Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fall /winter boot Roper (wellington) vs lace up

John J

Familiar Face
Good al afternoon everyone .

Looking to procure a pair of boots for the cold season, need something that will look good with anything with exception of a suit . Must have a decent mini lug style sole ( prefer half sole for the looks) to handle slippery NE conditions.

I have outdoor boots for hiking/doing Home chores.... need something that will work with casual sports wear IE shirt , v neck sweaters, jacket ( no tie ) that I can also polish no suede.

I had a pair of true work wellingtons years ago that I wore out, they were work boots however and not nice enough for sports wear.

looks like many ropers (slip on and lace up) are plain enough to not be viewed as Cowboy! (I live in NY)

(Cowboy was OK when I lived in TN. But not now in NY.)

One thing I like about no laces is I'm in and out of peoples homes a lot and many times shoes have to come off thus slip on shoes are easy! But tall lace ups do look quite fancy and have the nice support.

opinions please .

many thanks

"John"

winterland1

Practically Family
Did you have a budget you were trying to stay in?
I don't have any ideas for slip on except a nice engineer boot maybe.
As far as laced I have picked out Red Wing Beckmans as one of my next purchases. Not cheap but very nice. Have the lug sole you are looking for.
http://www.amazon.com/Red-Wing-Heritage-Beckman-Featherstone/dp/B0018E0QLU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1381463110&sr=8-2&keywords=beckman
I have seen a few people here talk about these. Cheaper but horsehide and made in USA.
http://www.amazon.com/Thorogood-Boerum-Horsehide-Leather-30649/dp/B006XGGBXK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1381462580&sr=8-2&keywords=horsehide

Last edited:

John J

Familiar Face
Thanks for the Opinions Gents.

there are several western shops in my area Ill swing by this weekend and take a look ... again a plain roper might do the trick.

another problem is I'm a wide many shoes come in wides but not boots for some reason.

many thanks

'John'

I've lived in plain ropers for years.
I have some with stitching on the toes that does go more western.
You can't beat the plain brown or black roper with jeans to slacks to suits in my book.
I have Lucchese ostrich no quill black ones as well as Justin & Ariat ropers.
I can wear & walk in them all day.
As Rusty stated, the lacers are nice & warm. I have Ariats similar to those Justin work lacers.
Without the kiltie, they look like old brogans to me.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
I have a pair of pull on sheepskin lined boots that are similar in styling to wellingtons that I picked up years ago. For the life of me I can't remember the brand, I will post that tonight when I get home. Anyway, the leather is very high quality and takes a spit shine like dress shoes do and the treads are very aggressive. I have worn them through a few winters here in Vermont (tends to get a bit chilly up here) and have had no issues with them.

Edward

Bartender
Based on your needs, I would have suggested either a good pair of engineer boots, or for something a little 'tidier' when that is called for, I would happily wear a pair of RW Beckman boots with anything up to and including a suit. If you go the way of engineers, avoid the steel toe-cap models. They are heavier to wear, and you'll find if you walk a lot on them all day that they are much harder on your feet (looser fit, typically, in my experience) than non-steel toe versions. Mind you, my chunky, heavy Grinders are ideal for walking in heavy snow...

Another brand you might consider is William Lennon, made in England. http://www.williamlennon.co.uk/

The Traditional Work Boot...

P1080784%20copy-big.jpg

...or the Traditional Leather Derby Boot...:

P1080763%20copy-big.jpg

...(the latter perhaps with an additional rubber half-sole on the front) might well do your job. A few folks no here have them and are very happy. A pair of each, in all the colours (naturally!) is on my hitlist already...

John J

Familiar Face
Nice option,

Ive been surfing and surfing not many choices in my size short of custom (in a lace up) slip on wellingtons or ropers seem to have plenty of offerings in wide sizes. Chippewa does have a wide in a packer style but Id be stuck with western stitching on toe.

LL bean has a Chippewa made 6" distressed brown cap toe in wide sizes but I was looking for an 8 " boot.

I called all the western stores in my area (not many Im in upstate eastern NY) and none of them have lace ups, so that's out.

unless I try on and like some pull on roper boots It looks like a custom from Whites or The english folks $$$.

Ill keep looking for a time its not snowing yet..

"John"

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Did you have a budget you were trying to stay in?
I don't have any ideas for slip on except a nice engineer boot maybe.
As far as laced I have picked out Red Wing Beckmans as one of my next purchases. Not cheap but very nice. Have the lug sole you are looking for.
http://www.amazon.com/Red-Wing-Heritage-Beckman-Featherstone/dp/B0018E0QLU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1381463110&sr=8-2&keywords=beckman
I have seen a few people here talk about these. Cheaper but horsehide and made in USA.
http://www.amazon.com/Thorogood-Boerum-Horsehide-Leather-30649/dp/B006XGGBXK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1381462580&sr=8-2&keywords=horsehide
I have the Thorogood. They are cheap and comfortable but they are not that well made. The tongue of the boots cannot stay in the middle when wearing. From the photo you can see a hole which presumably is because of faulty stitching. There are actually 2 holes, one on each boot. I exchanged them and the new pair has three.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner