Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Facial Hair.....And Hats

Do You Sport Facial Hair?

• No - I'm clean shaven

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Full on beard - think Papa Smurf!

Votes: 17 6.8%
  • A full beard, but neatly trimmed

Votes: 62 24.7%
  • Moustache

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • Goatee

Votes: 54 21.5%
  • More of a five o'clock shadow type of guy

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 20 8.0%

• Total voters

Panda Moanium

New in Town
As someone who has had a goatee or beard for the past fifteen years or so, I've noticed that quite a number of contributors here also wear facial hair of some description. Which has got me wondering.... is this in line with shaven / unshaven ratios in society in general, or are hat wearers more likely to sport a hirsute appearance?

Personally I think the two go well together - a beard and stylish fedora give a chap a rugged manly appearance I tell myself.....:)

So what's the general preference around here? Are you a Grizzly Adams wannabe? :eusa_clap Or a suave sophisticated smoothie? :cool: Or perhaps a neither here nor there type? :eusa_doh:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
well, I am a bit scruffy right now, and I have sported a moustache (pencil) but generally I am clean shaven, so I voted for that.

theinterchange

One Too Many
I voted 5 o'clock shadow, as I normally have that or a clean shaven look going. [more the former, so it got the vote] But, I do also from time to time sport a goatee/moustache.

Randy

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As someone who has had a goatee or beard for the past fifteen years or so, I've noticed that quite a number of contributors here also wear facial hair of some description. Which has got me wondering.... is this in line with shaven / unshaven ratios in society in general, or are hat wearers more likely to sport a hirsute appearance?

Personally I think the two go well together - a beard and stylish fedora give a chap a rugged manly appearance I tell myself.....:)

So what's the general preference around here? Are you a Grizzly Adams wannabe? :eusa_clap Or a suave sophisticated smoothie? :cool: Or perhaps a neither here nor there type? :eusa_doh:

Myself, I've never had a hat made of facial hair. Seems it would be a little bit spikey, but might be softened with a fabric softener. Interesting concept,though, and a good side-product of the barbershop.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Before about a year or so ago, I have had facial hair of some sort for 25 years. I cant tell you how many times I was mistaken for 'the rabbi' at weddings, and such. Hasnt happened since Im clean-shaven. +o)

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I have been clean shaven for a total of about one month worth of time since 1978. In other words, I am a bit of a fan of facial hair! Beards, goatees, mustaches, long sideburns, soul patches, handlebars, mutton chops... you name it, I've had it. Currently it's just me and my big 'ol mustache.

1961MJS

Hi

I had to shave for my wedding in 1985, and I shaved for Scout camp in 1998, other than that I've have the full trimmed beard since the Winter of 1984. In college I wore a beard from October until April, then just the stache. The Scout camp deal was just to surprise people. I had a full beard when I got home a week later.

Later

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It depends on my mood.

big beard mood
IMG_2155.jpg

small beard mood
DSC_0097.jpg

goat mood
DSC_0493.jpg

kangaroo mood
DSC_0193.jpg

squirrel mood
DSC_0332.jpg

DOUGLAS

Since I was a teenager I have started to grow a beard starting in September or October and growing it till December then reducing it till only the handlebars remain. After that then it is a snip here and there till I am facially free of all hair.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Well, I'm generally clean shaven, and often having a five o'clock shadow as well. I actually only shave once or twice a week before my lack of shaving becomes too noticeable. Even so, I can't really grow a beard or mustache. I'm in the process of trying to grow long sideburns. I have had them before, but over a year ago. I just can't grow convincing facial hair; I've tried. It ends up being too short, and more like "peach fuzz."

Duper

Practically Family
I had a beard for the most of 30 years and now sport a goatee. I also had noticed the hat / facial hair look from many of the postings.

Neophyte

Attending private schools for the first 18 years of my life, I was never allowed to have facial hair. Needless to say, as soon as I graduated I began experimenting with facial hair. It turns out that I have a disproportionately small chin compared to the rest of my features (I have a big, big head), and a goatee evens that right up :).

I enjoy my facial hair, and it compensates for perceived flaws in my appearance of which no one can convince me otherwise ;). Whether it looks good with a hat or not, I don't know...but I also don't care lol!

Last edited:

frussell

One Too Many
I'm really lazy about shaving. I hate it like poison, and my whiskers come in in weird swirl patterns, making it more of a pain. One day in my twenties I just stopped. The beard is much easier, I just have to trim it once in a while. It's gotten less convenient since these damn wiry grey hairs started taking over, they poke out like porcupine quills. I did get mistaken for the moyel at a friend's child's bris, which was funny, since I was wearing cowboy boots and no hat for a change. I had a Leatherman on my belt, so I guess I could have done the job if need be. My wife lets me know when I'm getting too mountain man looking. If I was single, it'd be long enough to braid. I don't have any idea what I look like without whiskers now. Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy