Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

favorite cars of the golden era

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Flivver said:
Sorry my post was construed as trashing vintage cars. Nothing could be further from my intent. I only wanted to point out how far we've come with easy to maintain cars. I love vintage cars and really enjoy working on and driving them. But I drive more than 500 miles a week to and from work and wouldn't have the time to properly care for a vintage car as a daily driver. So I save the vintage car hobby for my time off. I really envy those of you who *can* drive a vintage car on a daily basis.

No, don't feel sorry, there's no need, it's just some of the others who are talking "anti" vintage cars in a discussion about our favorite cars of the period... I know you like old cars very much! Never said you didn't.

Sorry that I came off as to imply that you were trashing such wonderful machines... wasn't my intention. ;) It just seems that whenever people get together to talk about old cars, modern cars are always brought up... don't know why... it really annoys me some times. To compare a vintage antique car to a modern car... it's really apples and oranges.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Acknowledging that I'm bringing up something that was discussed a while ago, I have to add to the Model A/Model B discussion.

A '32 Ford with a V8 is a Model 18. Only 4-cylinder cars are Model Bs. Common mistake, but I have to correct it whenever I see it being made.

-Dave

Jerekson

One Too Many
shortbow said:
Good stuff FM. Some of this stuff is like other threads on FL, where people argue why modern is better than vintage. That is all :eek:fftopic: .

If folks are so wedded to defending the latest greatest, I don't get why they would be members of a discussion board dedicated to old stuff and old ways.

Is FL about vintage or not? I'd just really like to know because this is not the only thread where vintage is either trashed, or ignored in favor of the flavor of the month.

You need to relax. You're trying to create problems out of nothing.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Jerekson said:
You need to relax. You're trying to create problems out of nothing.

Not necessarily so, he has an issue, as do I; why do some feel they have to compare antiques to modern? This is a discussion of vintage cars... why we like them, what cars we hope to own, and why... not to bring up responsibilities tied to a vintage car compared to a modern car's upkeep... which is pointless because, vintage cars can not be compared to today's cars.

I know I'm tired of ready comparisons of old to modern... I always felt that this was a place where we could talk about things we like to collect and why we like them... not about the modern stuff we can buy any day of the week... appreciating a vintage car or any collectable shouldn't be compared to modern products... like I said, apples to oranges.

We've moved on since the rift, let's talk about old cars.

One thing that puts a smile on my face is seeing another vintage car wile driving mine... always exchange a friendly wave and honk! Sometimes, I've even pulled over to talk with someone about our cars... made some friends that way. Owning and driving a vintage car is not easy, it's work but brother, it's sure worth it!

Warbaby

One Too Many
Since I have fairly caustic opinions regarding old cars (love 'em) vs modern cars (loath 'em), I'll refrain from adding my two cents (which would turn out to be more like a dollar and a half) and just post a couple of photos of concept cars from the 50s.

The 1951 Buick LeSabre

51BuicLeSabre.jpeg

Chrysler's K310 from the same year

51ChryslerK310.jpeg

It's an interesting comparison of the design aesthetics of General Motors and Chrysler. The Chrysler is a lovely, elegant machine but it's hard to beat the sheer audaciousnes of that Buick.

Flivver

Practically Family
I rercently saw the 1951 LeSabre in person...it is incredible!

The LeSabre and it's sister car the XP-300 influenced GM styling for years to come. For example, note the dagmars and front bumper design that showed up on mid-50s Cadillacs. And the airscoop at the beltline behind the front door showed up in modified form on the '56 Buicks.

To me, there is nothing better than seeing vintage concept cars. It is fortunate that so many were saved...particularly those from GM. With the exception of the 1953 Ford X100 concept (Ford's first), most of the 1950s Ford concepts were destroyed.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Flivver said:
I rercently saw the 1951 LeSabre in person...it is incredible!

The LeSabre and it's sister car the XP-300 influenced GM styling for years to come. For example, note the dagmars and front bumper design that showed up on mid-50s Cadillacs. And the airscoop at the beltline behind the front door showed up in modified form on the '56 Buicks.

To me, there is nothing better than seeing vintage concept cars. It is fortunate that so many were saved...particularly those from GM. With the exception of the 1953 Ford X100 concept (Ford's first), most of the 1950s Ford concepts were destroyed.

Awesome! Glad to hear the car still exists. Is it privately owned or in a museum?

Since you like those early concept cars, here are a couple more:

The 1954 Buick Wildcat II

54BuickWildcatII.jpeg

The '54 Dodge Firearrow

54DodgeFirearrow.jpeg

And this sleek beauty is the '41 Chrysler Thunderbolt. I especially like that slight bulge over the real wheel wells.

41ChryslerThunderbolt.jpeg

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
The '41 Chrysler "Thunderbolt" has concealed headlights... a feature they used on the '42 DeSoto.

The concept illustration:
1942DeSoto_1.JPG

Compared with the real car:
42_desoto1.jpg

I like the look of the finished car more then the illustration. And I hear that those concealed headlights were troublesome... still a neat looking car I think.

One of my favorite concepts... The Buick Y!

buickyhb9.jpg

Flivver

Practically Family
Warbaby said:
Awesome! Glad to hear the car still exists. Is it privately owned or in a museum?

QUOTE]

Both the Y-Job and the LeSabre are still owned by General Motors and reside in the GM Heritage Center when not on display at car shows around the country.

JimInSoCalif

One of the Regulars
Flivver, thanks for the correction and additional information. I had no idea that Ford still had the four cylinder engine as an option after 1932. If the last year for the four was 34, then Ford only went a couple of years without a small engine as I think the V8-60 was first avaiable in 1937.

And to others, I in no way meant to 'trash' old cars, as they were the cars I grew up with and I agree trying to compare new cars and older cars is apples and oranges. New cars are boring although I don't miss overheating and vapor locks one bit.

I think the best looking cars are some from the 30's and some from the 40's - two entirely different eras in design, but both had some great looking cars.

That small one passenger English car shown a page or two back reminds me of the ads in Popular Mechanics, Popular Science, and Mechanics Illustrated for the King Midget. Anyone remember those?

Cheers, Jim.

JimInSoCalif

One of the Regulars
David Conwill said:
Acknowledging that I'm bringing up something that was discussed a while ago, I have to add to the Model A/Model B discussion.

A '32 Ford with a V8 is a Model 18. Only 4-cylinder cars are Model Bs. Common mistake, but I have to correct it whenever I see it being made.

-Dave

I recently read an article - I can't remember where - that referred to a 1934 Deuce Coupe - Argh!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou