Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

favorite cars of the golden era

The Captain

One of the Regulars
This "Daily Driver" was parked near me a while ago.

large.jpg

large.jpg

plain old dave

A-List Customer
WW2 era: '49 Nash Ambassador

Post-WW2 (i.e. 1955+): 1961 Chrysler 300G. 2 doors, 2 carbs, cross-ram induction, 405hp and more buttons and lights than you can shake a stick at. Giddy up go.

Cameo Carrier

New in Town
plain old dave said:
WW2 era: '49 Nash Ambassador

Post-WW2 (i.e. 1955+): 1961 Chrysler 300G. 2 doors, 2 carbs, cross-ram induction, 405hp and more buttons and lights than you can shake a stick at. Giddy up go.

61 has a better front but you can't beat the rear of a 60. I'm biased maybe...Desi and I have one of those too.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cameo Carrier said:
61 has a better front but you can't beat the rear of a 60. I'm biased maybe...Desi and I have one of those too.

How about that Astra-Dome dash cluster? The first time I saw one of those, it was at night and it was glowing with its electroluminescent light. Looked like a domed city from a science fiction movie. One of the coolest things I've ever seen.

GWD

One Too Many
MrNewportCustom said:
A '59 Cadillacs is wonderful. Unless someone destroys it by chopping off the top, as was done to this unfortunate machine. :eusa_doh:

Lee

I don't understand? They didn't make a convertible '59?

I did a quick search and found several. An Example

HOP UP

Vendor
Tony in Tarzana said:
How about that Astra-Dome dash cluster? The first time I saw one of those, it was at night and it was glowing with its electroluminescent light. Looked like a domed city from a science fiction movie. One of the coolest things I've ever seen.

That Astrodome dash form the 60-62 Chrysler New Yorkers, Windsors and Saratogas and the kraziest, koolest dashes EVER !! :D I have one in almost mint condition and am on the lookout for another for a future project.

I call em the JUPITER II.....lol

H

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
If you guys want to see these cars in their natural habitat, fallow this link!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnAaGxeoTNc

Enjoy the clip, there's '40 model cars and earlier in this clip! Also, watch all the other great footage they have from Oregon of the same year.

I'd like to share this one photo with you folks... it's a photo of a stock '32 Roadster... to me, this is beauty.

1932_Ford_Model_18_40_De_Luxe_Roadster_2.jpg

It took me a wile to find this photo on the internet... 95% of the photos that Google came up with were of hot-rods and pro-streets... everything but a photo of a stock classic '32 Ford.

Forgotten Man said:
If you guys want to see these cars in their natural habitat, fallow this link!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnAaGxeoTNc

Enjoy the clip, there's '40 model cars and earlier in this clip! Also, watch all the other great footage they have from Oregon of the same year.

I'd like to share this one photo with you folks... it's a photo of a stock '32 Roadster... to me, this is beauty.

1932_Ford_Model_18_40_De_Luxe_Roadster_2.jpg

It took me a wile to find this photo on the internet... 95% of the photos that Google came up with were of hot-rods and pro-streets... everything but a photo of a stock classic '32 Ford.

Its nice to see that traffic conditions haven't changed much. One of those cars came pretty close to a pedestrian crossing the street. :eek: :p
I sure wouldn't want to be hit by one of those bricks. :eek: :D

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Forgotten Man said:
Say, isn't that a '31 Plymouth truck?

Here's a swell '31 Plymouth roaster for your good taste in MoPar's! ;)

1932-plymouth-pb-sport-roadster-2.jpg

Gorgeous. Isn't that a "Collegiate Special"?

I love the stock '32 Ford, too. I'd love to own one, but an original is probably never in the works. I have lots of pictures, though!

1932_deluxe_1.jpg

1932_deluxe_2.jpg

1932_deluxe_5.jpg

1932_deluxe_6.jpg

1932Roadster.jpg

Say what you like about the hot rodders, but their interest in old Fords has spawned quite the industry in parts for those cars. Try assembling a '32 Plymouth or Chevy from scratch and get it even close to stock appearance. Yet I'll bet I can get darned close to the above using few 1932-vintage pieces.

-Dave

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Well, I know that Plymouth's aren't as collectable as Ford or Chevy but, parts are out there! In fact, there are clubs for Hupmobile and Hudson and many other rare and obscure autos pre Depression. Even Essex which was a division of Hudson! I know a man who makes his own parts for his collection of Essex's! He is an engineer at Boeing... has great skill and makes reproduction parts of his own.

Hot Rodder’s use mostly modern high performance parts that resemble little or nothing like the original style of the car. There have always been men into cars ever since the invention of the auto.

There are plenty of great reproduction parts for early Fords; I believe that one day when I can, I'd build a '32 Ford ground up from reproduction Ford parts since they're making all steel bodies these days. Now, that would be a fun thing, to take all repro parts and make a stock '32 Ford! I think I'd be one of the only guys who'd ever do that.

Maybe some day.

JimInSoCalif

One of the Regulars
Those are some really nice '32 Fords. I expect there are not too many originals left, especially roadsters, as they were so popular with hot rodders. They and many other cars from the early 30's do look good with some two tone paint jobs.

I wonder how Ford sales might have increased in 1932 when they came out with the V-8 -- something Chevy did not do until 1955.

Cheers, Jim.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Its Hot August Nights time around the high desert. For the next 2 weeks, the roads will see hundreds of vintage cars driving around. One of the few amenities to living here, rust is practically non-existent and early vehicles are very common.

One of these days ... :eek:

JimInSoCalif

One of the Regulars
It seems the after market accessory suppliers saw the need for an outside rear view mirror long before the car companies did. Anyone remember when the auto manufacturers started to offer them? I don't think my 55 Chevy had one.

Cheers, Jim.

Flivver

Practically Family
JimInSoCalif said:
It seems the after market accessory suppliers saw the need for an outside rear view mirror long before the car companies did. Anyone remember when the auto manufacturers started to offer them? I don't think my 55 Chevy had one.

Cheers, Jim.

Outside rear view mirrors were offered as factory-approved dealer-installed accessories as far back as the late 1920s. And, as you indicated, the aftermarket was offering them long before that...as far back as the mid-teens. Inside rear view mirrors were factory installed in closed cars, at least, by the mid-teens.

But I don't know exactly when outside rear view mirrors became standard equipment. I would guess it was somewhere in the mid-1960s when safety-related equipment became popular. Does anyone here know?

According to industry folklore, the first car to be equipped with a rear view mirror was the special 1911 Marmon Wasp, driven by Ray Harroun, that won the first Indianapolis 500.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou