Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Famous People in Flight Jackets

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
As a rule, I try to avoid watching the original nowadays - Lucas couldn't direct his way out of a box, and it's precisely because he didn't direct the Empire Strikes Back that it's the best of the whole saga.

True that. I saw Star Wars when it came out and I've seen it a couple of times since. I never enjoyed it - poor dialogue, lousy, derivative plot and overwhelmingly soulless. I've never understood its popularity.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
True that. I saw Star Wars when it came out and I've seen it a couple of times since. I never enjoyed it - poor dialogue, lousy, derivative plot and overwhelmingly soulless. I've never understood its popularity.

What, you don't like a Swachbuckling Errol Flynn movie, set in outer space?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
What, you don't like a Swachbuckling Errol Flynn movie, set in outer space?

I have not seen it ever in it's entirety but though I think Darth Vadar is an excellent villain Science fiction adventure just does not do it for me, well, maybe Flash Gordon. I would rather watch Errol Flynn as Captain Blood or Robin Hood anyday over modern stuff, but thats just me.

I've never understood its popularity.

While I enjoy the original trilogy, especially the Empire, I consider its technical innovation and vision of the space faring future (or the past, if you will) to be much more important than the plot or the acting. It came up with pretty much everything we're still seeing today as a standard. Most likely, your favorite SF movie owes its existence to Star Wars. Or Star Trek. :D

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I have not seen it ever in it's entirety but though I think Darth Vadar is an excellent villain Science fiction adventure just does not do it for me, well, maybe Flash Gordon. I would rather watch Errol Flynn as Captain Blood or Robin Hood anyday over modern stuff, but thats just me.

If you had watched the original, you would understand my statement. I remember watching it when it came out, and it did not take long to see where Spielberg stole the plot from!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
While I enjoy the original trilogy, especially the Empire, I consider its technical innovation and vision of the space faring future (or the past, if you will) to be much more important than the plot or the acting. It came up with pretty much everything we're still seeing today as a standard. Most likely, your favorite SF movie owes its existence to Star Wars. Or Star Trek. :D

I understand that but I can't do innovation when it's at the expense of everything else. I'm not a science fiction enthusiast - I appreciate 2001 a Space Odyssey the original Planet of the Apes and Solyent Green. All pre-Star Wars.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I understand that but I can't do innovation when it's at the expense of everything else. I'm not a science fiction enthusiast - I appreciate 2001 a Space Odyssey the original Planet of the Apes and Solyent Green. All pre-Star Wars.

Ah yes, a couple of Charles Heston's best!

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Yes I can go with Soylent Green, I think the world will be over crowded sooner than we would like to think. Originally titled Make Room Make Room(SF novel) I cant remember the author. And the original Planet of the Apes, yes another classic in the true sense of the word :)

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I am not savvy on flight jackets from the UK, so I don't know what type this is. Here is Prince William in his flight jacket.

I'm not an expert, but I think it's one of the new gore-tex lined types that replaced the green fabric Falklands War ear types. In either event, it's a shame that the RAF never issued a lighter leather flying jacket than the Irvin during wartime- it could have been a classic, like the A-2, but I guess even in 'summer' the UK is too cold for anything other than sheepskin at altitude.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Big J said:
I'm not an expert, but I think it's one of the new gore-tex lined types that replaced the green fabric Falklands War ear types. In either event, it's a shame that the RAF never issued a lighter leather flying jacket than the Irvin during wartime- it could have been a classic, like the A-2, but I guess even in 'summer' the UK is too cold for anything other than sheepskin at altitude.
I used to fly gliders when I was a youth and even in a hot, muggy Canadian summer when the temp was 30+ Celsius it was cool over 2,000 ft and I imagine it would have been cold at higher altitudes. So yes, if you're flying high enough, sheepskin would have been necessary year 'round.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Speaking of The Right Stuff, two photos of Chuck Yeager and Jack Ridley, with the X1. Interesting jacket on Chuck!
chuck-yeager_jack-ridley_zps2b0db29b.jpg
0311003_7_zps65b33f0d.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn