Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fair Isle sweaters

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
You would think that a knitting machine, which the original Luddites would have hated as if it were the devil personified, would be soulless standardized things. Leave it to the Brits to make them as individual and as eccentric as old steam locomotives, or any of their various quirky sports cars.
The irony just struck me that my hand knit slipover is a hand crafted imitation of an item that was originally a mass produced machine made item! Who'd a thunk it?

Jovan

Suspended
It is somewhat funny how that happens. A lot of reproductions made today often cost MORE, adjusting for inflation, than they would back then. And these are just standard items like work trousers, jeans, etc. I reckon this is because a lot of the original methods, looms, and other such things used to mass produce some of these items are no longer available, sadly.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I think it would be foolish to return it, that's what I think. As it isn't likely my size, and shan't beg you for it. Are there any more in the shop?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
In answer to your question...

scotrace said:
I think it would be foolish to return it, that's what I think. As it isn't likely my size, and shan't beg you for it. Are there any more in the shop?

There were about three others left Scott, in large (which I have, so it's really medium to large) and X-large.

Joan

New in Town
PADDY said:
Mmmmmm - what do you folk think at first glance?

RalphLaurenjumper001.jpg

At first glance (and further glances, too), I say this is a brilliant design. I love way the stripes kind of fade into each other. The main thing, though, is the construction method. I can't see exactly how the shoulders are done, but it might be all in one piece.

Traditionally, you knit these sweaters in three tubes, one for the body and one for each sleeve. Then you cut slits for the armholes (yes, you cut the knitted fabric with scissors) and sew the sleeves into that. (Norwegian ski sweaters are done this way, too.) This gives you that dropped shoulder (see the Edward VIII illustration), which isn't flattering on a lot of people, partly because of the shoulder line and partly because of the fabric that bunches under the arms.

This one looks like the body and sleeves were each knitted in the round to the underarms and then the yoke (sleeves and body) knitted all as one piece to almost to the shoulder. (Knitting by hand, this is how I would do it. Icelandic sweaters are done this way. Knitting on a machine, you're stuck with flat pieces that you have to shape and sew together.)

Edit: Now that I look at the ribbing more closely, I can see it's knitted on a machine (which only makes sense for mass production, duh). So they've clearly put a lot of thought and care into shaping the sleeve caps and aligning the patterns.

Anyway, the line of the shoulder is much nicer IMO, you have that lovely continuity of the stitch pattern, and the overall shape is better. Plus, as I say, I love the stitch pattern. I'd definitely keep this one. :)

Tripleterror

New in Town
Fair Isle Slipover & Shirt

What style of shirt, I'm thinking of collar style, would suit a Fair Isle Slipover best ?
As the slipover is predominantley a '40's to '50's thing I don't want to get the style wrong.
Would double cuffs suit ?
I'll be wearing it with either a Tweed jacket or a Half Belt.
Thanks
Simon

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
More or less any that has a complementary color. I tend always to wear a white button down collar oxford shirt. You know, the KISS principal (Keep It Simple, Stupid.) The Fair Isle sweater has so much going on that a solid color shirt is really pretty much required.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Forever in Fair Isle"

"No its Not Chanteusecarey and Family, But the Sullivan Family of Camberwell Melbourne, Australia"

thesullivansfamilyausschnitt.jpg

6222.jpg

John, Tom, and, young Terry in fair isles knitted by kindly widowed neighbour Mrs Ida Jessop

thesullivansfamilyausschnitt.jpg

thesullivansfamilysit.jpg

johnandsue.jpg

John in yet another, "Fetching" Fair Isle sleeveless pullover

sullivanschH9b.jpg

sullivanschH9c.jpg

Afternoon tea with lammingtons at the Sullivan residence

mike

Call Me a Cab
Matt Deckard said:
/\

I have that same exact sweater... i think from last years lineup.

It was an Ebay catch.

I've lost out on several ebay auctions for it, and was lucky enough to get it this time for about half of what it's gone for prior! I have some brown/green Fair Isles, I really like that this one & I think it will work more with a more blue/gray color scheme. Now I have all my bases covered, Fair Isley-speaking :p

vonwotan

Practically Family
I am on my third sweater from Thistle & Broom. Most of the money for these sweaters go directly to the weavers who make them to order in their homes. They have been very accomodating and the sweaters are both beautiful and execellent quality. I am very difficult to fit so the ladies have made mine to measure rather than using their standard sizes and the price was the same - a bit more than most US sellers but, they are authentic Fair Isle (and other) sweaters made from local shetland wool. Some of the proceeds go to support local organizations working to preserve traditional industries, etc. I don't feel at all bad paying a premium.

dhermann1 said:
Well, the Lounge strikes again. I would never have done this if I had never found the Lounge, and I promise you, I'm bragging, not complaining. The several threads on the subject of Fair Isle sweaters got me going again on what I always called "All Creatures Great and Small" sweaters. I've always loved them and coveted one since seeing that great series. To some they're Gumby sweaters, but to me, they're Tristan and Siegfried. I Googled Fair Isle and found a couple of sites that sold them. I settled on this: http://www.thistleandbroom.com.
These folks are dedicated to perpetuating the dying art of Fair Isle sweater knitting on Fair Isle itself. I won't say how much it cost, but it was a bit more than $29.95. But I will have a genuine piece of historic folk art, an art that may not last beyond this generation. It was hand knit by a lady named Helen, (and/or her daughter) over the last couple of months. It's my birthday present to myself. It's on it's way from the Shetland Islands this very minute. I'll post pix of it on me when it arrives, but here are the pix that I received this evening.

FairIsle.jpg

FairIslecloseup.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch