Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

favorite cars of the golden era

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Does this count? It's a car on a 1950 handpainted crepe silk necktie, made in postwar France.

-----------------------
1950Frenchtie.jpg

undertaker

Practically Family
Hard Question

Greetings,

I would hard pressed to pick one favorite. As a Desoto owner (1950 Custom Sedan) I would have to say they were great, but if I had to narrow it down to an all time favorite it would have to be the 1941 Lincoln Continental Convertable Coupe. Definately one sharp automobile.

linc4101.JPG

linc4101a.JPG

Regards,
J.S.

Wild Root

Gone Home
I knew a guy who had a ’39 Lincoln Zephyr four door… it’s an amazing looking car, powerful V-12 motor and plenty of class! But, for dependability, your DeSoto will not fail you! I can’t count how many times that Zephyr needed mechanical help… it seemed it was always in the shop... and it was a fully restored car!

Drive a MoPar for economy, comfort and dependability!

1b_1_b.JPG

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
undertaker said:
I mentioned my Desoto earlier. Here's what she should look like. Maybe we'll get there some day.

desoto_4k.jpg

desoto50.jpg

Regards,
J.S.

Ok, I've posted my car and it's not so perfect paint... lets see your car chum... I know I'd love to see your DeSoto... so, come on mack, make with the photos... GIVE!;)

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
Not a problem! The 1938 DeSoto's I feel were the most streamlined models that DeSoto ever built! I do love the 1936 Models... they were very elegant and streamlined too! It's really sad that DeSoto's are so rare now days... they were really good cars, in fact, they were second to Chryslers! The chain of luxury in the Chrysler family went like this

1. Chrysler
2. DeSoto
3. Dodge
4. Plymouth

All four were great cars, just Chrysler and DeSoto offered the Spitfire 6 and Fluid Drive (1941-1949). Dodge had Fluid Drive as well but, not a Spitfire 6. Plymouth was the basic bottom line make... in Special Deluxe models, they offered stainless trim around the windshield, an 802 model Radio, a Comfort Master Heater, a chrome horn ring and fancier door panels... not as fancy as the others but, still very well designed and one of the most reliable autos ever produced.

Just for kicks, here's a photo of a 1936 DeSoto... love the design!

DeSoto_1936_02_10_jpg.jpg

=WR=

undertaker

Practically Family
O.K.

Wild Root said:
Ok, I've posted my car and it's not so perfect paint... lets see your car chum... I know I'd love to see your DeSoto... so, come on mack, make with the photos... GIVE!;)

=WR=

WR,

I will see what I can do. Right now it is stripped and in flat black primer, not very atractive I'm afraid. It's a work in progress, at least thats what I keep telling my wife;) .

Regards,
J.S.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Primer black eh? Some guys paint their cars and leave them that way! Show it off my friend, so we can see the before and after!

Don't be embarrassed... I know I'd love to see your DeSoto whatever the condition!

=R=

Wild Root

Gone Home
Marc, those are some great photos of the 'Topper' Car! If you look at the first ones and compare them with the photo of the car when it was in the movie, you'll see they changed the grill! The grill was a little different when it was in the movie... they must have changed it in the 40's or maybe '39... and they changed it again in the late 40's or early 50's.

Interesting.

=R=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn