggested I go clean-shaven when looking for work. I shaved, went completely clean-shaven. (The decision was helped by the fact that I had some white showing in the sides and mustache.)

Since then I have discovered the joys of using good shave cream and a good brush to create/apply the lather, and using a double-edged razor blade. I'll probably never grow facial hair again. :)

Cheers,
Tom

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Apparently that whole Joaquin Phoenix thing was a hoax. Turns out it was really Lefty...

Heh, yeah, it's apparently a hoax by now, after his documentary I'm Still Here finished up, but it was funny/weird while it lasted. I hope Phoenix could get better roles again, as he had in Gladiator and Walk the Line.

Anyway, I haven't really gone out of my way in quite a while to try to grow a beard, so I probably can grow one, but it would take longer than most... Maybe I'll actually try it some time, later on. Generally, I think beards go with hats quite well, not only fedoras, but western and outback hats. Besides that, they can add height to a rather short looking face.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
So after 77 responses to date, 55 - equating to over 71% - have facial hair of some description. Which would appear to back up my original observation - that the man who wears a hat is also more likely to have a beard or moustache than the average chap on the street.

Which leads me on to why that might be? More independent minded and less inclined to conform to society standards perhaps? Where is Freud when you need him!

Actually, this may be true, but without data obtained from average chaps on the street, theres no way to make a truly valid comparison.

Surveys are a pretty good indicator, but never are they completely accurate. Even if I were to observe people on the street, the results could vary based on where I was.

I'd go with, based on the results from this poll, that about 71% of the hat-wearing respondents have, or have had, facial hair.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Actually, this may be true, but without data obtained from average chaps on the street, theres no way to make a truly valid comparison.

Surveys are a pretty good indicator, but never are they completely accurate. Even if I were to observe people on the street, the results could vary based on where I was.

I'd go with, based on the results from this poll, that about 71% of the hat-wearing respondents have, or have had, facial hair.

I'd have to agree with this. My reasons for growing out my facial hair are completely unrelated to my reasons for wearing a hat, although my reasons for both are greatly utilitarian :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass