Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Families of the Lounge

Bugguy

Practically Family
I've moved from Wisconsin to Chicago to Cincinnati to Nashville to escape the snow and cold... This was my 4 year old grand daughter yesterday:

Faye 1.jpg

Attachments

• Faye 2.mov
    4.9 MB · Views: 254

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Last week I lost my big brother, Bubba. He was a diabetic (type 1), got Covid, was intubated and in a DKA coma for 17 days, which led to him contracting MRSA pneumonia while intubated.

He passed as I was rounding the final corner to enter his room. Typical, as he always liked to have the last word in every argument or conversation. So, I took the opportunity to tell him off for not waiting for me. The big jerk. Then I told him how much I loved him and would miss him.

He was a unique guy who lived fast and hard. He taught me to ride my bike ("just go for it - don't be a chicken sh*t!"), literally carried me home when I got swarmed by yellowjackets after I mistakenly stepped on a piled of dead leaves that contained their buried nest, built a ski jump on our driveway & took my dad's rowboat full of neighborhood kids down the driveway, across a two-lane road, through some bushes & trees, over a 12 foot drop-off, across another two-lane toad, and stopped just before a 50 foot drop into a frozen creek bed. Crazy!

He was a fried baloney sandwich connoisseur, and a mad scientist cook who came up with crazy concoctions to bring to family gatherings.

I'm still numb that he's gone.
20645442_1489413427748554_4593007373333417236_o.jpg

(My favorite photo of him - at about age 10. He was riding our little Honda 50 bike. He rode like a bat outta hell!)

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Last week I lost my big brother, Bubba.
Losing a loved one really knocks the stuffing out of you, losing such a wonderful wacky brother is going to take all your strength, and some.
You are doing it right Babydoll, talk to him, when the tears come, let them flow, crying is a tension release and very much part of the healing process. Perhaps not healing, more coming to terms with your brother's absence.

You have a long road ahead of you, but think, your brother might not be with you in a physical presence but he is forever in your heart. My condolences are with you.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Last week I lost my big brother, Bubba. He was a diabetic (type 1), got Covid, was intubated and in a DKA coma for 17 days, which led to him contracting MRSA pneumonia while intubated.

He passed as I was rounding the final corner to enter his room. Typical, as he always liked to have the last word in every argument or conversation. So, I took the opportunity to tell him off for not waiting for me. The big jerk. Then I told him how much I loved him and would miss him.

He was a unique guy who lived fast and hard. He taught me to ride my bike ("just go for it - don't be a chicken sh*t!"), literally carried me home when I got swarmed by yellowjackets after I mistakenly stepped on a piled of dead leaves that contained their buried nest, built a ski jump on our driveway & took my dad's rowboat full of neighborhood kids down the driveway, across a two-lane road, through some bushes & trees, over a 12 foot drop-off, across another two-lane toad, and stopped just before a 50 foot drop into a frozen creek bed. Crazy!

He was a fried baloney sandwich connoisseur, and a mad scientist cook who came up with crazy concoctions to bring to family gatherings.

I'm still numb that he's gone. View attachment 409373

(My favorite photo of him - at about age 10. He was riding our little Honda 50 bike. He rode like a bat outta hell!)

My most sincere condolences on the passing of your brother.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Losing a loved one really knocks the stuffing out of you, losing such a wonderful wacky brother is going to take all your strength, and some.
You are doing it right Babydoll, talk to him, when the tears come, let them flow, crying is a tension release and very much part of the healing process. Perhaps not healing, more coming to terms with your brother's absence.

You have a long road ahead of you, but think, your brother might not be with you in a physical presence but he is forever in your heart. My condolences are with you.
We lost Hubby's momma in early December (Influenza B turned to pneumonia- waited too long to get medical help), but we were able to get him on a same-day flight to Texas so he could be there to hold her hand at the end. Lily & I were on speakerphone with him & Lily was able to say goodbye to her Aimee (what we called my mother-in-law). It was hard, but we had a bit of closure because of being able to have that final conversation.

We did not find out how sick Bubba truly was until he was unable to communicate with us. My sister-in-law decided that we didn't need to know the truth of the situation, so she kept it from us for 4 days. My sister & parents were there barely in time, but Bubba was not able to talk. :( It crushed me to see my Dad weeping over the loss of his only son, his namesake. I don't know if he will ever be the same.

I am feeling all the emotions, as you can tell. I'm not okay, and that is okay.

Lily is also having a hard time. Uncle Bubba was one of her favorite people. A couple years ago the whole extended family went on a summer vacation together. Bubba went out to his favorite Irish pub with Hubby, Lily, & I for dinner. At the end of the meal Bubba ordered their 'Death by Chocolate' cake. It was enormous! At least 8 layers of cake, frosting, etc. - all chocolate. He grabbed two forks, gave one to Lily, and told her "it's just you and me, kid - you gotta do your part and eat this so I don't have to". Oh, my! She ran over to him and gave him a huge bear hug. (I got a photo of it - attached). The look of utter bliss on her face as she dug in. That moment will live with me forever.

66353588_10156793680129234_7092930136185503744_n.jpg

We lost Hubby's momma in early December (Influenza B turned to pneumonia- waited too long to get medical help), but we were able to get him on a same-day flight to Texas so he could be there to hold her hand at the end. Lily & I were on speakerphone with him & Lily was able to say goodbye to her Aimee (what we called my mother-in-law). It was hard, but we had a bit of closure because of being able to have that final conversation.

We did not find out how sick Bubba truly was until he was unable to communicate with us. My sister-in-law decided that we didn't need to know the truth of the situation, so she kept it from us for 4 days. My sister & parents were there barely in time, but Bubba was not able to talk. :( It crushed me to see my Dad weeping over the loss of his only son, his namesake. I don't know if he will ever be the same.

I am feeling all the emotions, as you can tell. I'm not okay, and that is okay.

Lily is also having a hard time. Uncle Bubba was one of her favorite people. A couple years ago the whole extended family went on a summer vacation together. Bubba went out to his favorite Irish pub with Hubby, Lily, & I for dinner. At the end of the meal Bubba ordered their 'Death by Chocolate' cake. It was enormous! At least 8 layers of cake, frosting, etc. - all chocolate. He grabbed two forks, gave one to Lily, and told her "it's just you and me, kid - you gotta do your part and eat this so I don't have to". Oh, my! She ran over to him and gave him a huge bear hug. (I got a photo of it - attached). The look of utter bliss on her face as she dug in. That moment will live with me forever.

View attachment 409491
Great picture. Captures a wonderful moment with two people who are genuinely full of happiness and love.
:D

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks. This is my first immediate family loss. We knew it was coming for years, but did not expect it. He was a diabetic that didn't take good care of himself. I don't think he even knew how sick he was.

I have had to say goodbye to way too many family members. It's not easy. I can feel with you on this. God bless you and your family during this time.

Woodtroll

One Too Many

I'm still numb that he's gone. View attachment 409373

Deepest condolences on the loss of your brother. It's small consolation, I know, but it sounds like you got a lot out of the time you were able to share with him. You and your family will be in our prayers.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Deepest condolences on the loss of your brother. It's small consolation, I know, but it sounds like you got a lot out of the time you were able to share with him. You and your family will be in our prayers.
We did make a lot of memories. It is as though he knew he wouldn't hang around too long with us. :(

Babydoll, I'm so sorry to read about your loss. From your description it sounds like Bubba was one of those people that everyone needs in their lives--supportive to a fault, and no agenda other than to enjoy each others' company whenever you were together. Surely his departure was timed to save you further grief; he knew you were coming and didn't want you to have to experience his passing. Selfless rather than selfish. Good man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto