Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Famous People in Flight Jackets

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
xckwnc.jpg

Edward

Bartender
That is Johnny Weissmuller (center), Gold Medal Olympic Champion. Set numerous records in swimming. Not to mention his movie appearances, and TV too.

I remember watching reruns of his Tarzan films beford the A Team on Friday nights in 83/84.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
It was the 1990s, we were all wearing clothes two sizes too large for us. Having always worn mediums, it took me til the end of the 00s to realise I was actually a small!

I'm in that camp too. Wearing a Large for a long time, just recently discovered that a size "M" actually is a better fit, in most cases. Never wore anything that draped like Jerry's A-2, however!

Edward

Bartender
There are several Etsy sellers doing copies of Murdock's jacket these days - essentially civilian A2alikes from the Eighties with Captain Murdochk's tiger and "Da Nang 1968" legend painted on it. I wonder if in ten years' time there will be a Gulf equivalent for the kids who grew up with the film version...

I'm in that camp too. Wearing a Large for a long time, just recently discovered that a size "M" actually is a better fit, in most cases. Never wore anything that draped like Jerry's A-2, however!

Hs, I look back at pictures of myself from the Eighties.... tshirt you could camp out under, jeans that I can only assume I must have gotten into with some form of vacuum air pressure pump, they were that tight...

I think it was all those baggy-baggies that put me off the A2 style for years.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Glenn joined the Navy after Pearl Harbor and was transferred to the Marines after Pensacola. In Korea, he earned the nick name "magnet ass," because of all the flack damage he came back with in the tail of his Panther. He earned his 3 Mig15 kills while flying an F-86F-30 "MiG Mad Marine". He flew this as a USMC exchange pilot with the 51stFw 25thFs in 1953.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Captain Angela Johnson, public affairs officer, Thunderbirds, with Brig. Gen. Steve Ritchie (USAF, ret.), ATG Javelin, strategic plans and development.

(click for larger)

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Remember that Ukrainian air force colonel who was held by the Russians for a while after he faced up to them outside his airbase? Here's a few more pics of the jacket he was wearing. Obviously a nylon version of the nomex CWU jackets, but interestingly it has a bi-swing back, suggesting to me that it's an old jacket, while some of the details suggest a non-Alpha brand perhaps.

EDIT: He appears to be wearing a nylon CWU jacket made by the Polish company Helikon-Tex with the removable fur collar removed.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy