Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Famous People in Flight Jackets

Edward

Bartender
No idea if these folks are particularly famous models (the contemporary fashion scene is not one I follow), but here are some shots from Doctor Marten's 'Spirit of 69' range currently being pushed in their stores, featuring their own reproduction of a vintage civilian take on the MA1:

AC387400.png
AC388400.png

Impressive commitment to an accurately reproduced skinhead aesthetic (especially the young lady's hair). Hopefully this is a sign that it's being reclaimed from the undesirables with which this look has been so commonly associated since the early Eighties. I'm intrigued as to what these are like; if they're more like Alpha of old, the black one might be a viable alternative for some to the considerably more expensive William Gibson Buzz model... albeit not everyone would be able to live with a yellow lining. (Not sure it would be for me either, but still a clever design-touch for a DM identity).

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Big J said:
At least his jacket fits- not one of those baggy jobs.
Don't assume all the "originals" fit tight. Pilots came in all sizes and weights, plus the jackets were often worn over several layers of flight clothing, not just a T-shirt.

Here's more pics of that jacket. Some extra zippers, but looks to be of good quality.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Speaking of The Right Stuff, two photos of Chuck Yeager and Jack Ridley, with the X1. Interesting jacket on Chuck!
0311003_7_zps65b33f0d.jpg

Maybe some one can chime in here? One of the readers claims Chuck is wearing an L2B jacket, the photo is from October 1947. When was the first L2B jacket issued? And for that mater, when were the L2 and L2A issued? I would like to know, I know almost nothing when it comes to these jackets, and there does not seem to be much information out there.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Don't assume all the "originals" fit tight. Pilots came in all sizes and weights, plus the jackets were often worn over several layers of flight clothing, not just a T-shirt.

Here's more pics of that jacket. Some extra zippers, but looks to be of good quality.

Nah, I just meant that it wasn't hanging round his ass like a wannabe gansta.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

Am I meant to know who that guy is? What domain of pop-culture does he (and she) inhabit?

Deacon211

One Too Many
Back a page or two, I dig the Brit flying gloves. A guy I knew had gotten some on an exchange tour and thought they always classed up the Nomex! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Am I meant to know who that guy is? What domain of pop-culture does he (and she) inhabit?

He's the cousin of Louis Theroux (a Brit who did a deadpan series of docs about living with whackos- survivalists and stuff), a Canadian, who recently starred in a mini-drama about a town in America after God talkes all the 'good people' away.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Back a page or two, I dig the Brit flying gloves. A guy I knew had gotten some on an exchange tour and thought they always classed up the Nomex! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They are pretty neat, aren't they. I've only seen them in white leather though.

Edward

Bartender
He's the cousin of Louis Theroux (a Brit who did a deadpan series of docs about living with whackos- survivalists and stuff), a Canadian, who recently starred in a mini-drama about a town in America after God talkes all the 'good people' away.

I love Louis Theroux. Man has balls of steel.... did you see the one where he was with the Neonazis and mentioned he was Jewish? Jinkies.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I love Louis Theroux. Man has balls of steel.... did you see the one where he was with the Neonazis and mentioned he was Jewish? Jinkies.

Yes! I saw it. He sure has got balls of steel, but the absolute innocence of the deadpan way he talks to these people is amazing! I'd be wetting myself laughing most of the time. I guess he can get away with some of the questions he asks because he really looks like he hasn't got a clue, and therefore isn't trying to wind them up.

Kind of like Jon Ronson; another Brit documentary maker who has the innocence of a child, but loves to spend time with very whacky people.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Maybe some one can chime in here? One of the readers claims Chuck is wearing an L2B jacket, the photo is from October 1947. When was the first L2B jacket issued? And for that mater, when were the L2 and L2A issued? I would like to know, I know almost nothing when it comes to these jackets, and there does not seem to be much information out there.

Darn, it happened again! Can some one answer my question on the L2 jackets? Every time I ask, the thread seems to go off on some pop culture nonsense.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Darn, it happened again! Can some one answer my question on the L2 jackets? Every time I ask, the thread seems to go off on some pop culture nonsense.

Maybe Chuck got an experimental jacket with his experimental plane?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore