Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Facial Hair.....And Hats

Do You Sport Facial Hair?

• No - I'm clean shaven

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Full on beard - think Papa Smurf!

Votes: 17 6.8%
  • A full beard, but neatly trimmed

Votes: 62 24.7%
  • Moustache

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • Goatee

Votes: 54 21.5%
  • More of a five o'clock shadow type of guy

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 20 8.0%

• Total voters

DAJE

One of the Regulars
My face hair is pretty similar to Lefty's "Kangaroo". So I hit "Other" meaning mo + goatee.

When I got together with my sweetie, I asked her if it bothered her and offered to go clean shaven. She said "NOOOOOOO!" So clearly not all women disapprove of facial hair.

C44Antelope

One of the Regulars
When I was 8 I had already decided that as an adult I needed to grow a mustache like my uncle Rod. However, as an adult I have come to the conclusion that when I have just a stache, I have a whole lotta face. So I bounce between a full beard and a goatee with mustache. When I had my full beard the last time, I had hoped it looked like
john-muir.jpg

but I'm not sure it ever looked that good. Now we've got this look.
74054_1681996487372_1161365238_31864402_6212021_n.jpg

Zamyatin

New in Town
I used to be clean shaven, looks more upstanding and respectable for someone my age. Now I'm into this wonderful lady who's into beards. I'm actually making an adaptation to my aesthetic! Truly remarkable. But now in my hats, conservative wool, and unkempt beard I look like a seriously ultra-Orthodox Hassid. Someone actually asked me if I was going to Yeshiva... I consider myself passionately Jewish, but in a heretical way, so perhaps this look is more indicative of my true self?

Pompidou

One Too Many
I have a goatee - best thing I've ever done for my face. I can't really experiment too much with different beards, because my cheeks don't have a very appealing growth pattern. Circle-beard is about the extent that looks good, though I might look into extending my sideburns down into that strap beard and connect it to the circlebeard. I do have even beard growth at the periphery, and it sharpens your profile with a stronger jawline.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I used to be clean shaven, looks more upstanding and respectable for someone my age. Now I'm into this wonderful lady who's into beards. I'm actually making an adaptation to my aesthetic! Truly remarkable. But now in my hats, conservative wool, and unkempt beard I look like a seriously ultra-Orthodox Hassid. Someone actually asked me if I was going to Yeshiva... I consider myself passionately Jewish, but in a heretical way, so perhaps this look is more indicative of my true self?

Thems that can grow beards, ought to grow beards, at least some of the time. I cain't.

Dave E

One of the Regulars
Had a goatee since '96, which turned into a full beard about 4 years ago. My wife has never seen me clean shaven, but when she saw a picture said she would leave me if I ever shaved. I briefly tried a goatee again for a few days last year, but realised that I really preferred the full beard (fairly closely trimmed, though).

Woland

One of the Regulars
It turns out that I have a disproportionately small chin compared to the rest of my features, and a goatee evens that right up :).

Identical problem, identical solution.
My children stare at me with disbelief (and a shudder?) when I present visual evidence of life lived without my goatee.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
My until-recently-boyish features never went well together with a beard, so I'm clean-shaven. Also, after a short experimentation, my wife has not "encouraged" me to try growing a beard again...

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Nobody has seen me clean-shaven in decades. I had a Van Dyke sort of beard starting when I went to college in 1973. (I had given it a trial run in high school, when I thought it enhanced my look as a magician - this pic is from then...)

MSG1972.JPG

About a decade later, my girlfriend->wife->ex convinced to stop shaving my cheeks and neck, and I never looked back. I generally don't let it get very long, but I wouldn't dream of ever shaving it off. (Pic from 2007, with Sterlingear pea coat and Stetson Temple...)

pea2007.jpg

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I'm wondering about some of you fellas that voted "other." Just what the hell does that mean?:)

It could be a lot of things, right? Off the top of my head, for example, it could long side burns, long nose hair, shaved eye brows ...

... not all at once, of course. ;)

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I was clean-shaven for a couple of weeks while job-hunting in 2003. Other than that, I've had a goatee for about 15 years.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
I grew a moustache at 20 to look older. A trim beard soon followed and I kept it, off and on, until I hit 40 because the gray was slowly creeping up my face like rising damp. The moustache lasted until 50 because it too was starting to turn white and had become an overacheiver re its original purpose of making me look older. No longer desiring to look older, the stache went and I've had a smooth kisser since.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I went clean shaven for a time -- see photo at left -- after listening to the propaganda that it's more professional
My bride hated it
She likes being married to a real He-Man
OK, that's a little thick
Seriously, she encouraged me to grow out the goat and moustache
Less seen the better, I suppose.

Sam

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
I've had a beard nigh continuously since the summer before my sixteenth birthday, except for a brief and disastrous period in the late spring of 2003. I've also worn hats for about that long. My beard is presently rather wild, but I intend to neaten it some next week, although not by too much.

5156375999_b5a46b0899_z.jpg

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I voted 'other' because I have a neatly trimmed beard and a bushy handlebar 'tache. I've had a bearrd for 12 years and my wife has never seen my chin. I've been thinking about letting the 'tache go solo to see how it looks, but I have no intention of ever being clean shaven. If I do shave the beard, since I wear it short anyway it'll be quick to grow back when I want.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I used to have a goatee back in college. I shaved it after four years. I thought about growing it back, but then started working for a police department and couldn't. Currently I'm just doing the clean shaven look, although that could change eventually.

Michael Carter

One of the Regulars
I've had just a moustache since right after basic military training in '81. Never wanted anything else. I never got into the goatee fad of a few years ago. I don't remember how that started, but it continues today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW