Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Famous People in Flight Jackets

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
Couple of interesting designs there. The old US CWU type looks in evidence (as with the MA1 before it, I believe there are a lot of forces around the world have subcontracted or copied the design). The leather ones are interesting - reminiscent of the PRC Air Force leathers we discussed on here a year or two ago. I wonder if, similarly, these come in Winter / lighter variants. The fur collar model in your last shot looks bulkier, perhaps it's a heavier jacket like a B15, whereas this one is more akin to an A2:

http://www.silvermans.co.uk/tabid/62/MILITARY/LEATHER+JACKETS/RUSSIAN+MIG+FLYING+JACKET/0/SKU/4-190-10186-2435/Default.aspx

View attachment 11682

I looked closely at the photos with the Officer wearing the CWU style jacket and it appears to be an Alpha copy from the zipper so just a nylon one and not the genuine USAF Nomex issue that is used by many Air Forces. I would guess he bought it as a private purchase jacket and as an officer could wear it. The leather jacket is the standard Soviet/Russian style jacket used by all the previous Warsaw Pact forces.

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
To add some names (sorry if already listed before): Julian Cope, Teardrop Explodes..Irvin jacket http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOHTPtB37gU
Marc Almond on TOTP with Gene Pitney, Marc wore an Eastman 'Luftwaffe' jacket, Stephen Stills of CSN wore a G-1 on several occasions, David Bowie 1978 tour (Stage lp cover, MA-1 jacket), Pete Farndon, James Honeyman-Scott, Martin Chambers (Pretenders) all wore assorted original A-2's and M-442/G-1's borrowed from their manager Dave Hill who collected original jackets, Chrissie Hynde B-15A on cover of Pretenders II. Harrison Ford's A-2 copy in Hanover Street was supplied by Quartermasters of Islington who did many war film uniforms in the late 1960's and 1970's. Finally, great video of The Clash filmed in the legendary Chris Farlowe's military shop in Islington, all wearing assorted jackets etc....Topper headon in a nice Irvin! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ScaGjwkg2Y

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
havocpaul said:
I looked closely at the photos with the Officer wearing the CWU style jacket and it appears to be an Alpha copy from the zipper so just a nylon one and not the genuine USAF Nomex issue that is used by many Air Forces. I would guess he bought it as a private purchase jacket and as an officer could wear it.
Good eye, well spotted - it's definitely the regular Alpha A-shaped zipper pull, not the rectangular one used on the nomex jackets.

zhz

Practically Family
Not sure if he is famous or not, but I like this photo:D
Jon Huntsman, Jr. in A2.
2533_110228002720_1.jpg

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Here's more pics of Huntsman's A2 jacket - our experts can decide brand/make etc.

It looks like Huntsman got this A-2 when he was the governor of Utah...which was from 2005 to 2009. Cockpit was the only official producer of military A-2s during that time. Of course, the jacket could be anything…Utah wouldn't necessarily have to purchase a military contract jacket for its governor…but it sure looks like a Cockpit A-2 to me. These jackets began what I call the second generation of the current issue A-2…the first generation being from 1988 until 1998.

BTW...the old guy's MA-1 is a repro Alpha.

AF

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Not famous I guess, but interesting leather jackets.

Lt Col Lance Bodine in 2004

retired Brig Gen Guy Walsh (right)

Lt Lance Tucker

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
IMO TC's jacket is far more interesting than Mick's jacket which is less appealing than a donkey saddle.:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda